Diego Costa

Spike

I don't mind my no.1 striker playing 25-30 PL matches in a season. It definitely does not make him injury prone. Infact no more than a striker we were officially looking for ROONEY.

Mandzukic has scored 20 or more goals in season 5 times in his career (thrice with zagreb and twice with bayern). He is strong in the air, physical, has a brilliant link up play, and is clinical. Moreover he has done that playing for the best team in the world (currwntly) and at the highest level. Infact in which part in costa better than Mario. I dint say bayern will sell him cheap but just that he will be cheaper than costa. Also just this year bayern sold mario gomez for 15-20mil . 20mil £ would be a great move in my opinion.

If jose comes out and says, costa is our guy and he will be our no.1 striker, then I won't compain once. But so far, there is nothin to suggest we want him except for gwneral media bullshit.

Anyways, majority of the people here seem set on costa. Most without giving a fair thought for other viable options (if not better). I have watched ATM regularly this year (which has actually co-incided with a dip in form for both costa and ATM), and just don't get the mega-hype surrounding this guy.

Mandzukic is the one that you're overhyping he is nowhere as good as you think he is. Plus he is a bigger douche than Costa.

I see people digging up all possibilities here, even RVP( WTF, dude?) and can't seem to understand why Martinez isn't mentioned?

what is so WTF in RVp??? And martinez for 40mil. Seriously,?? Don't see porto selling him for anyless.

what is so WTF in RVp??? And martinez for 40mil. Seriously,?? Don't see porto selling him for anyless.

As much I don't want to see RvP here, I really don't want to see Martinez here as well. We can't build a team for the future with a 31 year old, injury prone pussy as our attacking spearhead. Don't think so.

As much I don't want to see RvP here, I really don't want to see Martinez here as well. We can't build a team for the future with a 31 year old, injury prone pussy as our attacking spearhead. Don't think so.

Etoo is officially 33, according to jose he is 35 and 39 accorsing to his ex. He probably has been our no.1 striker this season deapite being on vacation in russia for 2 years.

Next year we won't be "building" a team for future but actually going all out for titles. Rvp despite him being a cunt (like costa isnot), is a phenomenol striker. He is no more injury prone than rooney who we were officially targetting. So don't see why its not an option.

Etoo is officially 33, according to jose he is 35 and 39 accorsing to his ex. He probably has been our no.1 striker this season deapite being on vacation in russia for 2 years.

Next year we won't be "building" a team for future but actually going all out for titles. Rvp despite him being a cunt (like costa isnot), is a phenomenol striker. He is no more injury prone than rooney who we were officially targetting. So don't see why its not an option.

When we can do both by buying Cavani or Costa or Mandzukic?

When people say "I doubt costa. He dives around. Morwover he has had only one good season as a striker that too in a league where even SOLDADO (of all people) scored 30 goals last season. So I don't think he is worth 32mil

Well well dont throw all apples in one basket. Negredo was also one of top strikers and did very well in City so far didnt he? Besides Soldado had 24 goals, not 30.

And Costa did quite well in CL, he scored 5 goals despite playing there for first time. He scored many game winning goals like the one vs Milan recently or Real few months ago. He is also different type than Soldado, Soldado is not that strong while Costa is much stronger, just like Negredo.

And if Costa is such average striker why did both Spain and Brazil fight for him?

When we can do both by buying Cavani or Costa or Mandzukic?

that is true. But next year our primary objective will be to win titles. If we have to sacrifice "building for the future" in one area while having lukaku as a back up striker, I don't think that's the worst possible thing.

Like I said before to TOPTB, these are all viable options.

Well well dont throw all apples in one basket. Negredo was also one of top strikers and did very well in City so far didnt he? Besides Soldado had 24 goals, not 30.

And Costa did quite well in CL, he scored 5 goals despite playing there for first time. He scored many game winning goals like the one vs Milan recently or Real few months ago. He is also different type than Soldado, Soldado is not that strong while Costa is much stronger, just like Negredo.

And if Costa is such average striker why did both Spain and Brazil fight for him?

Now that is a very good and sensible reply to the doubts rather than just bringing DD in the equation.

As for spain and brazil, both have brilliant mid and defence but simply don't have a good striker. So simply makes sense for them to fight for a striker having a great season in the world cup season.

Said it a while ago and I'll say it again, he would be great for us. Ignore the fact he is a twat. I bet if he wasn't there wouldn't be half the debate there is now. I haven't seen stories about racism/biting opponents (maybe he has done this but I haven't noticed...) so he is nothing we cannot tolerate as fans, especially if he brings goals/victories. As - I think it was - ProudLyon said in a very good post, we don't need a 30+ goal a season striker. We need a guy that can be an 'all round' CF, finish the chances that we do create and bully/harass defenders. Now, from watching the Madrid derby, where he wasn't at his best this season (but still should have had a peno or two), one can quite easily tell what a royal pain in the arse he will be for defences. This is just what we need, with more dangerous players upfront the defending team's defenders are focused on more people, creating more space for the likes of Hazard to work their magic.

