Loïc Rémy

SeB

Don't see why we shouldn't press ahead with this deal if he is less than 12 million euros. Ok hes not Falcao, hes not Messi, hes not anything great in particular I even said I don't think hes great a few pages back but for a back up and as SeB posted up his strike rate despite not playing centrally is similar to Sturridge's from last season so why not? Point is if we get an injury to Torres and Sturridge plays utter bollocks we are fucked (yes we are fucked without Torres somehow :Goober:), nobody has seen Sturridge play as a CF in this current Chelsea side he could play there and be utter bullshit as well for all we know. Lemy has a bit of experience compared to Sturridge, which isn't vitally important but it could be. Lemy has led the line plenty of times before in big games where as Sturridge hasn't. Sturridge's attributes suit a winger more imo right now but he won't get picked there because we effectively have a wingless formation. Its not just about getting 3 world class strikers in the whole time to rotate them, maybe we need a okish player who is willing to sit on the bench for a while and do a job when called upon, who remembers Salomon Kalou with his important last minute goals? Point is if he's available on a cheapish price we should take a gamble. I'm not necessarily saying quantity over quality I'm just saying that there were rumblings about big clubs watching Remy a few years back, what's so different now hes a few years older? Surely he'd only be better?

1) His price is 15 million pounds

2) He is not more experienced than Sturridge, people here have said he is playing in a similar position as Sturridge/Moses a wide forward position cutting in from the wing and sometimes spearheading the attack. Sturridge has played as a forward in the EPL, something which obviously French League players struggle to do when arriving in England - tell me the last successful French League striker in the EPL - or should I jog your memory it was Drogba but Drogba proved his worth by helping Marseille to a Europa/Uefa Triumph before being signed by us. Sturridge was scoring at a good rate at Bolton against the same defenders we face on a weekly basis - it's management's problem that they do not want to give him a shot. Sturridge scored 11 League Goals last season while Remy's highest total in the French League is 15 and I doubt anyone would contest that EPL is tougher league than League One.

3) Big clubs watched Remy and decided against purchasing him, he was signed my Marseille for a reported 15 million euro and if they are willing to sell him for less it would mean they don't see him improving much at a new club.

4) Difference between Kalou and Remy is age, at Kalou's age he could still improve at Remy's age there is little room for improvement - especially for a player who's main assets are speed and heading ability.

Don't get me wrong if Remy is available for under 10 million pounds we should go for it, but paying more than 10 million for a squad player is just a bad decision.

2) He is not more experienced than Sturridge, people here have said he is playing in a similar position as Sturridge/Moses a wide forward position cutting in from the wing and sometimes spearheading the attack. Sturridge has played as a forward in the EPL, something which obviously French League players struggle to do when arriving in England - tell me the last successful French League striker in the EPL - or should I jog your memory it was Drogba but Drogba proved his worth by helping Marseille to a Europa/Uefa Triumph before being signed by us. Sturridge was scoring at a good rate at Bolton against the same defenders we face on a weekly basis - it's management's problem that they do not want to give him a shot. Sturridge scored 11 League Goals last season while Remy's highest total in the French League is 15 and I doubt anyone would contest that EPL is tougher league than League One.

So, just because there aren't too many strikers that came from Ligue 1 and had success in the Premier League in recent times, you're just gonna assume anyone who come from there is gonna ultimately fail too? Good generalization there.

And Drogba helped Marseille to a UEFA Cup/Europa League triumph? :doh: The only European trophy Marseille have won in recent years is the Intertoto Cup and that was in 2005 after he had already joined us!

3) Big clubs watched Remy and decided against purchasing him, he was signed my Marseille for a reported 15 million euro and if they are willing to sell him for less it would mean they don't see him improving much at a new club.

Ever thought maybe the supposed low price for Remy is because of the contract length he has left with Marseille?

4) Difference between Kalou and Remy is age, at Kalou's age he could still improve at Remy's age there is little room for improvement - especially for a player who's main assets are speed and heading ability.

:doh: Kalou is already 27 and Remy is only 25.

So, just because there aren't too many strikers that came from Ligue 1 and had success in the Premier League in recent times, you're just gonna assume anyone who come from there is gonna ultimately fail too? Good generalization there.

Until a striker that has done well in the French League actually does well here I'm going to assume that either French League is worse defensivly or League One strikers have a hard time adapting. I'm not opposed to signing a League One striker provided he is young enough and talented enough to improve here rather than sign as a squad player who is in no way shape or form better than Lukaku and Sturridge.

