Nemanja Matic

.Cee

I think we should cope just fine without him. We're lucky that the suspensions have been to players that, although key for the team, have backup players that are very similar to them. Now, Cesc on the other hand, I think we'll struggle without him.

I think we should cope just fine without him. We're lucky that the suspensions have been to players that, although key for the team, have backup players that are very similar to them. Now, Cesc on the other hand, I think we'll struggle without him.

Jose will be in his ear making sure he doesn't get booked this weekend, and then the exact opposite for the following weekend. He'll want Cesc suspended for Derby.

Jose will be in his ear making sure he doesn't get booked this weekend, and then the exact opposite for the following weekend. He'll want Cesc suspended for Derby.

Yeah, I'm confident that Cesc is very smart that way that he can most probably control when he will get the fifth card. Obviously before Derby would be ideal.

We'll probably manage without Matic only because Jose is probably one of the best managers when it comes to adapting to circumstances. But don't get it twisted, the defensive contributions of Matic vs that of Mikel is not even comparable in the slightest....in the slightest. Yeah Mikel will come in and do a decent enough job of staying in position and keeping the shape, but in terms of athleticism, physicality, tackling abilities - Mikel is a big drop off from Matic.

Contrary to the popular belief here, I actually think a Mikel - Cesc pivot would work well. Obviously JOM won't be able to provide the broad range of dynamics Matic does but I think it would actually work pretty well, even if Oscar still played his auxiliary number 10 role.

Contrary to the popular belief here, I actually think a Mikel - Cesc pivot would work well. Obviously JOM won't be able to provide the broad range of dynamics Matic does but I think it would actually work pretty well, even if Oscar still played his auxiliary number 10 role.

It would work well in controlling possession, but who is going to win the ball back?

To replace Matic, you'll have to play Mikel and Ramires together lol.

It would work well in controlling possession, but who is going to win the ball back?

To replace Matic, you'll have to play Mikel and Ramires together lol.

Hence why I said different dynamics. Of course Mikel won't replace Matic's functionality in the team.

Edit:

Just to follow up on that, essentially a Mikel - Cesc pivot would give the team a completely different look and feel. Yes, we won't have the complete midfield dominance (especially in winning the ball back) Matic provides, but it's still a pretty solid base. The team dynamics would automatically change into something more akin to what Barcelona ran a few years ago (obviously not as good though). I'm thinking something like Mikel (Busquets), Cesc (Xavi) and Oscar (Iniesta). If we had a possession first game plan, it would work well. Essentially we wouldn't have to win the ball back as much because having the ball is our protection.

Well "would work well" is dependent on the style of football we want the team to play. If the plan is to go to St James' Park, keep a low block and stay compact then sure a Mikel & Cesc pivot "would work well". But if the plan to play expansively, high intensity pressing, fluid movement, with Hazard, Oscar etc interchanging positions and Cesc joining in to support the attack then a Cesc and Mikel pivot wouldn't work in my opinion.

When Costa or Hazard or Oscar turnover possession, Matic's first thought is to win the ball back, and get us attacking straight away. Mikel's first thought is to hold his position and make sure there aren't gaps. There're benefits to both styles, but the downside to Mikel's style is that the attacking midfielders have to cover more ground and the team won't be able to pin the opposition back and apply heavy pressure. As it is, Terry and Cahill are not exactly proactive defenders, and we've already seen how that at times limits the team's pressing. With Mikel in front of them, I think the team will lack intensity.

We won't miss Matic that much since we're going to be playing vs an Alan Pardew Newcastle team. They'll defend deep, let us have the ball and play on the counter. As long as Mikel holds his position and doesn't get involved with our attacks, I'll be fine.

The result would have been exactly the same with Nemanja today (unless he smashed a 40-yard screamer or something). The issue was not at all in midfield where we completely dominated and long before Newcastle parked the bus.

Sky Sports pundit Chris Kamara has claimed that Chelsea are not the same team without Nemanja Matic as Jon Obi Mikel isn’t able to produce the same level of performance as the Serbian.

Matic missed his Premier League game of the season on Saturday aginst Newcastle which, coincidently, resulted in Chelsea’s first defeat of the season and had many onlookers pointing the finger at Mikel.

The Nigerian skipper failed to replicate the tactical and technical qualities we’ve become accustomed to with the midfield pairing of Matic and Cesc Fabregas, with the Spaniard also looking out of sorts when not partnered by Chelsea’s powerhouse.

“You look at the changes Jose made on Saturday, with Jon Obi Mikel coming into the centre in place of Nemanja Matic, who sits in front of the back and plays people in. Mikel can’t do that,” Kamara wrote on his Sky Sports column.

“He can sit in front of the back four and defend but he doesn’t have that forward pass in his locker so all of a sudden it becomes very difficult. It’s no different for Liverpool.”

Kamara was also referring to Liverpool’s abject performance without their skipper and highlighting how important the deep-lying midfield positions are for teams who try to dominate possession.

its time for mikel to leave chelsea we need better cover for matic

Alan Shearer on MOTD: "Chelsea didn't play that well. There is no doubt they missed Nemanja Matic. He has started every game for them this season but John Obi Mikel was in there against Newcastle and didn't do as well. In the build-up to Newcastle's second goal, Mikel dives in, Eden Hazard dives in. There is no-one sitting in front of the back four. That said it was a really committed Newcastle performance. They were really well organised and every player knew what job they had to do. It was a thoroughly-deserved win."

matic was a big loss against newcastle

The result would have been exactly the same with Nemanja today (unless he smashed a 40-yard screamer or something). The issue was not at all in midfield where we completely dominated and long before Newcastle parked the bus.

I believe he would've done something about the goals we conceded. It wouldn't have been that easy for them to counter us.