The Mourinho Thread

No. The point of his post is that a well defined and implemented identity is what gives a club stability and not necessarily the ability to retain the same manager for many years. A good example of how the board have contributed greatly to our lack of identity is how they invested tons into the academy and youth players with the promise of one day producing first team players out of the crop and changing the style of play for more attacking and expansive one and that was reflected in the type of players we were buying but then what did they did the most confusing thing ever by employing a manager who is the very opposite of what the club is aiming to achieve to oversee the project.

That's just poor planning and implementation of policy.they are all over the place with what it is they really aim to achieve.

You will never see well run clubs with an identity like Bayern and barca buy players and hire managers who go against the clubs policy/identity. The decisions from which manager to hire to which players to buy etc are done with great levelnof purpose at these clubs.

Just a little thing about your Bayern comment. Pep is a manager that's against the Bayern identity. That's why there's many Bayern supporters that don't like him, even though of the success they've had with him.

Yo Conficius, AVB was before that trio were at the club.

Lionsden is spot on with that latest post. It's the lack of vision that hurts any kind of stability. You needed a spoon but you got a knife.

Yeah I just read through, definitely agree with him and Peace's posts. We don't have any kind of identity because of the mismatch between players and management.. That what happens when you go after names as opposed to merit lol. I.e. Falcao = name

Not defending Fabregas lack of form but I'm surprised most people actually think his role is DM.

IMO, it's the same thing Lampard went through towards the end of his career here. He's too slow to play the no. 10, but he doesn't defend well enough to play DM.

IMO, it's the same thing Lampard went through towards the end of his career here. He's too slow to play the no. 10, but he doesn't defend well enough to play DM.

Spot on. I don't really get how anyone thought Lampard could play that position, he'd never done it before and looked completely out of his depth. But the question is, where do you actually put these players once they're past that AM capabilities.

Spot on. I don't really get how anyone thought Lampard could play that position, he'd never done it before and looked completely out of his depth. But the question is, where do you actually put these players once they're past that AM capabilities.

The bench :lol:

But really, I don't think there's a place for a player like that in 4-2-3-1. Bring him in when we're up and want to slow things down or are down and need one of the 2 DMs to go forward more, but they just don't really have the tools to play anywhere in a normal 4-2-3-1 setup.

True, but Klopp is just another Chelsea experiment. Like Peace was just talking about identity above, what exactly do we want from this team/any manager? We seem to hire managers that don't seem to get the best out of any squad we've built. Mourinho can't unlock Hazard's potential, AVB couldn't make Hazard/Mata/Oscar click together, Scolari couldn't bring the South American flare to Chelsea. What exactly are we building here? Let's be frank, our next coach won't last longer than 3 seasons, let's accept that.. So what's the long term strategy exactly?

There is flaws in any system, would Pellegrini get more out of Hazard and Oscar? Probably, but he also has no idea how to coach defending and it holds City back, give Mou or even Mancini/Benitez Kompany, Mangala and Otemendi with Fernandinho protecting them and our only 15 goals conceded record would be in some danger.

The bench :lol:

But really, I don't think there's a place for a player like that in 4-2-3-1. Bring him in when we're up and want to slow things down or are down and need one of the 2 DMs to go forward more, but they just don't really have the tools to play anywhere in a normal 4-2-3-1 setup.

Yeah exactly.

United signed 3 CMs in 2 years and they're all world class lmao. It's not like the club can blame a lack of options, hell even Vidal went for an equivalent of peanuts.

There is flaws in any system, would Pellegrini get more out of Hazard and Oscar? Probably, but he also has no idea how to coach defending and it holds City back, give Mou or even Mancini/Benitez Kompany, Mangala and Otemendi with Fernandinho protecting them and our only 15 goals conceded record would be in some danger.

For the life of me, I won't get why he plays Fernando!

In addition to what you said, I actually think his role is more like a trequatista/creative CM. More like Sneijder(at inter)/Pirlo/Xavi/Alonso's role. With good DM behind them they play well, but without one they look mostly hopeless when the team is under pressure.

Ramires provided that cover yesterday and he played well until Matic came into the game.

Just a little thing about your Bayern comment. Pep is a manager that's against the Bayern identity. That's why there's many Bayern supporters that don't like him, even though of the success they've had with him.

Bayern's identity is a combination of fast paced attacking football and possession football, transition of youth into the first team etc. A more refined version of united pre moyes if you will and guardiola even despite his more patient approach (tiki taka)is not a complete misfit like mourinho was to Chelsea's initial objective. For example Bayern will never hire a manager that rarely/never promotes youth, plays dull unimaginative football and parks the bus in majority of the big games because it goes against their identity. When/if guardiola leaves, I'm willing to bet they won't replace him with someone like mourinho.