Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Mikel's defence seems to be he's a good 'DM'. Fair enough, but the question needs to be asked whether our current system requires a 'DM' who was formed in the mould of Makelele and whether that type of player is relevant in the modern game.

Re-watch the Champions League final before answering.

Not sure if that type of 'DM' is relevant in the modern game..but what I do know is: spending 40 million on Matic would be a waste of money.

If we're looking to spend 40 million on a midfielder, I'd much rather Witsel than Matic.

Firstly, he's a billionaire.

Secondly, why would any Russian billionaire buy a football club in Portugal? To level it and turn it into a holiday villa? Is the district line getting an underwater extension?

Mikel's defence seems to be he's a good 'DM'. Fair enough, but the question needs to be asked whether our current system requires a 'DM' who was formed in the mould of Makelele and whether that type of player is relevant in the modern game.

Re-watch the Champions League final before answering.

I get your point. In a 4-2-3-1 you don't necessarily need a DM but there are going to be times where we play with a DM and 2 midfielders in front of him, as Jose said he sometimes likes 2 in front of the defence and a #10 or a sitting player and 2 midfielders. If we do stick with 4-2-3-1 which (we probably will based on our squad personnel) then signing Matic for 40m or whatever would be useless as he wouldn't really feature again because you don't always use a DM in a 4-2-3-1 and then if we are to play with a DM why spend 40m a player who is inferior to a player we already have in that position?

matic is the best player in portugal. he is better than mikel i have to say. mikel has been below par in the premier league since 2010/11 imo.

however £40m should be bid on witsel , gundogan , pogba. would only spend £20m on matic.

£50m for Torres now is laughable, yes, but not so much then. We thought we were going to get a proven PL players with a ridiculous goalscoring record, not a meek, broken player.

You on the other hand smack massive price tags on potential or records in an inferior league. I know your clubs needs to make as much money as possible, I get it. The price tags on Falcao, Luiz, Ramires were fine, probably should've even been more; but €40m for Matic is beyond ridiculous.

You were lucky Zenit came in and payed upfront cash the last time for Witsel, and if you think Chelsea are going to do something similar for a player we gave away for nothing well then, I'm sorry, but you're an idiot. We would never pay such a price for a player we basically threw away, we'd look like absolute idiots if we did. The only reason you sold Witsel last time for so much is because Zenit had to pay the premium for being in such a bad league. So you better hope they come back for Matic, because a club from a top league will never pay such a price.

P.S. I don't even rate Matic. Good, but not as good as some think and he's not even good enough to shine Witsel's boots. He played against Chelsea, a team which is a level above the teams he usually plays against, and all he looked like was a midfield thug; resorting to running around and kicking lumps out of people because he couldn't get a sniff of the ball. He was lucky to stay on the pitch.

I agree with the price for Matic being ludicrous but he is a key player for them and that is understandable. I think he has improved by miles since joining Benfica. Obviously a different league from the PL but viewings from him, I think he would do well. I also disagree with his performance against Chelsea. I thought he was very good. Dominated the ball, rarely gave it away and thought he done an excellent job. Over the 90 mins he was excellent IMHO. I do not know if you were referring to the UCL games but in the EL final he certainly had most of the ball more than any other player and I thought to myself what an improved player we let go.

I agree with the price for Matic being ludicrous but he is a key player for them and that is understandable. I think he has improved by miles since joining Benfica. Obviously a different league from the PL but viewings from him, I think he would do well. I also disagree with his performance against Chelsea. I thought he was very good. Dominated the ball, rarely gave it away and thought he done an excellent job. Over the 90 mins he was excellent IMHO. I do not know if you were referring to the UCL games but in the EL final he certainly had most of the ball more than any other player and I thought to myself what an improved player we let go.

To be fair to Matic, he's getting regular football in the right club at that critical age of 24 years to 28 years.

He's playing very well for Benfica because he's starting to mature as a player and he's got the confidence of the manager...but in saying that, spending 40 million on him would be a waste of money.

I think if we put faith into Van Ginkel and he ended up playing 40+ games a season, we wouldn't need to worry about bringing in another midfielder.

• 1 month later...

I don't believe buying Nemanja is a smart thing to do. It's mainly the principle of the matter; buying Nemanja would be a statement of past foolishness and an admission that Chelsea were wrong. I believe clubs have to have a facade of being infallible even though we all know they are not. The club has too make sure whether true or not that all decision they make are the right ones, even if it's just the illusion of being 'right'.

Matic: "I would probably like to stay another year with Benfica, but if somebody like Mourinho wanted to bring me back to London, it would be difficult to turn down. It would be a great chance to prove that I can play in the Premier League."

Just read it in El Mundo Deportivo. The article also says Benfica values Matic at €17M.