And then the question is, if not Costa, who? Falcao is older, injured, owned by cash rich Monaco and has only recently moved. Cavani is the same minus the injury and age. Lewandowski has gone to Bayern. Rooney is staying at United. Do we trust Lukaku to lead the line?

I'm sure the club will explore all possible avenues before signing Costa, but it strikes me that he is the best we can get and would be bloody good for us.

All this talk of top draw strikers makes me think cos of the amount of chances we have the potential to create in a game we don't necessarily need cavani, RVP etc... A fox in the box is what is needed IMO preferably very strong in the air... Sounds a bit like Alan Shearer.

Just because you're signing and playing an older player doesn't mean you've given up on building for the future. You can't accept really young players at every position, its nice and you're happy with it when they are extraordinary but it will be a joke. You could field a team of 20-23 year olds in the prem but it would be nothing more than funny... You needs a nice mix with a strategy for moving players for the through the years. Personally in the BPL I can't stand young players in the pivot, hence why we have Matic now and not before. Certain roles and positions are not played well by young players, striker is another one of those positions.

Scolari was stalling so Del Bosque jumped in to make things complicated, legit soap opera shit going on. He wouldn't play for either team if it wasn't strategic to stop the other team, where was he during qualification? Scolari doesn't want him but he doesn't want anyone else to have him.

Personally I don't like his dribbling, its very un-Brazilian and , he'll just end up trying to arm and muscle around people and getting a lot of fouls called against us. I want the kind of guy that draws fouls because he is quick with his feet. If someone pushes Costa down it's probably because Costa was just trying to push him down.

Just to remind everyone who seems to have forgotten some key facts.

Diego Costa has 41 goals & 14 assists in his last three seasons in La Liga, and for one of those he was not even playing as a striker. For another, he was playing in Rayo which is not exactly a top team. He has also scored and provided assists (and had some of his better games) against teams likes Real, Barcelona or Sociedad in the league. In CL he has scored against Porto and Milan (and others), teams that might not be the absolute elite but that are still worth mentioning.
Many of those goals have come from sheer will as much as anything else.

He has brute strength, he can finish, he can pass, he has an amazing work rate, is a team player, can head the ball well and is great off the ball.
Why exactly would he be a bad purchase? There is a difference between there being better strikers in the world, and there being better strikers available for a reasonable price.

He does not have a serious injury that could threaten his impact in the league, he still has his best years ahead of him, he is versatile in terms of positioning and would cost £32m which is very reasonable.

Forget Mandzukic, Falcao or Cavani. This is the only striker that we need to buy. Costa and Lukaku would be an excellent set of strikers, the best one we have had for quite a long time. Add Shaw and Gundogan (if MVG does not recover) and there is no limit to what our very young squad can accomplish.

Just to remind everyone who seems to have forgotten some key facts.

Diego Costa has 41 goals & 14 assists in his last three seasons in La Liga, and for one of those he was not even playing as a striker. For another, he was playing in Rayo which is not exactly a top team. He has also scored and provided assists (and had some of his better games) against teams likes Real, Barcelona or Sociedad in the league. In CL he has scored against Porto and Milan (and others), teams that might not be the absolute elite but that are still worth mentioning.

Torres has scored 43 goals and given 23 assists in his last 3 season playing in a much more difficult league and against teams who normally tend to park the bus against us

I've been really watching him because I wasn't sure if he would fit our system, so I was keeping a close eye on him in Athletico games to see his movement and passing...etc and here is what I deduced after that tactical analysis:

What a cunt!

what I don't get is we all know he is a cunt but do u like the cunt deduce that

Torres has scored 43 goals and given 23 assists in his last 3 season playing in a much more difficult league and against teams who normally tend to park the bus against us

Did you actually bother reading what I wrote?

Torres had been through a major injury, had been a first choice striker for one of the best teams in the league, was older and also much more expensive. He also relied on completely different attributes than Costa.

I tried to angle my post in a way that would dissuade anyone from making comparisons to Torres but I guess there is always someone...

Did you actually bother reading what I wrote?

Torres had been through a major injury, had been a first choice striker for one of the best teams in the league, was older and also much more expensive. He also relied on completely different attributes than Costa.

I tried to angle my post in a way that would dissuade anyone from making comparisons to Torres but I guess there is always someone...

Yes, I did read your post where u start by reminding everyone about costa's wonderful stats. But the point is that stats can be heavily misleading. Stats can't account for the difference in league, difference in style of play and even difference in class and level. Even lukaku scored 17 goals for wba last season before being shipped out on loan to everton. That is how useless stats can be somwtimes. Also my "comparision" to torres was SOLELY on your stats point. Infact that was the only part of your post I even quoted. So probably u need to understand better what people are tending to say.

Going to other parts of your post. Costa has "brute strength" but I honestly have never seen him use it. If anythin, he goes down far far far too easily under any contact. So how can his "physicality" even be a good point in his argumwnt as a chelsea striker is beyond me. His heading, workrate and definitely link up play simply is not as good as mandzukic while his finishing might be equal. So how is he better than mandzukic.

As for his comparison with cavani, please don't even go there. Not even close.