Willian

Jase

I think before Bayern Munich took Costa, there were rumours about an interest in Willian.

Stroey already said it, at the end of the day it comes down to tactics, role and freedom.

It's up for speculation and discussion, but i firmly believe that Willian could have been as good as Costa at the german powerhouse.

They field so many attacking players in the line-up and the whole team goes forward, there would have been a lot more space and colleagues for the interplay.

For Brazil, one can see glimpses of what he is able to do.

I wonder how good would be Willian as a fullback, in my point of view he could florish, maybe that's what Pep thought back in the day.

Has Willian really improved though? Take away the set pieces and he's still pretty much the same player he's been these past 2 years. Like everyone else has said we wouldn't be relegation status if he was playing at a World Class level. Those sort of players can elevate even the worst of teams.

Has Willian really improved though? Take away the set pieces and he's still pretty much the same player he's been these past 2 years. Like everyone else has said we wouldn't be relegation status if he was playing at a World Class level. Those sort of players can elevate even the worst of teams.

He's won games with his set pieces. Overall play hasn't changed much, but he's saved us on numerous occasions this season. That's why the praise is possibly amplified

LOL. You just don't like him as a player and are mad that all your posts before about Oscar being a better player has been proven to be rubbish. Maybe you should look at it another way and say if our other 'world class' players performed how they should and helped Willian, we might be doing better. Funny how since you always use to criticise him and he came back proving you wrong, you were not able to praise him but instead your next post is one to find an excuse for him playing well. Typical... But let me guess, you still think Oscar makes our team better when he plays? Not surprised.

He's not a world beater but he has definitely improved. I was not a fan of Willian pre-2015, and that's putting it lightly. Before it was hard work, simple side and back passes and sideways dribbling. Simply lacking any kind of adventure and fantasy in his game. A water carrier. He would receive great praise from some and I just didn't get it.

Now his game is more vertical, he takes more chances and risks, he creates more chances for his team mates (that's my impression anyway), he engages in more take-ons (!), creating space and drawing fouls. Before 2015 his contribution to the creation of goals was very poor. Nowadays he's so much more involved, directly and indirectly, in game-changing and match-winning moments as well. Then there's his free-kicks in the current season, also game-changing and match-winning. He's bumped up a level.

You're just mad your boy Oscar has been average after hyping him up, Gilvorak.

This.

His prowess in set pieces has given him the confidence to take on players more regularly and force in the delivery like that forced own goal vs maccabi and several similar situations instead of passing backwards. Also for Brazil he has been one of their mainstays, scoring and assisting regularly (both even from open play). I am not saying that he is world class but he definitely has improved. That would be even more obvious if the players around him Costa, Hazard, Pedro who usually all are decent finishers and regular scorers, would do their job and finish off the chances he creates. He still has his deficiencies like he can't score from open play and does still not always make the right choices both off and on the ball. Still, He has always been a good player with his industrious workrate, skilfull feet, pace and dribbling ability but his increased verticality and set piece ability has made him a very good player which is exactly his ceiling and he is fulfilling it now. The players around him are the ones who should deliver and if they were to, Willian's numbers would be more impressive.

He'd have a role at City or PSG for sure IMO.

Thank God he isn´t playing for either of them, he feels at home here and has improved his overall game. I hope he stays with us for many years and becomes a legend if possible. Cheers

Still miles better than Oscar IMO, who for some reason you seem to rate extremely high.

I think before Bayern Munich took Costa, there were rumours about an interest in Willian.

Stroey already said it, at the end of the day it comes down to tactics, role and freedom.

It's up for speculation and discussion, but i firmly believe that Willian could have been as good as Costa at the german powerhouse.

They field so many attacking players in the line-up and the whole team goes forward, there would have been a lot more space and colleagues for the interplay.

For Brazil, one can see glimpses of what he is able to do.

I wonder how good would be Willian as a fullback, in my point of view he could florish, maybe that's what Pep thought back in the day.

Willian´s talents would be wasted at fullback, but i think he could play that role if necessary, if Mou asked him to, he is that versatile. I feel that Alex Teixeira would thrive a lot here at Chelsea, to add that flair and goal scoring prowess we lack in the wings, and add to that he knows Willian pretty well from their Shakthar days and they would play very well together here like they did before and that´s why we should be aiming to get him or else someone like Bayern, PSG, etc will surely get him, at least that´s my opinion. Cheers

hazard gets fouls a lot get hazard to play the no10 role so he can get free kicks in middle of the pitch and get willian to take them i love a plan when it comes together lol we would win the league with that plan lmao :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Willian reveals his secrets to being the quintessential modern, two-way playmaker

..staying strong and avoiding injury
"I focus more on core exercises - they help me improve my explosiveness. At least once or twice a week, I work on my core strength in the gym. This involves exercises that concentrate on the abdominal muscles, hips and lumbar spine. With a stronger core, you become much harder to knock off the ball and you reduce your risk of injury."
...playing physically smart
"When your team is well organised on the pitch, you don't need to waste energy. In Brazil we call this ‘running wrongly'. When the team is not compact, you end up running more, inefficiently, and you'll tire yourself out much sooner. Experienced players know when to press, attack, defend and conserve energy."
...playing tactically smart
"Under Jose Mourinho, I have improved tactically. I'm a better player defensively, knowing when to mark and press. I understand the importance of squeezing the space and forcing an opponent into making a mistake. English football is much more physical - referees don't see every contact as a foul. Looking back to when I first arrived in England, I think I can now read the game better. I can identify when it's time to dribble or when it's time to pass to a team-mate quickly."
...playing for the team
"Football has changed a lot. Nowadays, a playmaker can't just play with the ball. The role of an attacking player comes with a lot more responsibility. You must be willing to work hard, help out defensively and know how to play on both wings. You need to be a versatile player in order to succeed at the top. The best playmakers can do everything: they understand tactics, they're good in possession, they can finish and they're also in very good physical condition."

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2015/11/28/9808488/willian-reveals-his-secrets-to-being-the-quintessential-modern-two

Why hasn't anyone yet made a compilation of his FK goals so far this season?!

Go and see the thread: "Chelsea free kick goals (1996-2015)" it's only missing his last goal against Maccabi, but i will be editing it soon. Cheers