Loïc Rémy

SeB

They do indeed weaken your argument, but certainly do not negate it.

I've watched Remy play many times, so I tend to go with "I know what he can do already." He's no youngster, but yes, it's a new challenge for him and there is a possibility of small improvement still. I do have hope he raises to the challenge, but realistically I find that unlikely due to his age and price tag – considering the hundreds of scouts and professionals involved.

I completely agree that Costa is worth more than 32m, but reckon we could’ve done better than Remy as a second striker. Especially considering how utterly useless Drogba is at 35 – I mean he was dreadful for Galatassaray last season and bad for Ivory Coast in the WC.

I wouldn’t mind having Remy along a more powerful player like benteke for example. Or optionally, we could’ve gone up a notch by, say, spending 20m for a second striker, who would be more likely to provide proper cover for a top striker like Costa.

BTW, we are far more fluid in attack this season than last regardless of striker. On the other hand, the defense looks more vulnerable too, which may become a problem later on this season and especially in the CL single-elimination stage.

As with Costa, Remy's fee was fixed into his contract; without a release clause he'd have cost considerably more than 10m. He may not improve beyond his current level now (he could quite easily, however, with better coaching and teammates) but his current level makes him a serviceable deputy.

Whether or not we could have picked up a better #2 wasn't the point I disagreed with - and besides who was available that could 1) be bought at a reasonable fee 2) content to play second fiddle to Costa and 3) better than Remy? Benteke is/was nursing a serious injury so wasn't an option. Who else fits that description?

They do indeed weaken your argument, but certainly do not negate it.

I've watched Remy play many times, so I tend to go with "I know what he can do already." He's no youngster, but yes, it's a new challenge for him and there is a possibility of small improvement still. I do have hope he raises to the challenge, but realistically I find that unlikely due to his age and price tag – considering the hundreds of scouts and professionals involved.

I completely agree that Costa is worth more than 32m, but reckon we could’ve done better than Remy as a second striker. Especially considering how utterly useless Drogba is at 35 – I mean he was dreadful for Galatassaray last season and bad for Ivory Coast in the WC.

I wouldn’t mind having Remy along a more powerful player like benteke for example. Or optionally, we could’ve gone up a notch by, say, spending 20m for a second striker, who would be more likely to provide proper cover for a top striker like Costa.

BTW, we are far more fluid in attack this season than last regardless of striker. On the other hand, the defense looks more vulnerable too, which may become a problem later on this season and especially in the CL single-elimination stage.

Lots of stuff crammed into a relatively short, but enjoyable, post. Thank you.

I also have doubts about Remy but was hugely encouraged by his performance at Selhurst Park. I thought he displayed good control, linked well and demonstrated a useful amount of power. Not to mention that he forced some important fouls. If he replicates that level of output each time he's called on I'll be absolutely delighted. I do agree with you however that he is what he is now. His form may rise and fall but his basic level isn't going to shift up at this stage.

On the point about us being able to do better in the second striker market, I wonder if there was any player who would:

• Match Remy's output.
  • Accept the backup role.
  • Be available at a backup striker price and preferably for around the £10m that Remy cost.
  • Sign for a similar wage packet. (Not that I have any idea how much Remy actually earns.)

I've a feeling there might be some players who would pass all of those tests but they'd have to be unknowns I think. No 'name' striker is likely to have fitted all of those criteria.

On The Drog, I'd add that he was already below the desired standard when he left, which was why he left of course. I think we'd all agree that he must be here because he offers something which Jose felt was important; something that does not depend only on Didier being in the XI.

The situation with the defence is really interesting. As ever it's a battle of the competing priorities. Given that more possession and more fluidity naturally draws players forward the back four is automatically going to be more exposed. Jose's comments in his presser today suggest that he's happy about the balance at the moment but I suspect he'll still feel compelled to employ the 'low block' against the major sides.

People claim that using the low block will be Jose reverting to type but I don't buy it. He'll press and attempt to dominate possession if he feels he can win that way but the supreme, lovable pragmatist that he is will always do what it takes to win. It's just that we're not yet good enough to go toe-to-toe with the very best and expect to prevail often enough.

Lots of stuff crammed into a relatively short, but enjoyable, post. Thank you.

I also have doubts about Remy but was hugely encouraged by his performance at Selhurst Park. I thought he displayed good control, linked well and demonstrated an amount of power, not to mention that he forced some important fouls. If he replicates that level of output each time he's called on I'll be absolutely delighted. I do agree with you however that he is what he is now. His form may rise and fall but his basic level isn't going to shift up at this stage.

On the point of us being able to do better in the second striker market, I wonder if there was any player who would:

• Match Remy's output.
  • Accept the backup role.
  • Be available at a backup striker price and preferably for around the £10m that Remy cost.
  • Sign for a similar wage packet. (Not that I have any idea how much Remy actually earns.)
I've a feeling there might be some players who would pass all of those tests but they'd have to be unknowns I think. No 'name' striker is likely to have fitted all of those criteria.

On The Drog, I'd add that he was already below the desired standard when he left, which was why he left of course. I think we'd all agree that he must be here because he offers something which Jose felt was important; something that does not depend only on Didier being in the XI.

The situation with the defence is really interesting. As ever it's a battle of the competing priorities. Given that more possession and more fluidity naturally draws players forward the back four is automatically going to be more exposed. Jose's comments in his presser today suggest that he's happy about the balance at the moment but I suspect he'll still feel compelled to employ the 'low block' against the major sides.

People claim that using the low block will be Jose reverting to type but I don't buy it. He'll press and attempt to dominate possession if he feels he can win that way but the supreme pragmatist that he is will always do what it takes to win. It's just that we're not yet good enough to go toe-to-toe with the very best and expect to prevail often enough.

Exactly that, people should be happy we have such a tactically astute manager who does what he needs to do, instead of moaning about the lack of stopovers in some games.

When I see managers like Wenger, Rodgers fail to adress problem areas and even think back to how frustrating Carlo was in his second season it makes me even more grateful we have Mou.

Seemed even better today in those short 13 minutes. He was rusty Saturday and much more lively today. Such a shame he's probably out of Sunday's match. Playing a big team in their turf, allows us to give Remy exactly the kind of matches he likes to play, running with the ball. Heartbroken for him.

Knew he was going to put that away when he got a yard from the defender. Absolutely brilliant finish! Like others have said, his quality, even in his limited appearances, is undeniable compared to last season. Get well soon, Loic, I see more goals in your future when you get the nod. :clap:

Premier League: Chelsea's Loic Remy confident of being fit to face Manchester United

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/9528752/marco-materazzi-chelsea-boss-jose-mourinho-one-of-the-greats

You say Remy is confident he will be fit then post an unrelated article? You got me...

Remy said: "It was a bit stiff, and I didn't feel very comfortable. That's why I prefer to come off, if I'm not feeling very good it's better to leave for another player who is 100 per cent.

"We will see with the scan. I really hope it is not too bad. Fortunately I stopped playing because I felt something. I don't think it is too bad but I felt something. My groin.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/9528868/premier-league-chelseas-loic-remy-confident-of-being-fit-to-face-manchester-united