Diego Costa

Spike

Neither Villa nor Eto'o had a season as good as Drogba in 09/10 when he finally played under a proper attack minded manager. Drogba's the best big game player of his generation, show some respect.

Drogba had technical ability & intelligence in abundance which is why he regularly topped the assist charts during his spell here.

The bottomline is they were more consistent and more prolific than Drogba, the rest is just excuses. ifs and buts.

If your definition of big game is only limited to cup finals then yes he's the best big game player indeed although eto'o has scored in every champions league final he's ever played in and rose to the challenge more often than not whenever the occasion called for it in his prime, same with Villa.

No one has disputed drogba's technical ability but in comparison to those two striker, he was a level below in that regard. Didier's game was based on power and strength while Eto'o and Villa were the epitome of finesse and technique.

False, Eto'o had better seasons in 05/06, 08/09 and 10/11.

Drogba was a fantastic big game player but Eto'o was the same as well: only 4 players in modern Champions League have scored in two different finals, and they are Eto'o, Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and Raul.

Eto'o is the only player in history to have done two Trebles with different teams, and he trumps Drogba in overall goals, assists, club trophies, national trophies (2 African Cups, whose is all time top scorer, vs Drogba's zero) and personal achievements.

Didier obviosuly is THE Chelsea Legend, one of the best african players ever and one of the best strikers of the past 15/20 years, yet you can't just ignore facts as Eto'o stands above him in pretty much every football-related category.

As for the thread, irrespective of the achievements Costa will reach, it's obvious that Didier was the utterly superior player, he was not even comparable and on a total different level.

Perfectly said.

I love Didier, and he is my favorite striker, but Eto'o was a level above him.

Would have been amazing if we had both at the same time as was hinted on here when we got an Old Eto'o(Who was still our best striker at that time).

Let's not rewrite history here, there was many times Drogba was almost invisible in a game, especially in the last two seasons where he almost couldn't be bothered if it was any opponent below Spurs, Everton standard, Costa may have his faults but I don't think he will ever see any opponent as beneath him trying his hardest, something Didier did on a few occasions.

The point being however is back in 2008-2009 period similar chat was being made for Drogba than what's happening with Costa now, "he will never be on the same level as Villa or Eto'o" the same way people say it now about Costa regarding Aguero, Benzema etc etc

no player in the history of football can be present and give his best in all games.

DD was 33/34 when he left the first time and yes, with age, complacency creeps him. i admit it. but his class was ever present as can be seen against barca. tell me costa the 26/27 year old can hold the ball as well as DD did. or even shield the ball. for a "big striker", costa's strength on the ball is so poor. aerially, he is almost as good as hazard is.

my point simply was that even when not getting on the score sheet, DD made an impact. be it with his time wasting skills, his physicality or strength or simply by his aura. his hold up play was IMMENSE and second to no one in the world and his link up play was pretty good (yes, not on etoo/villa level but very good). and when comparing with etoo/villa, his other attributes made up for his lackings.

costa is levels below aguero/benzema. way below them in terms of link up play. forget about scoring from his head, i cant remember the last time he won a header. or held the ball well. costa has 0 effect on us with his game when he is not on score sheet. and i am being generous here cos the amount of times he loses the ball in good situations as well as the number of useless fouls pegs us back.

Drogba failed Ivory Cost every single time.....

Eto quit on Cameroon later on, but he still won Afcon twice and the olympics with them...

Even when Eto was here or Everton, he really played well and imo was the best striker on both teams at the time still.

Drogba failed Ivory Cost every single time.....

Eto quit on Cameroon later on, but he still won Afcon twice and the olympics with them...

Even when Eto was here or Everton, he really played well and imo was the best striker on both teams at the time still.

To be fair Drogba got them to the world cup....3 times. Even with foreign superstars they were never really a team.

Cameroon, with its history, was much better than the ivory coast with the teams they had.

Mind you, that rumour was reported by that cunt Stan Collymore.

Yesterday @talkSPORT LIVE i made the suggestion that Diego Costa and John Terry had a contretemps (handbags, ruck, scuffle, call it what you will) recently in training.

Steve Atkins, Chelsea Press Officer contacted me this evening and after consulting the players, coaching staff and manager, he stated that at no time did John Terry or Diego Costa have a "bust up".

I take great care and pride in making sure any suggestions, stories or rumour that i suggest on air or in print are verified by not one but sometimes more than two separate sources.

This was the case on this occasion, and i stated this to Steve Atkins.

However, i'm not beyond getting things wrong, am happy to hold my hand up and say i was on this occasion, so therefore it is right and proper to apologise unreservedly to Diego Costa, John Terry and Chelsea Football Club for any inconvenience caused.

Stan Collymore

There is some rumors that Costa and Terry were involved in an angry training ground bust-up .

Even if they supposedly got into a bust-up, I find it amusing to think about what they would actually say to each other. Would either understand what the other was saying? lol.

He showed his awful technique again, on his goal tonight? :clown:

It was a good goal but element of luck as well, hit the bar and he wasn't even properly looking at it. When RVP scores a goal like that you know he means it, Costa rarely does so let's see. Good for his confidence though, hope he scores against Arsenal this weekend.