Diego Costa

Spike

I've been really watching him because I wasn't sure if he would fit our system, so I was keeping a close eye on him in Athletico games to see his movement and passing...etc and here is what I deduced after that tactical analysis:

What a cunt!

Yeah Costa is pretty much Drogba 2.0 without long shot ability.

He realy puts lot of effort in game, not just typical striker. And Im sure that everyone in spain dives more than he would in England. Its nature of the league.

DD getting compared to costa. Now that's a slap in the face of a legend.

Just cos DD dived doea not mean he and costa arw the same. Costa does not have half the physical preaence of DD. Costa does not have half the heading ability. And don't even get me started on the charm and peraonality of coata and DD. What is even more baffling is that this is a league where soldad, robert fucking soldado scored 30 goals last season. This cunt of a personality has one good season and he is DD. Atrocious. Absolutwly abysmal

Keep in mind we don't need a 30 goal a year striker, it would be nice but not necessary with the team we've already built.

Costa is a very good striker, not elite but just below that. I like the fact he is strong, quick and can score with either foot. Costa with Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle and Willian would give us a formidable attack. Of this is bearing in mind we're pretty good right now with Eto'o, Torres and Ba. If we can find a few more goals up top we'll be deadly!

I like a strike force of Lukaku, Costa and Torres.

Just cos DD dived doea not mean he and costa arw the same. Costa does not have half the physical preaence of DD. Costa does not have half the heading ability. And don't even get me started on the charm and peraonality of coata and DD. What is even more baffling is that this is a league where soldad, robert fucking soldado scored 30 goals last season. This cunt of a personality has one good season and he is DD. Atrocious. Absolutwly abysmal

mate, Diego Costa is 25 and compared to the 25-year-old Drogba I can say there aren't many differences between the two of them. At that time, Drogba was one of the best strikers in France, but not the best (remember Cisse, Frei, Pauleta, Shabani Nonda). Also he was a late bloomer, his pro career started a bit late and Drogba was Jose's gamble (Roman offered him Ronaldinho, but Jose refused him because he wanted Drogba). If you remember, we has far from impressive in his first two seasons here and he was also diving "like a cunt". People do change, you know and also Jose has the ability to change people so give Diego Costa a break - he is a proven goalscorer and stop comparing a 36-year-old Drogba to the actual Diego Costa. If you really want to compare this two, just wait for Diego Costa to play four of five seasons here and then you can have a go. Add to this the fact that every CF that left Atletico in the last 10-15 years turned into a world-class one and this comparison is useless.

You can write off Rooney, Cavani, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Falcao, Aguero, van Persie. Who else is there for you to sign? Suarez, Benzema, maybe Balotelli and Costa. At this moment, Diego Costa seems to be the right choice as he fits our system as a glove - he is a bull, he is harassing defences week-in, week-out, his work rate is phenomenal, he is quick enough, he's a proven goalscorer and he can also dribble (just like Suarez). Maybe his antics overshadow his potential, but I'm sure Jose will sort this out.

Amazing the stick he gets is the same stick Drogba got whilst he was playing for us when he was diving all over the place. Double standards much?

So Drogba spat and elbowed people in the face and kicked and punched defenders all game whilst he played for us???

How can you compare the two !?

Drogba was hardly a diver, like say an Ashley Young. He just went down easily, but there was almost always some contact. He never jumped in the air like a loon. Was Drogba ever more of a diver than say a Torres? No

And those of you bashing Costa, please don't be hypocritical. I'll bring him to the Bridge with my eyes closed. He's what this team has been screaming out for for 3 years.

huh? He's still young.

New striker + Lukaku + one of the 3 we have now.... Then we sell one of the 3 we have now and have the new stiker + lukaku + schurrle

He doesn't want to fight that is the problem though and it will be the same next season especially with Torres being unsellable too. Basically replaces Ba and Eto'o with Costa/Cavani or who ever expensive, surely there is no way for Lukaku to break through. Not to mention he isn't exactly doing well with Jose personally...he should have acted like Varane and prove his worth in training, waiting for his chance and take it when it arrives(which I am sure it would have at some point considering our terrible strike force)

Now he gone to Everton, having a good season(not great but good) yet he isn't exactly in Jose's favor. So even though he is young, I can see him doing a Kevin next summer. Maybe he will stay until Jan then Everton or whoever is in striking crisis and pays like 20m for him then he is gone from us for good.

