Diego Costa

Spike

Disappointed he scored eventually. A couple more games without scoring and he could have been dropped for Spain and rested for Chelsea :(

it wouldn't be this simple at all....

He wouldn't be dropped if he didn't score now, especially because after next month's international break we won't have another for months...

A goal against Luxemburg is hardly what will make or break his career at Spain. Or the matches next month...

it wouldn't be this simple at all....

He wouldn't be dropped if he didn't score now, especially because after next month's international break we won't have another for months...

A goal against Luxemburg is hardly what will make or break his career at Spain. Or the matches next month...

I know it would not end his international career, I was just hoping he would be dropped to the bench for next month's matches.

The more the Spanish media are convinced that he is not the man to lead their attack, the better for us...

I know it would end his international career, I was just hoping he would be dropped to the bench for next month's matches.

The more the Spanish media are convinced that he is not the man to lead their attack, the better for us...

Oh ffs, not again? I thought this was the last round of international matches for a while.

Oh and I saw his miss the other night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3LYmDd9Wqo

He isn't good at scoring on that kind of angle. He's already missed that kind of chance twice for Chelsea (against Everton and Sporting Lisbon). He doesn't seem to get his body shape right, well not enough to give him a proper angle to curl the ball into the far corner. Hopefuly he improves on that because with his ability to get in behind teams he will have plenty of chances like that.

I know it would not end his international career, I was just hoping he would be dropped to the bench for next month's matches.

The Spanish media doesn't decide anything though, otherwise del Bosque wouldn't be there anymore.

He was basically skinned alive by them during the WC as well as a few players...

Oh and I saw his miss the other night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3LYmDd9Wqo

He isn't good at scoring on that kind of angle. He's already missed that kind of chance twice for Chelsea (against Everton and Sporting Lisbon). He doesn't seem to get his body shape right, well not enough to give him a proper angle to curl the ball into the far corner. Hopefuly he improves on that because with his ability to get in behind teams he will have plenty of chances like that.

His goal against Arsenal is basically the same thing... I don't think he has a problem with the angle. His shots were saved then and this one was missed and he scored from the same position (sort of) against Arsenal.

That's not a problem at all. Just a bad choice at the moment or lack of luck (Howard's save was outstanding and I think Rui Patricio also did a good job although in that position the player just has to score)

The Spanish media doesn't decide anything though, otherwise del Bosque wouldn't be there anymore.

He was basically skinned alive by them during the WC as well as a few players...

His goal against Arsenal is basically the same thing... I don't think he has a problem with the angle. His shots were saved then and this one was missed and he scored from the same position (sort of) against Arsenal.

That's not a problem at all. Just a bad choice at the moment or lack of luck (Howard's save was outstanding and I think Rui Patricio also did a good job although in that position the player just has to score)

Against Arsenal, Costa was central to the goal; Szczesny had advanced, and with the ball on the bounce, that allowed Costa to simply lift the ball over the keeper.

tumblr_ncz8s08tvM1sscln5o1_250.gif

Brilliant goal but very different to the kind of situation/angle that I'm talking about.

Against Arsenal, Costa was central to the goal; Szczesny had advanced, and with the ball on the bounce, that allowed Costa to simply lift the ball over the keeper.

tumblr_ncz8s08tvM1sscln5o1_250.gif

Brilliant goal but very different to the kind of situation/angle that I'm talking about.

which angle you're talking about then? (so I can understand)

which angle you're talking about then? (so I can understand)

The chance at 3.50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbasB3Dz_-0

I wouldn't say that was a great save by Howard; it's more of a miss than it is a save in my opinion, if that makes sense?

If I recall correctly the Sporting Lisbon chance was quite similar.

The chance at 3.50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbasB3Dz_-0

I wouldn't say that was a great save by Howard; it's more of a miss than it is a save in my opinion, if that makes sense?

If I recall correctly the Sporting Lisbon chance was quite similar.

come on, that's a brilliant save... absolutely brilliant.

I still don't get it. You mean he isn't good in 1 vs 1 against goalies that go and close down his angle options? You talked about him having a problem with the angle, but each of those misses come from different angles. For Spain he's very centralized, although cutting inside a bit, in the Everton he's totally coming from the flank and as far as I remember against Sporting, it was a very centered attempt too. So which angle are you talking about?

Regardless of not understand what you're labeling as a problem, I'll give my two cents.

Costa isn't a technically gifted player. He's very smart and he has an incredible ability of making the most out of shots (his dribbling for that Willian goal two weeks ago isn't something I can see him pulling out successfully a lot).

So everything that requires a more refined touch or technique, I think he'll lack. But he doesn't need a refined or fancy touch to score those goals. He could just hit it hard, in a good angle.

In this last season's goals compilations he scored 1x1 with goalies coming out to get the ball and close down his angles in 10 occasions out of 36 goals scored (0:38; 0:58 - this one identical to Howard's save which just makes me believe further it was a great save, he really stretched out his already big leg; 1:12; 1:20, 1:36; 2:24; 2:42; 3:03; 3:24 - in this one instead of shooting, he chose to dribble the GK; 3:34). Notice that in some of these goals not only he had the goalie ahead of him, but also a defender. I don't think Diego has a problem with certain angles. He's predictable, every time he's cutting in and the goalie is closing him down as well as the angles, he's going for a wide shot. He also could have a larger repertoire, with curls, chips, high balls. But I don't think it's an angle problem.

Also I remember watching this very same video before he signed for us and I remember my thoughts exactly: 'that's not that impressive' because I was looking at those goals and thinking that they weren't that hard to score, a bunch of sitters, with a few good goals mixed. The thing with a good striker is that he doesn't make impressive things often, he just keeps scoring. That's the impressive part. And in that sense, Diego is more than impressive - and I once again admit I was completely wrong about him.