Chinese Food

Myself

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect, 99.9% of Europeans' Chinese food is shite. Come to southern China and I'll take you to taste the best proper Chinese food, my bill. Peace.

I guess the opposite is true for most western food in Asia too tbh.

Haven't been to Southern China before, how different is it from Beijing and Tianjin? If I'm not wrong different regions have different styles and influences. I couldn't really adjust to the food in Tianjin but Beijing was more suitable for me.

I guess the opposite is true for most western food in Asia too tbh.

Haven't been to Southern China before, how different is it from Beijing and Tianjin? If I'm not wrong different regions have different styles and influences. I couldn't really adjust to the food in Tianjin but Beijing was more suitable for me.

Hmm, maybe many of you will disagree but imo the western food in Asia, especially those international cities like HongKong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore etc etc is definitely on par with the food at actual western countries, if not better. But it depends on which restaurant though. Asian treats food very seriously I have to say ;)

Yes, you're spot on, different regions have different styles of food and the difference could be dramatic. Since China is relatively massive and has so many provinces and cities and towns and villages, the variety of style of food is countless, as a Chinese I still haven't tasted them all, I doubt I could in my lifetime to be honest.

The Southern China's food I mentioned is mainly Cantonese food (I'm Cantonese and I can't say I'm familiar with all the food in Southern China so apologies for the confusion). It's completely different from Beijing's or Tianjing's. Cantonese cuisine is one of the most well-known styles among Chinese food around the world, for example the most common dishes like "beef with black bean sauce" and "sweet sour pork" are all Cantonese cuisines although we rarely eat them here, "dimsum" as well. Obviously I'm biased but from my experience in my lifetime, traveling around China, traveling around the world, Cantonese food is still my hands down winner, nothing comes close.

Sorry for my poor English and hope you can understand lol. Due to my limited English, I can explain the essence of Cantonese cuisine properly so it's better click on this Wikipedia link to have a better understanding of it, obviously only if you're interested in ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese_cuisine

By the way, if you are a gastronome, HongKong will be an heaven.

Hmm, maybe many of you will disagree but imo the western food in Asia, especially those international cities like HongKong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore etc etc is definitely on par with the food at actual western countries, if not better. But it depends on which restaurant though. Asian treats food very seriously I have to say ;)

Yes, you're spot on, different regions have different styles of food and the difference could be dramatic. Since China is relatively massive and has so many provinces and cities and towns and villages, the variety of style of food is countless, as a Chinese I still haven't tasted them all, I doubt I could in my lifetime to be honest.

The Southern China's food I mentioned is mainly Cantonese food (I'm Cantonese and I can't say I'm familiar with all the food in Southern China so apologies for the confusion). It's completely different from Beijing's or Tianjing's. Cantonese cuisine is one of the most well-known styles among Chinese food around the world, for example the most common dishes like "beef with black bean sauce" and "sweet sour pork" are all Cantonese cuisines although we rarely eat them here, "dimsum" as well. Obviously I'm biased but from my experience in my lifetime, traveling around China, traveling around the world, Cantonese food is still my hands down winner, nothing comes close.

Sorry for my poor English and hope you can understanding lol. Due to my limited English, I can explain the essence of Cantonese cuisine properly so it's better click on this Wikipedia link to have a better understanding of it, obviously only if you're interested in ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese_cuisine

By the way, if you are a gastronome, HongKong will be an heaven.

Poor English? Your English is better than mine and I'm English :lol:

Poor English? Your English is better than mine and I'm English :lol:

I'm flattered but it is indeed poor, at least not great especially vocabulary wise, I can only manage to use those simple words and sometimes it's very hard to express what's in my mind most adequately. And Sir you have no idea that I squeezed every inch of me to come up with a post like the one above lol.

*"Understand" instead of "understanding", sorry typo ;)

I'm flattered but it is indeed poor, at least not great especially vocabulary wise, I can only manage to use those simple words and sometimes it's very hard to express what's in my mind most adequately. And Sir you have no idea that I squeezed every inch of me to come up with a post like the one above lol.

*"Understand" instead of "understanding", sorry typo ;)

You used 'gastronome'. I think its fair to say your vocab isn't that small...

I am constantly amazed by the more obscure words non-english speakers use sometimes. Would definitely have some people I know grabbing a dictionary...

Oh and italian food is the best. Hands down.

You used 'gastronome'. I think its fair to say your vocab isn't that small...

I am constantly amazed by the more obscure words non-english speakers use sometimes. Would definitely have some people I know grabbing a dictionary...

Oh and italian food is the best. Hands down.

Vocabulary is one thing, tricky grammars, appropriate metaphors, humorous expression, slang and so on are the essence of a language imo.

"would definitely have some people I know grabbing a dictionary" you wrote is something I can't come up with yet it's very simple to understand. Every time I saw this type of sentence I was like damn, why I can't write or speak in this way, why I can't think of this kind of expression at all. Instead, I would probably just write "some people I know definitely doesn't know these words". In my humble opinion this is the major difference between a native tongue and a foreigner.

P.s. Italian is good, I like Pizza Express, a lot!

I find turkish and greek food rather enjoyable. Chinese too ofc , but tbh you can list any of the usual countries food and its likely to be nice.

I guess you're right, as far as it's properly cooked. After all this is a very personal subject and each to their own preference, really, isn't it?

I by no means try to force anyone to like Chinese food, I just try my best to introduce it as comprehensive as possible to the people who is interested under a thread titled "Chinese food" lol. (This is not to you personally Lucio, just borrow your quote)

Vocabulary is one thing, tricky grammars, appropriate metaphors, humorous expression, slang and so on are the essence of a language imo.

"would definitely have some people I know grabbing a dictionary" you wrote is something I can't come up with yet it's very simple to understand. Every time I saw this type of sentence I was like damn, why I can't write or speak in this way, why I can't think of this kind of expression at all. Instead, I would probably just write "some people I know definitely doesn't know these words". In my humble opinion this is the major difference between a native tongue and a foreigner.

This is true, and why I'll always find language interesting.

I do think that people who speak english as a second (or more) language are quite harsh on themselves though. My greek friend always gets so embarrassed and hard on himself when he makes a mistake and me and my friends laugh. I've tried to explain that we only laugh because he is so good at english now that it is a surprise when he makes a mistake and that is why it is funny.