General Thread

Billy.

On 09/05/2016 at 5:44 PM, Captain Ahmed said:

WOMEN'S SUPER LEAGUE 1 / CHELSEA 6-3 LIVERPOOL

errouge.JPG

It was really enjoyable on Sunday afternoon. I got there a couple of minutes after kick off so was a bit shocked when the people I was chatting with told me the score was 4-1. I missed their first goal and had thought we were 4-0 up. Among the four was an effort by Fran Kirby that would have been a contender for goal of the season if she had scored it in time to be nominated. She latched on the a great ball from Eni, jinked one way then the other to beat a couple of 'men' before finishing with a curling left foot shot. The ground erupted, it was a special goal.

Emma Hayes has put together a terrific squad. She rotates every game but the team never seems to miss a beat. On Sunday she was able to withdraw Eni Aluko and replace her with an even better player in Gemma Davidson. Gemma was brilliant as usual, setting up a couple of sitters which should have been converted as well as two more presentable chances. Granted squad building is way easier at the top of the women's game than it is in men's football but it's nice to see such a powerful group in blue.

Getting over to Staines for a game is well worth it in my opinion. If you can get there sometime, I think you'll enjoy it. I'm also taking my niece and a friend to Wembley. Be great if there's a good crowd for the final.

Katie Chapman:Ladies Player of the year

Chelsea Ladies captain Katie Chapman is the first winner at Friday night’s Chelsea Player of the Year Awards.

She will be leading out the Blues at Wembley tomorrow afternoon for the Women’s FA Cup final, as she did in 2015, a season that ended with the side as league and cup double winners, the first major trophies in Chelsea Ladies’ history.

It was that success and her own consistent form which led to her following on from Eniola Aluko who was last year’s Ladies Player of the Year, the first time the honour was bestowed at the Annual Awards dinner. 

Chapman has been speaking about tomorrow’s FA Cup final against her former club Arsenal and about the Chelsea Ladies side.

‘We have gelled really well together and we have had a couple of years now building as a team,’ she said.

‘We have recruited new players this season who have fitted in really well and we are looking good. We are not as good as we can be, but we are picking it up.

‘It is a magic moment being at Wembley and we wanted to go back. It has been a tough journey. Everyone wants to be in the FA Cup final so that makes it that much harder and we have managed to overcome Man City in the semi-final. It was a really tough game and we have made it to Wembley again. It is the home of English football and every kid dreams of playing at Wembley.’

Chapman has won the FA Cup nine times with five different London clubs but last year’s was especially enjoyable.

‘Lifting the trophy was one of the proudest moments of my career,’ she said.

‘I was captain of Chelsea, I absolutely love the Chelsea team, they are a great bunch of players and a great bunch of people and coming back to Wembley a second time, it feels like home.

‘I have been at Arsenal as well and have won a lot of trophies there but I do love this team. I have not been in a team that has been so together as Chelsea. This is my third season here and I am very much a Blue.’

-  Saturday’s Women’s FA Cup final between Chelsea and Arsenal kicks off at 2pm and is live on BBC1.

chelseafc.com

cfc.png

No complaints:Ladies reaction

Chelsea Ladies manager Emma Hayes is understandably disappointed after her side's Women's FA Cup final defeat to Arsenal but says the better team on the day won.

The Blues suffered a narrow 1-0 loss to the Gunners at Wembley Stadium, going down to a first-half wonder goal, but has no complaints about the result after seeing her team edged out.

'I don't think we have any complaints,' said Hayes. 'Congratulations to Arsenal, it was a fantastic performance. This is a reminder that it is a single game – it's not even about recent form, it's about showing up and putting in a performance. Arsenal did that today. They dominated the first half, particularly the first and second-ball moments. As we know in football, that's what usually gives you a heads up.

'At half-time we shuffled it about. I thought we were better when Niamh came into the game. Once we played a little higher up the pitch we slowly came into the game, created some chances and as you know, it's not always about having a million chances, it's about having the right one. We couldn't capitalise.'

