Premier League thread

Jase

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With a lot of indifferent results ( others as well as us ), I was wondering on others posters views on points required for 1st, 4th and 17th for this season.

My opinion is that 1st and 4th could be quite low, possibly even below the PL average unless one or two teams make a big breakaway at the top.

Therefore the bubble (17th) could theoretically be slightly higher than the average

It'll be 70 points for top four and between 35-30 points to avoid the drop, IMO. I think that you're spot on when you say that this season, it'll be a new low for top four qualification - which we'll still miss out on - and a record for most points for a relegated team

There are 23 games and ergo 69 points remaining.

Considering that, at the moment, going by our form over the course of the season, we're averaging five points every five games, at that same rate we'll end up with 38 points and be in the Championship by August.

Which is exactly why we need a new manager. He's lost the dressing room. That's the only remaining explanation.

Let's say we can "transform" our form and pick up ten points for every five games hereon-in. Could potentially lead to us picking up around another 45 points, which again would leave us with only 60 points. Last year, that equated to 7th, In 2013/14 and 2012/13, 8th, in 2011/12, 7th (and thus lower than we even finished that year).

Fact is, we're fucking doomed, and finishing top eight from here is optimistic with the current outlook. To put it into perspective, even if we win all of our games between now and the end of the season, we'd have less points than we accrued last season. In other words, in 15 games this year, we've dropped more points than we did in 38 last season.

With a lot of indifferent results ( others as well as us ), I was wondering on others posters views on points required for 1st, 4th and 17th for this season.

My opinion is that 1st and 4th could be quite low, possibly even below the PL average unless one or two teams make a big breakaway at the top.

Therefore the bubble (17th) could theoretically be slightly higher than the average

Merged.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think anyone noticed that, and I know we aren't all totally believeing they could do it.

But I just noticed that Leicester play their last Premier League game at the bridge...

Let's hope they win it the week before, or they don't win it at all...

They won't finish top 4, even if I'd like them to. They will lose against City tonight. Two consecutive defeats and that's it. Adios. And I pray to God that we won't be that stupid to sign Vardy. He's a one-hit wonder.

They won't finish top 4, even if I'd like them to. They will lose against City tonight. Two consecutive defeats and that's it. Adios. And I pray to God that we won't be that stupid to sign Vardy. He's a one-hit wonder.

There is no way Leicester will finish outside the top 4. There is a gap of 8 points between them and first team outside the top 4, and thats Crystal Palace. 9 points in front of United, then you have the likes of West Ham, Stoke, Watford and Liverpool.

Perhaps they lack the extra quality to win the league, and I still believe this is Arsenal's season, but they are definetely getting a top 4 finish.

From Leicester's point of view, getting to CL is massive acheivement but it can backfire on EPL coefficient as they probably won't show the same game next year. Plus better players will be poached from them, notably Mahrez. Europa League will be better from them in terms of difficulty.

OK, so they didn't lose. Which makes this season look even more pathetic. I just don't understand how something like this is possible. The quality of City's players, looking at them individualy, is unbelievable, they should be pissing all over the league, but they are absolutely incapable of showing any consistency. as a team. When you have Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Sterling, Aguero... Maybe Pellegrini really is an impotent manager.

And maybe this really is Arsenal's season.

Let alone this, if I were to choose a Leicester player that Chelsea should sign, that would definitely be Kante. Beautiful player.

OK, so they didn't lose. Which makes this season look even more pathetic. I just don't understand how something like this is possible. The quality of City's players, looking at them individualy, is unbelievable, they should be pissing all over the league, but they are absolutely incapable of showing any consistency. as a team. When you have Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, David Silva, Sterling, Aguero... Maybe Pellegrini really is an impotent manager.

And maybe this really is Arsenal's season.

Let alone this, if I were to choose a Leicester player that Chelsea should sign, that would definitely be Kante. Beautiful player.

You've got a point but remember- best teams don't consist of the best players. Leicester have a special bond between the players and an unshaken confidence that I've not seen a team possess for a long time.

Leicester are just in a remarkable run of form and they're getting all the bounces going their way. It happens. But what also tends to happen is that the tide turns and a few bad games knocks the confidence. Vardy is the same which is why I don't understand the stories about him going to a big team for £20 million. Good player in great form, not the other way around.

What it does show is how the quality of this league has taken a massive nosedive since it dominated Europe 7 years ago, and also how competitive it is. With all the TV money coming in, any team that stands still for a moment will be mowed down.

If they make top four then it's a massive achievement but there's a long way to go.

ONLY PL

Chelsea's key player stats

Most goals Diego Costa: 6
Most assists Willian: 3
Most minutes played Cesar Azpilicueta: 1582
Most passes Cesc Fabregas: 1303
Most tackles Cesar Azpilicueta: 68
Most shots Diego Costa: 27
Most dribbles completed Eden Hazard: 54
Most crosses (open play) Branislav Ivanovic: 53
Most distance covered Nemanja Matic: 185.1km
Fastest player Eden Hazard: 34.93km/hr