Nemanja Matic

.Cee

From BBC:Former chief but still

Martin Atkinson needs a rest after his "incompetent" officiating display in Chelsea's 1-1 draw with Burnley, says former referees' chief Keith Hackett.

Saturday's game was Atkinson's 32nd of the season and came fewer than 72 hours after he took charge of Real Madrid's Champions League win at Schalke.

His next game in charge is Southampton against Crystal Palace on 3 March.

Hackett said: "Champions League games are tiring. Martin should have been given an additional day to recover."

Atkinson won't referee a game this weekend, but there is a shortened Premier League fixture list because of the Capital One Cup final.

However, he is fourth official at Manchester United's home game against Sunderland on Saturday.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho said Atkinson got four key decisions wrong.

Atkinson sent off Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic for pushing Ashley Barnes to the ground in the 70th minute of Saturday's game.

But Hackett, who was head of Professional Game Match Officials Limited until 2010, said Barnes had already made two challenges worthy of red cards.

Having not been sanctioned for an aerial clash with Branislav Ivanovic, the Burnley forward caught Matic on his left shin with his studs showing, prompting the Serb's angry response.

Barnes will face no disciplinary action by the Football Association for the challenge on Matic.

The Serb will miss Sunday's Capital One Cup final against Tottenham unless Chelsea successfully appeal against a three-match suspension.

Hackett said Atkinson's performance was "one of the worst" he has seen, adding: "It was an incompetent display.

"I feel sorry for the Chelsea player because he has reacted to a leg-breaking challenge. Never mind a cup final, that could have cost him his career.

"There is no place in the game for challenges like that and it should have been punished."

Atkinson has refereed more Premier League games than any other official this season.

Hackett added: "Send Martin to a hotel somewhere, just as Liverpool did with Raheem Sterling."

Hes 4th offical for man u game saturday

Without matic, we'll be lucky to win one of the next 3 games. We are that dependent in him.

So all those games we played and won without him before he came last January were flukey?

He's an important player but you guys need to relax.

Just heard the news about Barnes......ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME. Costa got fucking lynched for less.

Get ready for a 4 match ban Matic.....I love you anyway you absolute beauty.

There were calls for Ivanovic to be banned for his bite and whatever other bollocks was meant to have taken place...no way is this getting overturned

Lets be honest we are clutching at straws here, I just dont see us winning the appeal, it would mean undermining a ref to begin with and to add to that its Chelsea we never win appeals

Not exactly true. Chelsea are appealing under the "let the punishment fit the crime" umbrella. They acknowledge he needed to be sent off but three games is way to much for a push. This isn't a wrongful sending off appeal.

Can someone explain me how come Routledge can get his ban rescinded for a similar incident, while Matic can't?? What am I missing?? Are they taking us for fools???

2+2 for other clubs equals 4, but when it comes to Chelsea, 2+2 equals 5. FA are a joke.

Barnes also getting away with it. If it was for Diego Costa, he would have probably been deported back to Spain, with English media calling for him to be banned for life.

Disgusting. I think I'm going to throw up.

Just heard the news about Barnes......ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME. Costa got fucking lynched for less.

Get ready for a 4 match ban Matic.....I love you anyway you absolute beauty.

yeah lol... the refs didn't see costa's tackle but see barnes one... stupid...

Not exactly true. Chelsea are appealing under the "let the punishment fit the crime" umbrella. They acknowledge he needed to be sent off but three games is way to much for a push. This isn't a wrongful sending off appeal.

Be surprised if that even happens...that push could've been damaging.The FA do dont common sense most the time

Pretty sure the same appeal was successfully launched by Routledge in January

He doesn't play for Chelsea though.They're hardly gana want to show that actually he did get it wrong and Jose was right in everything he said.Also seemed that one was turned over the evening of the following day.This probably drag out and be nahhhh.Depends who sees it I guess

No Barnes punishment for foul on Chelsea's Matic

No action will be taken against Burnley striker Ashley Barnes for his challenge on Nemanja Matic, the Football Association have announced.

The Serbian midfielder was sent off for pushing Barnes after the forward caught Matic halfway up his leg.

The FA say they cannot take retrospective action as the incident was seen by the match officials, with Barnes receiving a booking for his part.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-02-23/no-barnes-punishment-for-foul-on-chelseas-matic/

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2015/2/23/8089939/ashley-barnes-tackle-nemanja-matic

This tops everything. Costa was public enemy no. 1 after his alleged stamp and they even tried to blow up Ivanovic's minor incident, which didn't even deserve to be called an incident. Barnes almost breaks Nemanja's leg and they make up an imaginary booking (who cares if he was booked anyway, ridiculous rule).

Bravo.