Kurt Zouma

Mufassir08

'NO NEWS ON ZOUMA UNTIL FRIDAY'

SSN reporters Alan Myers with a quick update on Everton's ongoing pursuit of Chelsea defender Kurt Zouma.

"We are still waiting to hear about Everton's attempts to sign France centre-back Kurt Zouma on a season-long loan," said Myers at Finch Farm.

"But we will not hear anything until tomorrow morning, say the club."

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2018 at 7:28 PM, the wes said:

According to transfermarkt Everton are paying a loan fee of £7.11m if that true that's smart business form the board 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jumplist/transfers/spieler/157509/transfer_id/2219671

Last year Stoke paid that , hes like a expensive dvd you used to rent 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Still baffles me how we completely killed him off after that injury. 

He was a starter, then picked up serious injury and after he came back, you knew there was no plans for him anymore. We didnt want to give him any serious playtime.

Look how City treated Benjamin Mendy inury. He was out for almost a year, but not for a second Pep forgot about him. As soon he was fit, he came back in squad, got few games and then regular spot. 

And here the club was planing on loaning Zouma out because he needs to play whole season first before he could play here. Seriously? Why not just gel him in aquad? We had Cahill who was bad anyway.

Its absolutely pathetic the way we deal with these young players. One day you are hot shit, then injury or mistake and you are completely out. 

Same with Christensen. Undisputed starter before that barca fuckup. Sure he was bad there but then the club froze him out completely. As if he forgot how to play. And surely he has low confidence after being treated that way. He might have few shit games, but with full backing his confidence would rise and he would improve last season.

3 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Its absolutely pathetic the way we deal with these young players. One day you are hot shit, then injury or mistake and you are completely out. 

Same with Christensen. Undisputed starter before that barca fuckup. Sure he was bad there but then the club froze him out completely. As if he forgot how to play. And surely he has low confidence after being treated that way. He might have few shit games, but with full backing his confidence would rise and he would improve last season.

Few shit games ? The guy went through a lenghty period where he was giving the ball away in dangerous areas nearly every game. Christensen only has himself to blame. He was making far too many mistakes. You can get away with a couple of mistakes but he just looked completely overwhelmed. The fact that Gary Cahill replacing him actually significantly improved our defense speaks volumes about how awful he was. 

On Zouma. The injury came at a bad time. By the time he was 100 % again we had already moved into a direction where we needed CB's that could play out from the back. Zouma simply wasn't/isn't that kind of CB. 

28 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

Few shit games ? The guy went through a lenghty period where he was giving the ball away in dangerous areas nearly every game. Christensen only has himself to blame. He was making far too many mistakes. You can get away with a couple of mistakes but he just looked completely overwhelmed. The fact that Gary Cahill replacing him actually significantly improved our defense speaks volumes about how awful he was. 

On Zouma. The injury came at a bad time. By the time he was 100 % again we had already moved into a direction where we needed CB's that could play out from the back. Zouma simply wasn't/isn't that kind of CB. 

Zouma was fit last year when we still had Conte. But we shipped him out on loan to Stoke where he went to play almost all games and did very well. 

Christensen deserved to be benched for a few games based on his performances, but he is young and it is expected to be inconsistent at that point. Therefore he should play to improve. I was criticising him alot in that period, but given he is young, he just has to play. We ended up 5th anyway, so we might aswell develop a few players along the road. 

Christensen played very well prior to barca game. But the way we handled situation after put alot of pressure on him. Someone like Klopp would handle it better. TAA had some horrible games down the road, but Klopp didnt put him under even more pressure.

And if anyone who plays shit for few games was about to be benched at this club, Willian shouldnt be starter for 2 years and Alonso shouldnt be starter anymore either. Its clear there is some bias towards young players. Experienced ones can play shit and get away, young ones are axed and blamed for every mistake. When it should be the other way around since experienced players are supposed to take responsibility and young ones are only learning.

What will happen with Pulisic if he doesnt perform from start? 3 bad games and he will be benched for half a year with Willian back in first 11? 

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Zouma was fit last year when we still had Conte. But we shipped him out on loan to Stoke where he went to play almost all games and did very well. 