Hayes admitted it was disappointing not to continue their undefeated FA Women's Super League 1 form to retain the Women's FA Cup trophy, but again insists the credit goes to the victors for their performance in the pressure of a final.

'When you look at our attacking talent and the goals we've scored this season, there will be some disappointed heads in the dressing room. As a coach, when you have to keep moving things around, you know it's because we're struggling to carry out the game plan. When we reflect on that as a team tomorrow, I'll remind the players what the game plan was.

'Credit to Arsenal, they put us under a lot of pressure and pressed us high in our half. They got their just reward for that. I wasn't surprised by how they played, they've probably got the highest player budget in the country.

'I felt at times we didn't quite have as much fight as we needed,' she added. 'But I can't sit here less than 12 months on, having enjoyed winning, without being gracious in defeat. Equally, I am a leader that will put the team in the best possible position to reflect and learn about what has been a disappointing day for the club.'

chelseafc.com

Capture.PNG

On 14/05/2016 at 6:32 PM, Billy. said:

we lost the final today. we were rubbish from start to finish all we kept doing was going long to kirby who is tiny and getting pushed off the ball 

Sadly yes we were horrible. I thought Katie Chapman was great in the middle and Gemma Davidson was brilliant as ever but we just were not able to get her into the game often enough. Our other ball player, Karen Carney, was even more isolated. I don't know how many touches Kaz had in the first half but it wasn't many.

Arsenal on the other hand were good, scored a great goal, and thoroughly deserved their win I'm afraid. As is often the case, the offical MoTM picker got it wrong and went for the goal scorer even though both Kelly Smith and their 24, who played wide right, made more impact for them. Even at the veteran stage of her career, Kelly really does look a class act. I was talking to a young woman at Wheatsheef park last Sunday about how we thought Kelly might do at Wembley or even id she would start. To our cost, we now know the answers.

At least my nieces enjoyed the day, screaming their heads off and even getting into a bit of banter with Bully of Arsenal Fan TV fame. He's a nice bloke actually. Full on support for his team but with a smile on his face and having a good time with everybody. A proper fan.

A few disappointments and criticisms: -

The attendance was a huge let down. When you consider that this was a local derby between two well supported clubs and that, unlike last year, kids tickets were free, then a crowd which was roughly 1,200 up on 2015's is nothing for the women's game to celebrate. Neither club nor the the two governing bodies, FA & WSL, got behind the game as much as they should have done. There was the odd media mention beforehand but no evidence that the game was actively being promoted.

Once again no Abide With Me. Why not?

I'm a big fan of Emma Hayes but she got the starting line up wrong. In my opinion she relies too much on Ji So Yun. Every time we play, Ji gets the big build up but she seldom lives up to it. Ji's reputation seems to me to be based on the fact that every once in a while she produces something special. One worldie every four or five matches is not the answer however. Minute by minute, game by game, Ji is more of a hindrance to our play than a help. She concedes possession easily and, rather like Mikel Jon Obi, doesn't put enough pace on her passes so that even the ones she completes, rob our attack of any sort of momentum. The contrast yesterday with Arsenal's ten, Kelly Smith, was stark. Swap those two around and we win comfortably. Ji's inability to retain possession and to produce good continuity play is the reason we couldn't get Gemma and Kaz into the game and one of the key factors in our defeat. Ji should not have started and my guess is that Emma, whose post game analysis is always honest and accurate, knows this better than we do.

The ladies have done the club proud over the last three years but they are bound to be disappointed with yesterday. One bad game doesn't make you a bad side however. In fact they're a great side and sometime between now and Thursday night when they face Man City at home, Emma will help them remember that. Good luck girls.

8 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Sadly yes we were horrible. I thought Katie Chapman was great in the middle and Gemma Davidson was brilliant as ever but we just were not able to get her into the game often enough. Our other ball player, Karen Carney, was even more isolated. I don't know how many touches she had in the first half but it wasn't many.

