Kurt Zouma

Mufassir08

Zouma is an average defender at best, he cannot pass, he cannot head a ball properly, bad positioning, only gets away with it because of his pace. The root of all our midfield problems is we can not build from the back because all our defenders just hoof the ball under pressure. Don't tell me he will improve over time because I don't think so, he can't turn into Xavi overnight in terms of his passing abilities

Harsh. I don't rate him quite as highly as most I think but he's not that bad. He's still raw and he'll need a few years because he's still learning. But he does possess some good qualities already, mainly in his physicality and the timing in his sliding tackle is there. I wish his sliding tackles were more controlled though. He's too big on 'let me slide in and kick the ball as far away as I can'. You can actually slide and keep the ball (in play).

His technique is a problem but the right partner can help mitigate that issue in the back.

if it meant signing a new ball playing defender I would jump at the chance

Agree with that, but to play alongside him. I don't think he's as bad as you make out nor is he as good as others have made out. Like Henrique said, the gulf in difference between himself and Cahill is grossly exaggerated. But the boy's got potential, undeniable potential. He's the best of a current crop of diminishing talent in terms of that and he has improved ever so slightly on a game-to-game basis. He is still only 21..

Agree with that, but to play alongside him. I don't think he's as bad as you make out nor is he as good as others have made out. Like Henrique said, the gulf in difference between himself and Cahill is grossly exaggerated. But the boy's got potential, undeniable potential. He's the best of a current crop of diminishing talent in terms of that and he has improved ever so slightly on a game-to-game basis. He is still only 21..

He's much better than Cahill for the time being. FFS, Cahill is 30 year old man and he has to be guided in every step as he can't take initiative. Kurt is trying that, goes for the ball, first then second, play high line, go with the striker even to halfway line, make challenges. Maybe if we had better setup when everything clicks then Cahill is not that bad, but when we have a bunch of players happened to be playing together then I want someone who can deal with situation on his own and Kurt is that man.

The more I look at this tackle I see perfection

Kurt my Man, take a bow!!!

He makes such perfectly timed last ditch tackles quite often. I don't think he's ever particularly failed in pulling them off. The ones on Agüero and Walcott pop to my mind first, but there have been more. He is an excellent ground tackler, that is his best attribute alongside aerial command and pace. If he improves his reading of the game, positioning (both come with experience) and technical ability (something I have doubts over with our coaching staff) he will be world class. I think he is already our best CB, but that doesn't say much.

11 minutes ago, Hybrid Angel said:

He has perfected the last ditch tackle. Still needs to work on his awareness though. Gary should have been benched for him last season. Glad to see Zouma take hold of his starting place in the team.

To be fair, Gary Cahill has also always been a great last-ditch tackler.

The problem with Cahill was that many of those last-ditch tackles he was forced to make came about because of his own mistakes in trying to play the ball out. Zouma is capable of being a ball playing centre back - at his age it's not a fallacy to think it. But if he is going to try then he can't become like Cahill and allow his personal mistakes to result in such situations.

So perhaps it's better to leave him to his already established qualities. Height, speed and strength. Signing a ball-playing CB therefore is more important for us - Is that Stones?

He can become a great CB for us and his in the box sliding tackles are the best i've seen. The only thing I would like to see him improve on is his composure on the ball and positioning. He seems really awkward when he has the ball at his feet and I don't think its due to a lack of technique but more mental confidence. Under a good coach he can work on this and his still young so I believe it will come in time as he matures.

Needs a top quality CB next to him to start off next season, we must build around Zouma in this area. I cannot see us getting much more from JT and think this season could be his last dance.

Stones, Varane, Marquinhos and so on, but do not fall short and scrape the barrel in this area again.

5 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Needs a top quality CB next to him to start off next season, we must build around Zouma in this area. I cannot see us getting much more from JT and think this season could be his last dance.

Stones, Varane, Marquinhos and so on, but do not fall short and scrape the barrel in this area again.

JT next season will be his last as a full time player imo. If we see him in 17/18 at all imo it will be in a player-coach capacity, unless something goes horribly wrong.

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

No Champions League football next season. Looking forward to the Papy-Happy combo in defence.

All of us know the footballing conditions of Kurt. What really most surprised me, was see him acting in star wars, I didn't know about his another facet.

BTW, good performance, on the match..... and on the movie :ph34r:.

running-starwars.gif