Christensen deserved to be benched for a few games based on his performances, but he is young and it is expected to be inconsistent at that point. Therefore he should play to improve. I was criticising him alot in that period, but given he is young, he just has to play. We ended up 5th anyway, so we might aswell develop a few players along the road. 

Christensen played very well prior to barca game. But the way we handled situation after put alot of pressure on him. Someone like Klopp would handle it better. TAA had some horrible games down the road, but Klopp didnt put him under even more pressure.

And if anyone who plays shit for few games was about to be benched at this club, Willian shouldnt be starter for 2 years and Alonso shouldnt be starter anymore either. Its clear there is some bias towards young players. Experienced ones can play shit and get away, young ones are axed and blamed for every mistake. When it should be the other way around since experienced players are supposed to take responsibility and young ones are only learning.

What will happen with Pulisic if he doesnt perform from start? 3 bad games and he will be benched for half a year with Willian back in first 11? 

It shouldn't really be factored in but the price of buying a player will have a significant impact on some of these decisions I believe. You mentioned Mendy at City in a previous post, but City paid about £50m for him. He was brought to be first choice and even coming back from injury was still deemed as the first choice player for them. Also Guardiola brought him and by the time he came back from injury Guardiola was still at City.

Zouma was purchased for a much lower fee and played his way into the first team as opposed to being brought as first choice. He'd also not been playing for that long as first choice so he was hardly established in that position. Add to that we changed manager during that time who would have his own ideas and philosophy (and bearing in mind Conte's change to 3 at the back was a huge tactical shift away from Mourinho), it was always likely to be in Zouma's best interests to go out on loan and play his way back to full fitness under much less pressure.

I think it was right to take Christensen out of the firing line at the end of last season and to be fair Cahill came in and actually played pretty well. Christensen is still very much part of the squad, he's hardly been frozen out but he's currently third choice and I would say for now rightfully so because he's not currently as good as Rudiger and Luiz.

If he has the right character and mentality he'll see that Luiz won't be here forever (maybe not even beyond the season) and if he works hard and applies himself there could be an opening that he can take advantage of, like he did last season when Luiz fell out of favour with Conte.

2 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Great comment. Many here way overstate AC's issues. Until that bloody Barca game, he was playing (overall) superb football IMHO, for a 21yo CB in the EPL.

TAA (at 20!) is now a top 5 or 6 RB in world. Due to ages of the 4 or 5 in front of him (they wont be for long, 3 years max for 3 of them) the only RB I would take over him if we were given choice of any on planet would be Kimmich.

Still baffles me how we completely killed him off after that injury. 
He was a starter, then picked up serious injury and after he came back, you knew there was no plans for him anymore. We didnt want to give him any serious playtime.
Look how City treated Benjamin Mendy inury. He was out for almost a year, but not for a second Pep forgot about him. As soon he was fit, he came back in squad, got few games and then regular spot. 
And here the club was planing on loaning Zouma out because he needs to play whole season first before he could play here. Seriously? Why not just gel him in aquad? We had Cahill who was bad anyway.
The Mendy comparison doesn't really hold weight though. Mendy has the potential to be the best LB in the league. The dude is a monster. Zouma's ceiling is nowhere near that level. As much as I hate to say it, Delph at LB is worse than Cahill at CB in the systems we played. There wasn't as much competition. It made sense to not play zouma after such a long spell out. He's not good enough technically for the way we play now either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Miguelito said:

The Mendy comparison doesn't really hold weight though. Mendy has the potential to be the best LB in the league. The dude is a monster. Zouma's ceiling is nowhere near that level. As much as I hate to say it, Delph at LB is worse than Cahill at CB in the systems we played. There wasn't as much competition. It made sense to not play zouma after such a long spell out. He's not good enough technically for the way we play now either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I still contend that Zouma was perma-damaged with that massive injury and will never fully recovered to his pre-injury level. I have seen nothing to change my mind.

I still think this too about Emerson (albeit to a lesser degree).

Totally agree btw on Delph being garbage LB. Pep is growing weary of Mendy btw, and I really think he moves for Firpo or Chilwell in summer (maybe now, but I doubt that)

Shitty REALLY need a back-up and soon replacement for Fernandinho. When he is out they are so fucked (as evidenced by this season). Now that De Bruyne is back (and  soon fully recovered) and if Fernandinho stays healthy, I still say they will catch Victimpool.