Nemanja Matic

.Cee

"Benfica have agreed to sell Matic, with Chelsea in pole position for his signature [O Jogo]"

Can O Jogo be trusted more than say, Daily Mail?

I know a lot of people think it would be embarassing to sign an old player back för 10 times the amount he was valued at back then, but I really dont think pride should come before success, this player could be the difference between a third and a first place in the league.

Something that I havent seen anyone mention earlier is that he was chosen as player of the month three times last season in his league, something that only Jackson Martinez managed aswell.

We are going to do that any way with de Bruyne. Might as well start now and get Matic.

Chelsea are also eyeing South African midfielder Ayanda Patosi, 21, who plays for Belgian Lokeren

I am from Lokeren and uhm ... no, not really although he is the best player for Lokeren. Also, he is more an AM(L) or attacker. Plus: the gap between a team like Lokeren and Chelsea is MEGA HUGE. Add to that his cruciate ligament surgery last year and I simply don't think he would get out of of the stands here tbh.

I am from Lokeren and uhm ... no, not really although he is the best player for Lokeren. Also, he is more an AM(L) or attacker. Plus: the gap between a team like Lokeren and Chelsea is MEGA HUGE. Add to that his cruciate ligament surgery last year and I simply don't think he would get out of of the stands here tbh.

He's also a huge Ajax fan, and they are rumoured to be interested. That's more a step to make for him then coming here..

Barcelona spent 35-40mil on fabregas, bought back pique.

Its not embarrassing if its worth it. He is home grown too. Let's stop spending money on stop gaps and buy once and for all in the midfield.

pique cost 5 m euros. fabregas was a world-class player and 35 m was an ok price. we would sign a talent with potentail for something like 25-30 m....cant compare this situations at all.

pique cost 5 m euros. fabregas was a world-class player and 35 m was an ok price. we would sign a talent with potentail for something like 25-30 m....cant compare this situations at all.

He's not just a potential. He won portugese player of the season last year. Just like hazard was french player of the season before we got him.

He's not just a potential. He won portugese player of the season last year. Just like hazard was french player of the season before we got him.

he is still nowhere near Hazards hype or potential or class. Hazard was hunted by nearly all clubs in this world, Matic is also 3 or 4 years older. and portugese player of the season aint thaaat impressive. he has not proved himself much to be honest.

he is still nowhere near Hazards hype or potential or class. Hazard was hunted by nearly all clubs in this world, Matic is also 3 or 4 years older. and portugese player of the season aint thaaat impressive. he has not proved himself much to be honest.

Which is nothing more than your own opinion. Not based on facts and concrete evidence. moreover it's a difficult comparison to make as they play different positions and also, winning the poty award ahead of players like Moutinho, James Rodriguez (both players only moved this season, they were competing with Matic for the award last season) Jackson martinez, mangala,Alex sandro,fernando,Deffour,Gaitan and garay is no mean feat.

Which is nothing more than your own opinion. Not based on facts and concrete evidence. moreover it's a difficult comparison to make as they play different positions and winning the poty award ahead of players like Jackson martinez, mangala,Alex sandro,fernando,Deffour,Gaitan and garay is no mean feat.

its not an opinion to say that he has not the hype of hazard. thats a clear fact. about class/potential we can talk, yes, but not about the hype. hazards hype was enormous and of course its unfair to compare him with Matic. still, matic will be 26 tomorrow and with 26 you are already kinda a solid player. when we signed eden he was 21? 22?. thats a big difference. I dont think that Matic has left that much room for improvement anymore, but thats just my opinion. most players are already more or less finished in their evolution with 26/27 and only get better due to experience but not in general on their skills and attributes.

its not an opinion to say that he has not the hype of hazard. thats a clear fact. about class/potential we can talk, yes, but not about the hype. hazards hype was enormous and of course its unfair to compare him with Matic. still, matic will be 26 tomorrow and with 26 you are already kinda a solid player. when we signed eden he was 21? 22?. thats a big difference. I dont think that Matic has left that much room for improvement anymore, but thats just my opinion. most players are already more or less finished in their evolution with 26/27 and only get better due to experience but not in general on their skills and attributes.

And so? he's already one of the best defensive midfielders in europe. as a natural DM only players I had rate ahead of him are Busquets, Javi Martinez, Daniele de Rossi,Carrick,Sven bender and pogba.

Other top CM's like Yaya, Gundogan, bastian, Vidal, modric et al don't qualify imo as they either play different roles for their respective teams or have different skillset.

And so? he's already one of the best defensive midfielders in europe. as a natural DM only players I had rate ahead of him are Busquets, Javi Martinez, Daniele de Rossi,Carrick,Sven bender and pogba.

Other top CM's like Yaya, Gundogan, bastian, Vidal, modric et al don't qualify imo as they either play different roles for their respective teams or have different skillset.

well, there arent that many DMs left of his type. you forgot the other Bender from Leverkussen and probably other players too (for example khedira). and I wouldnt rate him as one of the best. he has not proved himself in a top league, he wasnt that good in the CL this year etc. he is a good player, but no way I would rank him amongst the top DMs of this world. Martine/De Rossi/ Busquets and Co are all 1-2 classes above him at the moment. He is a good kid, but I would no way pay more than 20 m for him. maximum 25 m. everyhting above this would be madness.

well, there arent that many DMs left of his type. you forgot the other Bender from Leverkussen and probably other players too (for example khedira). and I wouldnt rate him as one of the best. he has not proved himself in a top league, he wasnt that good in the CL this year etc. he is a good player, but no way I would rank him amongst the top DMs of this world. Martine/De Rossi/ Busquets and Co are all 1-2 classes above him at the moment. He is a good kid, but I would no way pay more than 20 m for him. maximum 25 m. everyhting above this would be madness.

he won't leave Benfica for less than 30m. that's for sure

he won't leave Benfica for less than 30m. that's for sure

Mate, I read that article in O Jogo yesterday about Benfica willing to let Matic go in this transfer window. O Jogo was saying Benfica decided to let him go because of the early Champions League exit and some financial problems the club is dealing with. What about those financial problems? What is all about? O Jogo say that the sale of Matic would ease financial pressures and give Benfica some fiscal breathing space for a while. Now, with all this financial problems I don't think anyone will pay 30m, maybe 20-22m will be the right price since Benfica is in need for some money. Also the article said Benfica will listen to offers only after the game against Porto this week-end.

I don't think it's embarassing. He was young and clearly not good enough when we trade him. Leaving us was better for him. In Benfica he worked hard and progressed a lot so we need him.

We are literally buying him for 15-20 times what we sold him for 3 years ago. It's not an embarrassment, but it's a failure by the board to recognize his potential and a failure of our youth policies.

We are literally buying him for 15-20 times what we sold him for 3 years ago. It's not an embarrassment, but it's a failure by the board to recognize his potential and a failure of our youth policies.

You never know , to be honest. He never was loaned out somewhere seriosly or really had any game time here. I am not saying its not a mistake, but Barcelona also thought that Pique and Fabregas wouldnt be that much of a success. Reus also is a product of Borussia's youth development, but was released , thought not to be good enough. He then joined a third division team and worked hard. Sometimes its just up to the players mentality to prove that he is better than people thought. That is my main reason to prefer him over Guarin.