Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

I'm inclined to think that both are not entirely correct. The list with higher figures has more stars of previous generation but got the amount of assists too inflated for everyone for some reason, while statbunker is missing some names and possibly some data from earlier years.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. Giggs definitely didn't have 284 assists( though he probably had more than 131; 150-160 seems more realistic). ESPN has data only after 2000, and according to them, in 2001-2014 Giggs made about 90 assists in 13 seasons. It's very unlikely that he made about 200 assists in 1992-2000.

Yeah, they've both got it wrong at some level but the real figures will be much closer to one of the two. Giggs definitely didn't get 200 assists between 1992-2000 but he didn't get just 40 either ... logically you'd think he'd average more than 6 a season at a club as free scoring and dominant as United. Statbunker seem to have some limited data, e.g check out the Italian league figures, they have Totti as having 45 assists in 21 years at Roma!

Yeah, they've both got it wrong at some level but the real figures will be much closer to one of the two. Giggs definitely didn't get 200 assists between 1992-2000 but he didn't get just 40 either ... logically you'd think he'd average more than 6 a season at a club as free scoring and dominant as United. Statbunker seem to have some limited data, e.g check out the Italian league figures, they have Totti as having 45 assists in 21 years at Roma!

Yeah, I think data on Italy is even more limited than on England. The premiersoccerstats gave Cesc about 1.65*the real number of his assists, so Giggs's real number of assists could be around 170 instead of 284, which sounds about right and is far more reasonable.

Well, the thing is there are some sites that count penalties won as assists, EA for example does, which is why in the Fantasy premier league he had 72 assists from 2006/07 on (they don't have prior to that), but in the Premier League website for the same period he had 59 (and none in previous seasons).

Then you check his wikipedia page which has stats based on ESPN according to the link (I checked and they match) and for the same period he has 68 (and 9 more from previous seasons, totaling 77). They probably don't count penalties but count some deflected chances or something. I'll go with ESPN, it's an average between EA and EPL and I don't like the idea of counting whoever wins a penalty as an assister. It makes no sense in my head.

Also ESPN compared to the Opta that Daniel just posted only differs by 2. So I'll go with ESPN indeed. In all comps - for ESPN - he has 98 assists which is why that link posted by any of you saying he has 119 makes no sense in my head.

Well, the thing is there are some sites that count penalties won as assists, EA for example does, which is why in the Fantasy premier league he had 72 assists from 2006/07 on (they don't have prior to that), but in the Premier League website for the same period he had 59 (and none in previous seasons).

Then you check his wikipedia page which has stats based on ESPN according to the link (I checked and they match) and for the same period he has 68 (and 9 more from previous seasons, totaling 77). They probably don't count penalties but count some deflected chances or something. I'll go with ESPN, it's an average between EA and EPL and I don't like the idea of counting whoever wins a penalty as an assister. It makes no sense in my head.

Also ESPN compared to the Opta that Daniel just posted only differs by 2. So I'll go with ESPN indeed. In all comps - for ESPN - he has 98 assists which is why that link posted by any of you saying he has 119 makes no sense in my head.

I think a won penalty should be an assist in some circumstances. If it's a tug on a shirt from a corner then absolutely not, but if a player has beaten his man and gets hacked down then I think it counts. I'd say the same for a lot of assists from open play as well. Squaring a ball to a player who then does all the work is hardly worthy of an assist credit, but it happens all the time. So I think you might as well include penalty wins if you're also going to include unremarkable passes from open play.

Cesc - Matic

Willian/Schurrle/Salah Willian/Oscar Hazard

Costa

This is how we'll most likely set up against the smaller teams imo, if Oscar regains his great form than i can see Willian playing on the right if not he'll repalce Oscar as the number 10.

Ramires/MVG - Matic/Romeu

Willian/Schurrle/Salah Cesc/Oscar Hazard

Costa

Against the bigger sides we'll be more cautious, Ramires will offer the legs and Cesc can push up forward and be the number 10. I highlighted who i think Mourinho would play in this situation. Our squad as a whole is amazing tbh, so much strength in depth, the only area that worries me slightly is the strikers but lets see if we bring anyone in, if not than i hope Costa can do the business.