Christian Atsu

Ainsley Harriott

It should be illegal for Vitesse to have so many of our players! Atsu is going to completely destroy defenders all season in Holland with their really average defenders (well, typically). He will be amazing to watch.

actually they are our feeder club, so it ain't exactly illegal.

To be totally honest, he looks like Kakuta 2.0 to me. Nothing really that special.

It'll be interesting now since they'll be competing in the same squad!

From the very little I've seen Atsu is much faster and more direct than Kakuta. Different type of players and not really comparable in my opinion.

It is a typical future investment the club is hoping to pay-out in the very long term. It can become a superb deal or it can become a non-existing factor in our history. Only time will tell....

However, our first team attacking options are already very young (no one has more than 26), so I find it very difficult for him to break into the team for the next 2-3 years.

We know have Piazon, Atsu and Moses loaned out!

you forgot a Hazard that could be dangerous

Let's be fair, at 15, Kakuta was a pretty special talent.

Well at 15, sure, but the likes of Freddy Adu (remember him?) were being touted as being the world's next big thing at that age. Hazard is actually the same age as Kakuta, but world football never really heard of him until his 3rd/2nd last season a Lille. We all know that you can never really tell at that age, no matter how talented they may seem. I'm strictly talking about now since they're only 1 year apart from one another.

From the very little I've seen Atsu is much faster and more direct than Kakuta. Different type of players and not really comparable in my opinion.

They can be different types of players, but I just don't see much of a difference in terms of the level they're at. And since they're a similar age (Atsu 21, Kakuta 22) and since Kakuta will never touch our first team, I don't see this guy doing it. Especially when you consider the level Hazard (22), Oscar (21), de Bruyne (22) and Lukaku (20) are playing at already.

Maybe if we signed the likes of Bruma (18) instead, I'd be a little bit more optimistic.

ESSIEN HAILS ATSU ABILITIES

I've known Christian for a little while now, and I saw him when we met up with the national team recently,' he tells the official Chelsea website. 'He's a level-headed boy, a very good player and hopefully he will do well for Chelsea in the future.

'He is a winger who plays mainly on the right-hand side although he is left-footed, so he likes to cut inside, and he is quite quick as well. He is only young but already you can see he has an eye for goal.

'For a young player he is already quite experienced because he played a few matches for Porto in last season's Champions League. The loan move should be good for him as hopefully it will allow him to play more regular first team football.'

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3456942/title/essien-hails-atsu-abilities

Yeah, feels like there are not "traditional" wingers anymore.

In an age of teams focussing on the passing game (and thus wingers having the stronger foot inside to be able to play more accurate passes) more than ever, traditional wingers aren't as necessary as they used to be.

Yeah, feels like there are not "traditional" wingers anymore.

Couldn't agree more. I was so happy to see Schurrle being deployed on the right wing against Bayern and he was so effective.

In an age of teams focussing on the passing game (and thus wingers having the stronger foot inside to be able to play more accurate passes) more than ever, traditional wingers aren't as necessary as they used to be.

But they can be so effective, especially at top teams where the opposition will likely congest the center. Just look at how well they have worked for united over the years.

But they can be so effective, especially at top teams where the opposition will likely congest the center. Just look at how well they have worked for united over the years.

Depends on your tactics. In a team like United they're necessary (though United always use just one traditional winger, AFAIK) but in a team like Bayern that uses its inverted wingers as a sort of playmakers that play the through balls from the wings traditional wingers wouldn't even be half as effective as their inverted counterparts.

Depends on your tactics. In a team like United they're necessary (though United always use just one traditional winger, AFAIK) but in a team like Bayern that uses its inverted wingers as a sort of playmakers that play the through balls from the wings traditional wingers wouldn't even be half as effective as their inverted counterparts.

Mind you Bayern have enough quality to play and retrieve the ball so high up the pitch that their fullbacks can play the of the traditional wingers. But if you noticed in the second half against us, Ribery cut inside less often and tried to put in much more crosses with him sometimes exchanging positions with Shaqiri when he came on so that the later can provide the crosses.

You always need someone to play the role of the winger and provide width when you're chasing a result.

Mind you Bayern have enough quality to play and retrieve the ball so high up the pitch that their fullbacks can play the of the traditional wingers. But if you noticed in the second half against us, Ribery cut inside less often and tried to put in much more crosses with him sometimes exchanging positions with Shaqiri when he came on so that the later can provide the crosses.

You always need someone to play the role of the winger and provide width when you're chasing a result.

True that; I used Bayern just as an example though, most quality teams are set up similarly.

I feel he will be a big success for Vitesse, he had a very good footballing education at Porto. Their players get good exposure in Europe as well as a decent standard of league football so he should cope pretty well at Vitesse. Probably be one of their better players this year. Not saying hes going to have a future here for sure due to the overload of players we have in the band of three but he could become what Shaun Wright-Phillips should have been for us.