And Drogba helped Marseille to a UEFA Cup/Europa League triumph? :doh: The only European trophy Marseille have won in recent years is the Intertoto Cup and that was in 2005 after he had already joined us!

My bad, they lost the final to Valencia - still made it far further into the European Cups than OM has done since than and Drogba had 11 goals in 16 appearance in Europe that season, showing far more to a wider audience than Remy.

Ever thought maybe the supposed low price for Remy is because of the contract length he has left with Marseille?

His contract expires in the summer of 2015

Which basically means if OM is looking to sell him for a lower price than what they paid - they don't think he is ever going to develop into a good enough player.

:doh: Kalou is already 27 and Remy is only 25.

You are unable to read I said

"4) Difference between Kalou and Remy is age, at Kalou's age he could still improve at Remy's age there is little room for improvement - especially for a player who's main assets are speed and heading ability."

When we signed Kalou he was 21 year old - if we sign Remy he will be 26 year old ? At 21 Kalou could have become a good player for us, for 9 million pound it wasn't much of a risk - he turned out decent but never lived up to his potential - Remy at 25 could not possibly improve substantially considering his main assets are speed and aerial ability.

Sturridge played behind Davies most of the time, enjoying his lay backs. Not taking anything away from his achievements but that's something to keep in mind.

Stop with the management thing about Sturridge, he wouldn't have scored 8 goals in 12 games for Chelsea after January 2011 ; he needed a proper context and a mentor to help him to canalize his energy. We can't extrapolate everything for the sake of it, having loaned him isn't an evidence Chelsea fucked up with him but rather the kickstart of his Chelsea career

Sturridge was top of the attack at Bolton, he benefited from Davies play but not directly - he didn't get a single assist from a Davies lay back!

Go watch his goals instead of coming up with reasons that don't actually have any factual basis - watch his positioning and the fact that he was played ahead of Davies who would usually come in further back to battle for the ball. Do you think Kevin Davis is better laying off balls than Drogba?

Sturridge didn't play a single game in the EPL as a Starter during that year in Chelsea - when he was given a start against MSK Zilina; Newcastle and Ipswich he had 4 goals in 4 matches. We would never know whether Sturridge would have scored the same amount of goals had he been given a chance after new year - my opinion is that he would have outscored anyone of our strikers with ease if he was given the same kind of backing that Anelka; Torres and Drogba received that season. Had we played Sturridge and actually had a forward that could put the ball in the back of the net it's entirely feasible that Carlo would not have been sacked either.

Chelsea didn't give him a "kickstart" all we have done here is stall his development - he was signed years ago and has played maybe 5 games in his preferred position with the rest of our reserves in meaningless fixtures. Compare the "kickstart" we have given Sturridge to the "kickstart" SAF had given to Welbeck or Hernandez in front of Berbatov. Compare the amount of games Mario Balotelli has played for Man City leading the line despite the numerous forwards they have there. Compare the amount of time our rivals this season have played their second/third/forth choice forwards to what we have given Sturridge(10 minutes up top against QPR - while he was on the bench for our first 7 fixtures).

We will never really know how good or bad Sturridge is up top until he is given a fair chance - something that has not been given to him. Even after he scored 8 goals in 12 games playing against the same defenders which our front line of Drogba/Anelka/Torres were unable to outscore combined during the same period. Next season Sturridge was back at Chelsea playing on a new position as a right winger who doesn't have a good enough right foot or training to actually make use of this position he was asked to play - he ended up cutting in moving into positions which our strikers should have been and outscoring them yet again. AVB gets sacked - Sturridge's form and time on the field go into the gutter and he is back at square one with our new manager. Now it's yet another season where he is the only alternative to our first choice forward who he had outscored 2 seasons in a row barely getting 10 minutes on the field.

You call that" kickstart" I call that a kick in the balls.

He's not quick and stupid like mediocre players such as Maazou, Gakpe etc... L1 is full of that headless players.

Great... we have came to the conclusion that Remy is not stupid yet nowhere did I mention such a thing - I mention that his best assets are concerning his physical capability and that won't translate too well as he ages. If he was so great OM would want more money for him instead of actually selling him at loss.

Remy is athletic, rather quick but the most important thing are his movements and runs. When we're speaking about heading play, that's not Kalou's 10 y.o one, that's really one of the 10 or 15 best heading abilities in Europe.

How many times do we have to go over the fact that with Hazard; Oscar and Mata the crosses pumped into the box are going to be few and far between. It's like signing Caroll for godsake - sure might be a great player for side that plays a certain way but for a top club that doesn't rely on crosses he is the odd man out.