So overall my point is it is not us who want to sell him, he will want to leave permanently(already hinted a few time this season)

Drogba was hardly a diver, like say an Ashley Young. He just went down easily, but there was almost always some contact. He never jumped in the air like a loon. Was Drogba ever more of a diver than say a Torres? No

And those of you bashing Costa, please don't be hypocritical. I'll bring him to the Bridge with my eyes closed. He's what this team has been screaming out for for 3 years.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL agreed with the rest about Costa though.

People are comparing similar styles, not quality of DD and Costa.

Some people here mention that he is massive cunt as description of Costa. Realy? Yes he is massive cunt, who dives, fights, provocates etc. But in the end of the game, he always shakes hands with Ramos or whoever he almost kills in the game. He is very temperament player and will literaly fight for every ball and help team as much as he can. Suarez is proper cunt, but everyone would take him in second. If Costa goes to Arsenal (lets just pretend) and he becomes star, forum would literally crying for not getting him for such low price in today market when everything that can kick the ball costs 50mio...This is risk, but reward could be massive.

The physical presence of Costa as our striker would fit in perfectly. He is kind of player that wont get bullied ever, he can ''protect'' other team mates and he can lead the attacking line. His all-round play is quite brilliant, he tracks back, puts lot of pressure on back 4 and creates space for others. However, his finishing (heading and long shots specifically) are just decent. His finishing in pen area is almost top, but he aint causing fear among defenses because of his deadly precision but more because of his strength. His off ball work is simply amazing for a striker, certainly cant complain about his defensive contribution. Most importantly, he would add leading figure in our attack that has been missing since Drogba. People were sceptic when Mou bought Drogba back then for big money, a striker who was not realy skillful, but we all know what happened...

What I find negative about him is his mental presence. I doubt he can learn tactical/strategic role in certain games. He relies on strength, not intelligence and that might be problem. His dribbling isnt world class ala Suarez, but still good enough to make the difference. Just look at Mandzukic who isnt tecnique marvel, yet he scores in almost every game. What could be worrying is his lack of potential improvement. Drogba for instance improved massively since age 26 when he was good in France, but in few years he become world class. Physical presence will always stay in Costa as well his fighting spirit, something that might fit well to PL. If certain striker relies on dribbling, that could get learned by opponent. But strength is strength. A proper tank ala Costa will have no trouble bombing through with his speed and strength. Still, I doubt his finishing will ever be on level of RVP, Falcao, Cavani,...

---

To conclude, we dont need striker who will score 30 goals per season, but someone who can link up well with team, plays as part of team and contributes more than just goals. Such striker will make Hazard even more dangerous and vice-versa. He aint perfect, Cavani would be absolutely best choice, but in no world we will pay 60/70mio (he wont go for less, thats for sure) on striker. First because of FFP and secondly because we need other areas to improve aswell. Costa on field with less diving and punching (something Mourinho can teach him) would be fine. He might not be perfect striker, but for 35mio and considering REALISTIC options, he looks like the best choice. Another reason that it could work is because Simeone is big ''fan'' of Mou. Atletico play counter football and with us getting proper LB and maybe even more creative CM, he would have plenty of support. Second reason is that Hazard will 99,9% be our main guy in next few seasons. We dont need another main star in striker, but more someone who can finish those chances inside pen area and still contribute a lot to the team.

If Mou decides this is the guy, I will welcome him with open hands. He could either flop or be what we realy missed all these years in striker department. But one thing is certain; Atletico produced some fine strikers ala Aguero or Torres (lpool) who got into PL very well. If the trend continues, we will have one beast of striker for peanuts (considering other top strikers cost 50mio+). I hope we dont get Falcao who is not our type, injury prone, old and ridiculously expensive. Id rather have Costa than Falcao.