Arsenal on the other hand were good, scored a great goal, and thoroughly deserved their win I'm afraid. As is often the case, the offical MoTM picker got it wrong and went for the goal scorer even though both Kelly Smith and their 24, who played wide right, made more impact for them. Even at the veteran stage of her career, Kelly really does look a class act. I was talking to a young woman at Wheatsheef park last Sunday about how we thought Kelly might do at Wembley. To our cost, we now know

At least my nieces enjoyed the day, screaming their heads off and even getting into a bit of banter with Bully of Arsenal Fan TV fame. He's a nice bloke actually. Full on support for his team but with a smile on his face and having a good time with everybody. A proper fan.

A few disappointments and criticisms: -

The attendance was a huge let down. When you consider that this was a local derby between two well supported clubs and that, unlike last year, kids tickets were free, then a crowd which was roughly 1,200 up on 2015's is nothing for the women's game to celebrate. Neither club nor the the two governing bodies, FA & WSL, got behind the game as much as they should have done. There was the odd media mention beforehand but no evidence that the game was actively being promoted.

Once again no Abide With Me. Why not?

I'm a big fan of Emma Hayes but she got the starting line up wrong. In my opinion she relies too much on Ji So Yun. Every time we play, Ji gets the big build up but she seldom lives up to it. Ji's reputation seems to me to be based on the fact that every once in a while she produces something special. One worldie every four or five matches is not the answer however. Minute by minute, game by game, Ji is more of a hindrance to our play than a help. She concedes possession easily and, rather like Mikel Jon Obi, under hits her passes so that even the ones she completes, rob our attack of any sort of momentum. The contrast yesterday with Arsenal's ten, Kelly Smith, was stark. Swap those two around and we win comfortably. Ji's inability to retain possession and to produce good continuity play is the reason we couldn't get Gemma and Kaz into the game and one of the key factors in our defeat. Ji should not have started and my guess is that Emma, whose post game analysis is always honest and accurate, knows this better than we do.

The ladies have done the club proud over the last three years but they are bound to be disappointed with yesterday. One bad game doesn't make you a bad side however. In fact they're a great side and sometime between now and Thursday night when they face Man City at home, Emma will help them remember that. Good luck girls.

I was there to, I was behind the goal were the goal was scored, it was a blinder. near the end Davidson made some great runs to get into the box, when we got the ball down and passed we looked like we could do some harm but like i said we just kept playing long balls. I do agree Arsenal deserved the win. And again your right there number 24 cause our LB so many problems i lost count, and talking of our LB how many times did she give the ball away? lol 

Emma Hayes:No time to sulk

Chelsea Ladies manager Emma Hayes has warned her players to expect a campaign of ‘cup finals’ as she looks ahead of their FA Women’s Super League 1 game against Man City tonight (Thursday).

After winning the Double last season, the Blues boss thinks her side are the major scalp for every other club in the country.On Saturday there was the setback of a Women’s FA Cup final defeat against Arsenal and Hayes has warned the squad to get used to that pressure on a weekly basis.

‘Every time we play a game it's everybody else's cup final,’ she said. ‘Whether it's Man City or Liverpool or whoever, everybody wants to beat us.There's still a long way to go in the league and while everybody thinks it's a two-horse race, Liverpool will have a say in it at one point, Arsenal at another.‘We're not naïve about how hard it is to win.  We are three or four games into the league season, there's a long way to go and a lot of twists and turns.‘Women's football today isn't what it was 10 years ago. The days of Arsenal Ladies dominating with trebles and quadruples is, thank goodness, in the past. It wasn't a competitive league.‘Now, one of a number of teams could be in a position to win. The likelihood of trophies flipping between three, four, maybe even five clubs, is high.’

Hayes is backing her players to pick themselves up from last weekend and put in a strong performance in front of their home fans tonight.‘Ultimately, we don't have time to sulk,’ she said. ‘The players have got to pick themselves up and fight to get into the team.‘We'll bounce back. I've got a group that is together, we'll find solutions and it's my job to bring the best out of them after a massive setback.  ‘This is a journey over the course of a season and you're going to have disappointments. It just happens to be that the disappointment this week is in an FA Cup final at Wembley.‘We're playing for multiple trophies – that is one down. But there are an awful lot of teams that would have wanted to be in the position we were in, to be able compete for it.’