Drogba started to improve his finishing basically when Shevchenko came at Chelsea, when he was 27... Not just to prove that your argument is incoherent, most strikers improve their finishing with age. That's precisely something Remy could improve even more considering he's already good and not eager to shoot as hard as he can at the 1st post when he's alone against the goalkeeper.

Remy "could" improve, Drogba was still miles ahead of Remy at that age so he would have to improve with leaps and bounds.

Also you should mention to Torres that his finishing should improve with age, maybe he forgot and that's why he is missing sitters :D

Until a striker that has done well in the French League actually does well here I'm going to assume that either French League is worse defensivly or League One strikers have a hard time adapting. I'm not opposed to signing a League One striker provided he is young enough and talented enough to improve here rather than sign as a squad player who is in no way shape or form better than Lukaku and Sturridge.

So, you're basically just saying all of this based on assumptions. Nice.

His contract expires in the summer of 2015

Which basically means if OM is looking to sell him for a lower price than what they paid - they don't think he is ever going to develop into a good enough player.

:doh: Again, silly assumptions. Just because Marseille is selling him for a lower price than they bought him doesn't mean they think he's ever going to develop into a good enough player! The number of years left in a player's contract will mostly play a part in determining how much they will be sold.

AND actually Marseille bought Remy for £12.4m from Lens. So, if they are gonna sell him for the reported price of £15m, they will be selling for a higher price than they paid for him!

When we signed Kalou he was 21 year old - if we sign Remy he will be 26 year old ? At 21 Kalou could have become a good player for us, for 9 million pound it wasn't much of a risk - he turned out decent but never lived up to his potential - Remy at 25 could not possibly improve substantially considering his main assets are speed and aerial ability.

I seem to remember that Drogba joined us at 24, only 1 year younger than Remy now and it took him like 2-3 years to really flourish in England. Ever heard of the term, 'Late Bloomer'?

So, you're basically just saying all of this based on assumptions. Nice.

Yes, my assumption is that signing a non prolific striker for 15 million pounds to act as a back up to Torres when we have better ones available is ludicrous - especially one whose main assets aren't things we are going to utilize.

:doh: Again, silly assumptions. Just because Marseille is selling him for a lower price than they bought him doesn't mean they think he's ever going to develop into a good enough player! The number of years left in a player's contract will mostly play a part in determining how much they will be sold.

AND actually Marseille bought Remy for £12.4m from Lens. So, if they are gonna sell him for the reported price of £15m, they will be selling for a higher price than they paid for him!

Ah yes a spanking 2.6 million profit which would be eaten by the inflation of the euro since they signed him.

I seem to remember that Drogba joined us at 24, only 1 year younger than Remy now and it took him like 2-3 years to really flourish in England. Ever heard of the term, 'Late Bloomer'?

Drogba joined us and had to contend with Crespo for the striking position, but he provided a lot during his first two seasons in fact Drogba was one of the main reasons Lampard started scoring over 20 goals per season, because of his work with laying balls into the path of Lams; Robben and Duff. When people say Drogba took 2 years to flourish its very misleading because I'd say he became key to the way we play in right from the get go and that's the main reason he in the end won the duel with Crespo for top dog leading our attack. Drogba had shown at OM that he is up to the task and had scored over 30 goals in the campaign prior to joining us Remy's totals in comparison are no where near that.

I'd say comparing the two is insulting to Drogba

Drogba is just not a "late bloomer" example, he didn't play consistent football until much letter in his life compared to others.

So why is Remy or Falcao(in another thread) compared to Drogba is beyond me.

Haven't seen much of Remy tbh so i won't comment on his quality, but i would love to see us pick up one of Llorente or Huntelaar. Both on expiring contract.

Would appear the evening standard is reporting that Danny is off and Remy is going to be his replacement come Janurary.

Be sad to see Sturridge leave (if true), always good to see English players in our starting eleven.

Why don't we give Sturridge a chance at CF, like a short run of consistent games?

People say Sturridge is selfish, he doesn't look up often enough, so what, he's still a talented striker who knows how to score.

If Sturridge simply sucks at CF, then let him go and bring in a new striker like Remy or whoever else is available for around 15 million..

Why don't we give Sturridge a chance at CF, like a short run of consistent games?

People say Sturridge is selfish, he doesn't look up often enough, so what, he's still a talented striker who knows how to score.

If Sturridge simply sucks at CF, then let him go and bring in a new striker like Remy or whoever else is available for around 15 million..

Exactly why sign someone older and worse than Sturridge to replace him for 15 million pounds