Willian

Jase

Doubt it. He's 26 and has never been a scorer. That's just not his thing. 21 Goals in 151 games in the Ukranian and Russian leagues. He's not suddenly going to turn into a goal-scoring machine. He is what he is.

I guess we'll have to play the wait and see game. he's a good striker of the ball and gets into good areas, 26 isn't old its the prime of your career. He's got better teammates to play off of too. I don't think 10 goals is out of the realm of possibility

Doubt it. He's 26 and has never been a scorer. That's just not his thing. 21 Goals in 151 games in the Ukranian and Russian leagues. He's not suddenly going to turn into a goal-scoring machine. He is what he is.

Cuadrado is the same age as Willian, last season he scored 15 goals in all competitions (11 goals in the league). He had never managed more than 5 goals before.

I think if you were to look, you'll find that there're plenty of other similar examples.

i think we can all agree that he's a good player to have, can be very useful

but for 32 mill you expect something more

I'm not even sure that's the correct amount we paid for him. Sky sports reported that the fee was around 25.5m,which is only about 6 or 7m more than we paid for Schurrle.

I have to ask again, people keep saying Willian has poor Stats over his career, but 'stats' also means Assists, anyone know how many Assists he gave every season in Shaktar?

Generaly, you dont have to score alot of goals to be a player who contribute alot statistics wise, you can also give alot of assists (Like Ozil for example, never scored more than 10 in Real but everybody knows he's a "Stars Player" with 15+ Assists per season).

So until someone will show he has low nubmer of Assists in Shaktar, i wont understand this "Fact" his statistics are poor for his entire career.

* Not every AM needs to be a scorer, so I dont get where this is come from. Ask Ozil, David Silva, Iniesta, Kross, Lavezzi, Turan, Koke... need more?

I found these figures on the Russian site sports.ru:

2010-2011 7 assists in the league
2011-2012 16 assists in the league
2012-2013 6 assitsts at Shakhtar and 1 assist at Anzhi
But it must be noted that this site counts penalties earned as assists too.

I have to ask again, people keep saying Willian has poor Stats over his career, but 'stats' also means Assists, anyone know how many Assists he gave every season in Shaktar?

League stats in Europe by season

Season ... goals, assists

2007-08 ... 0,2

2008-09 ... 5,5

2009-10 ... 5,5

2010-11 ... 3,10

2011-12 ... 5,16

2012-13 ... 3,7

2013-14 ... 4,6

http://www.transfermarkt.com/willian/detaillierteleistungsdaten/spieler/52769

willian scored 4 goals 6 assist in 46 appearance with chelsea.....schurrle scored 9 goals 3 assist in 43 appearance , salah scored 4 goals 2 assist in 16 appearance with chelsea

League stats in Europe by season

Season ... goals, assists

2007-08 ... 0,2

2008-09 ... 5,5

2009-10 ... 5,5

2010-11 ... 3,10

2011-12 ... 5,16

2012-13 ... 3,7

2013-14 ... 4,6

http://www.transfermarkt.com/willian/detaillierteleistungsdaten/spieler/52769

If thats correct, he had 16 and 10 Assists in his best seasons in Shaktar, the two seasons people started to know his name. Thats good numbers, definitely not "poor" stats.

in 12/13 he made the move to Anzi.

willian scored 4 goals 6 assist in 46 appearance with chelsea.....schurrle scored 9 goals 3 assist in 43 appearance , salah scored 4 goals 2 assist in 16 appearance with chelsea

Those 4 and 6 are combined figures from Chelsea and a few games for Anzhi before his transfer in late August, so in fact 3 of the assists are for the Russian team.

Also, these are just the league numbers so it's 4 apps and 0 goals, 3 assists for Anzhi; 25 apps and 4 goals, 3 assists for CFC; total 29 apps and 4 goals, 6 assists.

Those 4 and 6 are combined figures from Chelsea and a few games for Anzhi before his transfer in late August, so in fact 3 of the assists are for the Russian team.

Also, these are just the league numbers so it's 4 apps and 0 goals, 3 assists for Anzhi; 25 apps and 4 goals, 3 assists for CFC; total 29 apps and 4 goals, 6 assists.

i know that mean salah played less than him by 30 appearance and did almost same product 4 goals 2 assist ... willian 4 goals 3 assist

If thats correct, he had 16 and 10 Assists in his best seasons in Shaktar, the two seasons people started to know his name. Thats good numbers, definitely not "poor" stats.

in 12/13 he made the move to Anzi.

I'm not sure he had 10 assists in 2010-2011. Russian site says he had 7 assists that season. Transfermarkt.com isn't very reliable when it comes to stats. According to them, Fabregas had 19 assists in the league last season while he actually had 13(or 17 with penalties earned).

So Willian's only good season stats-wise was 2011-2012, the rest were pretty average.

He had a bad shift yesterday, but it's his first 45 mins since coming back. I do agree though that with the quality Schürrle, Oscar and Hazard are playing now it's obvious they will be the main trio at the start of the season.

Also, Happy Birthday Willian!

Cuadrado is the same age as Willian, last season he scored 15 goals in all competitions (11 goals in the league). He had never managed more than 5 goals before.

Cuadrado is an odd example. He's had a strange career where he's played almost as much as a right-back/wing-back as he has as a winger. Even so, he scored most of his goals in a far more advanced position last season whereas Willian has spent his entire career as an attacking midfielder/winger (I believe).

I'm not even sure that's the correct amount we paid for him. Sky sports reported that the fee was around 25.5m,which is only about 6 or 7m more than we paid for Schurrle.

And the BBC said £30 million http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23814060 whilst the Mail said £32 million.

I take strong objection to the implication that Muller isn't much of a 'footballer'. He reads the game better than anyone I've seen.

You misunderstood me. I used the Muller reference to highlight Willian's lack of directness and low productivity and How these type of players are more useful and valuable to a team's success than the all show no substance types. I could have used Robben, Ribery,and just about any other productive AM to make that point but Muller is less flashy.

You misunderstood me. I used the Muller reference to highlight Willian's lack of directness and low productivity and How these type of players are more useful and valuable to a team's success than the all show no substance types. I could have used Robben, Ribery,and just about any other productive AM to make that point but Muller is less flashy.

Yeah mate, I realised it after hitting Post.

We already know man, Salah is better than Willian, Schurle and Oscar, and must be a starting this season.

There is a reason Schrurle and Willian don't score and assist as much as people expect them to do. they're being played out of position because Hazard owns that left wing that every right footed winger likes to play in. players like Schurrle and Willian like to cut in and take shot, especially Schurrle. they're never going to get in dangerous area's when they're playing on the right. the best thing they can do is take a player on and cross the ball hoping for someone like Costa to head it in or tap it.

I think Willian is more of a no10, the way he shields the ball is remarkable. probably the best player we have playing with his back behind the goal. he's really agile and powerful when he's on the ball, this is why I like him. still don't know why Oscar owns that no10 role because I think he should play as a cm but thats another story. but it brings us to the problem: willian is not playing in his best position, so don't expect him to score as many as Hazard and Oscar do. the later 2 play in their prefferred positions, Schurrle and Willian don't.