Hayes hinted at a possible change to the defence for this week’s game, following Niamh Fahey’s return to action from injury as a half-time substitute at Wembley.‘We've really missed Niamh, who is a quiet leader in the backline,’ she said. ‘I felt we improved as a team when she came into the final.’Fahey’s regular centre-back partner, Gilly Flaherty, has also looked ahead to tonight’s game and how to positively channel the frustration from Saturday’s game.‘I said to the girls: “Don't ever forget that image of Arsenal lifting the cup.” That hurt and we've got to use that as motivation as the season goes on. We'll take that into Man City.‘You don't want to dwell on it, but you've got to channel it in the right way – you can't just forget about it. It should hurt. If it doesn't, you have to ask why? We want to keep hold of our league title.‘The league is completely different to the cup. The champions are the ones who play consistently well over the course of the season so that's our aim. We know we can do it and we've got to remain focused on retaining our title.’

- Tonight's game at Staines kicks off at 7.30pm

chelseafc.com

cfc.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, manpe said:

Thought this video was really sweet.

Unbelievable cuteness.

Noticed the car Fran was driving. Did the ladies also get cars while we had the Audi deal or did Fran just go shopping? Maybe there was an option for players to buy the car they were using when the sponsorship ended.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure where to put this as it is not directly related to our ladies team:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41915005?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

But the lack of attention this whole issue has received is just appealing and speaks more than the actual racial abuse she suffered itself. 

And the FA should be absolutely ashamed of the way they 'handled' this. 

• 2 months later...

The ladies currently lie second in the WSL 1 table, two points behind a Manchester City Women side who have won every game they have played this season. That includes domestic and European matches. City visit Chelsea this Thursday evening in what, even this early, could be a title decider. This is a must win fixture for the Blues. Defeat would see us fall five points behind a team which just doesn't look like it's going to drop 5 points all season. Even a draw would, realistically, leave us needing to win at City later in the season to retain any title hopes.

If you're free on Thursday night and able to get down to Kingsmeadow to back the girls they could use your support. Tickets cost £6 adults, £3 children and concessions and can be bought from the box office from 5:30pm on the night. Kick off is at 7:00pm. There is free car parking at the stadium.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42853197

Kingsmeadow Stadium Details

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mana said:

I'm so annoyed that we didn't beat Man City Women at home. We were so close. So freaking close!!!! If that bloody chance went in...

We need somebody to help us stop Man City Women. Don't want City men AND women winning the league titles.

Oh well. 10-0 against London Bees a few days ago. Loved it. :lol:

Was planning to go to The Hive on Sunday but helped my daughter with some gardening in the freezing rain on Saturday and made myself sick. There are goal highlights of the game here.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge game on Saturday away to, second in the league, Manchester City Women.

Before City's loss to Birmingham last night it looked like we'd need to beat them to have a realistic chance of regaining the title. Now though, City may well feel the tables have turned and that it's them who badly need to win the game. Should be a tense affair featuring the two best sides in the country. If either team takes all three points they will become big favourites to be crowned Champions in May. The supporters coach to Manchester leaves Stamford bridge at 6:30 on Saturday morning; I'll be on it. Can't wait.

For anyone planning to be fast asleep at that crazy hour on Saturday, the game is live on BT Sport. kick-off 12:30pm

• 2 months later...

The ladies play their third FA Cup Final in four years this Saturday 5th May vs Arsenal at Wembley. Kick off is at 17:30 and a record crowd is expected. We met Arsenal in the 2016 final and their fans probably made up the bulk of the crowd. If you're in London on Saturday and fancy swelling the Chelsea contingent tickets are £15/ £5 concessions and up to four kids go free with every paying adult. Chelsea have sold out but tickets are still on general sale through The FA, or from the Wembley box office on the day. Get down there; you'll enjoy it.