Michael Essien

LDN Blue

Ozil is 4x better than Essien. No manager would be stupid enough to trade the german wonderki. I know believe the saying that fans tend to overrate their own players. Essien has been a great player for Chelsea but come on now.

Essien is a Chelsea legend, hasn't been in form this season, but when he was in form we were beating Man City, Arsenal and United. Definitely one of the strongest players in our midfield, he's a brilliant defensive playmaker, and a work horse. Could we do any better than him?, i don't think so. We don't need the money, why the hell sell him?, he's still got many years left in him yet. I would honeslty go mad if he went, i think the City bid is bull shit, but the Milan bid i can honeslty believe after losing Pirlo.

Ozil is 4x better than Essien. No manager would be stupid enough to trade the german wonderki. I know believe the saying that fans tend to overrate their own players. Essien has been a great player for Chelsea but come on now.

Some of the chances Essien creates sometimes are phenomenal, i don't know how you can look down on Essien like that, plus he plays different positions than Ozil. He hasn't had a good season, but he's an important player in the midfield, and some experience in the midfield we definitely need since Lampard cannot start all the time now.

Essien's Agent:

"He regularly has Jose Mourinho on the phone because they know each other well and have got on with each other since Jose was in charge of Chelsea.

But Real Madrid has never really appealed to him. Michael will stay at Chelsea, where he has another four years left on his contract.

He's very happy there, in a great city and a very good club which comes up against very good teams week in, week out."

http://soccernet.esp...-agent?&cc=4716

Ozil for Essien would be perfect.

You've read in my mind here ! If Madrid were to propose us to trad Ozil for Essien, I would accept it in a blank of an eye !

he's a brilliant defensive playmaker, and a work horse. Could we do any better than him?

No. He doesn't have any abilities which allow us to call him a 'playmaker'. He needs too much time to make a pass, and he doesn't really build game.

Some of the chances Essien creates sometimes are phenomenal, i don't know how you can look down on Essien like that, plus he plays different positions than Ozil. He hasn't had a good season, but he's an important player in the midfield, and some experience in the midfield we definitely need since Lampard cannot start all the time now.

I was tempted to counter your argument with a logical reply but when I saw your avatar and favorite player I realised it would be an effort in futility.

I was tempted to counter your argument with a logical reply but when I saw your avatar and favorite player I realised it would be an effort in futility.

Haha, well in that case i wont say a bad word about Robert Di Niro. No but seriously, yes he's my favourite player, but for that very reason i explained, i think he gets very underrated sometimes on this forum. Same for Alex, no one ever mentions some of the work Alex puts into the team, usually he's better than all our defenders.

Well you don't have to reply, maybe it's hard for me to see it the way you do, just like it's hard for you to say it the way i do, at the end of the day none of us have facts, maybe ones right and one isnt. Could be were both wrong. But i'm going go with what i think, and now i guess i'll expect the same from you.

No. He doesn't have any abilities which allow us to call him a 'playmaker'. He needs too much time to make a pass, and he doesn't really build game.

How doesn't he have the abilities?, he's probably our most creative midfielder in the 3 or in the 4. If it's slow and takes time that's Anelka for you, who slows down the flow of the game. And as for needing to much time, i believe it was Essien who dropped that ball in for Drogba against United, when he noticed Evra was off his line and Drogba was making a run, i would of said that was fast thinking. I think he does what he needs to do, this season when he was out of form after his injury you can pretty much say he was bad, because he was. As for playmaker, in his own way of course, we don't rely on him, i'm not saying he's a Cesc Fabregas or anything like that, i just think he's brilliant for picking out passes when he see's them. That was a brilliant pass he made to Sturridge in the F.A community shield, just a shame Sturridge couldn't quite finish it.

Never sell a player just after he comes back from injury - he won't fetch much on the open market and could end up being a huge bargain to someone. Give him another year. If he's back, sell him at a higher price. If not, cut your losses.

The thing is, Essien can do so many things so well, some have trouble assessing his true ability and value because nothing stands out. Chelsea would not have lost the midfield battle nearly as often last season with his healthy self in the mix.

Haha, well in that case i wont say a bad word about Robert Di Niro. No but seriously, yes he's my favourite player, but for that very reason i explained, i think he gets very underrated sometimes on this forum. Same for Alex, no one ever mentions some of the work Alex puts into the team, usually he's better than all our defenders.

Well you don't have to reply, maybe it's hard for me to see it the way you do, just like it's hard for you to say it the way i do, at the end of the day none of us have facts, maybe ones right and one isnt. Could be were both wrong. But i'm going go with what i think, and now i guess i'll expect the same from you.

Yeah. I definitely respect your opinion but I made the "Ozil is 4x better than essien" assertion on the basis on technical ability and their performance last season. Also taking into account the Injury essien sustained is extremely difficult to recover from coupled with his age, we just might have seen the best of Essien as footballers generally peak at the age of 25/26. What's the odd that Essien will match or exceed his best performance in a blues shirt again? would you put your mortgage on such a bet?

Ozil on the other hand was easily one of the best attacking midfielder (a position we are desperately deficient in) last season and at the world cup and he's not even reached his prime yet.

all the same I can't knock you for preferring essien over Ozil. and I agree with the Alex assertion.:)

Yeah. I definitely respect your opinion but I made the "Ozil is 4x better than essien" assertion on the basis on technical ability and their performance last season. Also taking into account the Injury essien sustained is extremely difficult to recover from coupled with his age, we just might have seen the best of Essien as footballers generally peak at the age of 25/26. What's the odd that Essien will match or exceed his best performance in a blues shirt again? would you put your mortgage on such a bet?

Ozil on the other hand was easily one of the best attacking midfielder (a position we are desperately deficient in) last season and at the world cup and he's not even reached his prime yet.

all the same I can't knock you for preferring essien over Ozil. and I agree with the Alex assertion.:)

Oh noes, why did you have to say that about he will never recover, yes i've tried to believe that this is just an injury nothing more, and i really hope it is. But he's still shown signs of his quality this season, just very little after his injury, and yes to be honest it did go on quite a lot when he was out of form when he had plenty of time to recover, but he's not the first one. Ozil is brilliant and always causes problems for the oppesition, but yes i do prefare Essien, however if Ozil reaches a prime in his career, which he will no doubt get better, indeed he should be the better player than essien. But i do think it's unfair, many people think Essien is the same age as Lampard, when he's 28, i still think he has more left in him. And that's not just me being bias cause he's my favourite player, i don't think a player like him could completely lose it at 28, maybe not be better, but couldn't exactly go suddenly down hill. But you are probably right, at first i thought you were really doubting Essien, i don't think we should sell him at all, let him prove himself next season that he still has it. Because i believe he has.