Willian

Jase

The little engine that could. He defines industry. I will always appreciate that about his game. Cuadrado was supposed to be the superior player... people often don't realise what they have.

Combined energy with tidy play, playing a crucial role in both goals. Very solid game. It's a shame Cuadrado didn't do anything with that sliced pass.

In the middle Willian is almost world class. He will be world class there. But on the wing he is wasted, when Cuadrado adapts he will have better aptitude on the wing and Hazard-Willian-Cuadrado will be the starting AM 3.

I agree Willian is by far the better player when he plays the n10 role, his qualities fits a CAM a lot more than a right winger. so next season is a real question for me because while I do want to see Willian in the middle, I think the team would be stronger with Koke/Pogba in the middle while we still have Willian in the line up, and the right wing is the only spot left.

I think that's what will happen, seeing how Jose doesn't start Willian in the 10# even this season when Oscar offers nothing. I assume Jose thinks Willian's work rate and the way he contributes to our possession with his tidy play is enough, he doesn't really want more from him.

And while it doesent give Willian the option to show how good he can be, i think that even when he starts on the right Wiliian is a player we should not drop quickly.

His lack of end product may be irritating but the balance and stability he offers this side is incredible. How many times does he break up build up play, as in miscontrols a simple pass or males a awful miscontrol, like what Rami and Oscar get slated for?

Never fails to amaze me how many underrate or even undermine this guy's contributions, people use to criticise and wonder why Fergie played "average dross" like Park and Fletcher. We have more urgent needs in our team right now than finding a replacement for Willy.

If we hold on and lift the title next month, he's well and truly earned his medal just as much as anyone else in the squad.

I usualy dislike him, but tbh I think its pretty much down to how we play and how Mou instructs him. If there was no Hazard for some reason in our team, Willian would have much bigger impact in attack with bit more free role. He would rack up stats, but sure he would influence the attack more, even more from left or middle.

He already has very limited role in team, but he also has to do half of Iva work.

Probably I like Willian alot more after seeing how Cuadrado is playing too.

I agree Willian is by far the better player when he plays the n10 role, his qualities fits a CAM a lot more than a right winger. so next season is a real question for me because while I do want to see Willian in the middle, I think the team would be stronger with Koke/Pogba in the middle while we still have Willian in the line up, and the right wing is the only spot left.

I think that's what will happen, seeing how Jose doesn't start Willian in the 10# even this season when Oscar offers nothing. I assume Jose thinks Willian's work rate and the way he contributes to our possession with his tidy play is enough, he doesn't really want more from him.

And while it doesent give Willian the option to show how good he can be, i think that even when he starts on the right Wiliian is a player we should not drop quickly.

I personally think we will be a much better team with someone like Sterling/Bale rather then Koke or Pogba. There is always so much space to be exploited on the right side. It is always congested on the left and the middle. Willian, Oscar, Hazard, and Cesc all like to play through the middle. For me it is perferable to see Willian and Oscar fight it out for the CAM position.

Mou has never been about dominating midfield, for him it is more about bypassing it.

I usualy dislike him, but tbh I think its pretty much down to how we play and how Mou instructs him. If there was no Hazard for some reason in our team, Willian would have much bigger impact in attack with bit more free role. He would rack up stats, but sure he would influence the attack more, even more from left or middle.

He already has very limited role in team, but he also has to do half of Iva work.

The right wing has become the new pivot :D

I personally think we will be a much better team with someone like Sterling/Bale rather then Koke or Pogba. There is always so much space to be exploited on the right side. It is always congested on the left and the middle. Willian, Oscar, Hazard, and Cesc all like to play through the middle. For me it is perferable to see Willian and Oscar fight it out for the CAM position.

Mou has never been about dominating midfield, for him it is more about bypassing it.

Its a valid and a reasonable opinion. But i just think adding a CAM like the two i mentioned would be a safer bet than adding a RW. i really dont want us to change our line up in the big games, like Jose do with Ramires, it has to stop and Pogba/Koke would give Jose enough stability while giving us more flair. I think Jose want to dominate midfield better than we do right now, maybe he doesnt want us to do it against Bayern and Barcelona, but i think he's worried about the way we cant keep the ball sometimes, especially against the better teams or when we're under ball pressure. Thats why imo he plays with Ramires and turns us into a "parking the bus" team, cause he cant trust the players to dominate the game. We lack that another "flair" player instead of Oscar.

The little engine that could. He defines industry. I will always appreciate that about his game. Cuadrado was supposed to be the superior player... people often don't realise what they have.

I think you're being a bit too quick to judge. Cuadrado will need at least a half of a season in Jose's system before he can even challenge for a spot. He did the same thing with Schurrle and willian, you need to gain his trust before you feature.

Having said that I've always liked Willian and though he worked hard for the team. He needs to dwell on the ball less and be more decisive in the final third. Pretty sure everyone will agree with that.

If Willian is put on the left flank, he is much more dangerous, because his right feet is better and cutting in is easier for him.

Lucescu knew that and therefore he always played there.

You are right that he doesn't have much freedom, supporting Ivanovic doesn't help either.

I ask myself, would Sterling be instructed to play similar?!

Its a valid and a reasonable opinion. But i just think adding a CAM like the two i mentioned would be a safer bet than adding a RW. i really dont want us to change our line up in the big games, like Jose do with Ramires, it has to stop and Pogba/Koke would give Jose enough stability while giving us more flair. I think Jose want to dominate midfield better than we do right now, maybe he doesnt want us to do it against Bayern and Barcelona, but i think he's worried about the way we cant keep the ball sometimes, especially against the better teams or when we're under ball pressure. Thats why imo he plays with Ramires and turns us into a "parking the bus" team, cause he cant trust the players to dominate the game. We lack that another "flair" player instead of Oscar.

If you believe Willian is a significently much better player in the middle, which you believe he is. Why not improve the RW position? because you improve the CAM and RW role. If like so many here believe that Willian is a better CAM and can do better then Oscar, then essentily you kill two birds with one stone by signing another RW like Bale/Sterling. You get more out of Willian and you get someone better on the RW.

If you believe Willian is a significently much better player in the middle, which you believe he is. Why not improve the RW position? because you improve the CAM and RW role. If like so many here believe that Willian is a better CAM and can do better then Oscar, then essentily you kill two birds with one stone by signing another RW like Bale/Sterling. You get more out of Willian and you get someone better on the RW.

Like I said, because I'm not sure Jose will trust this line up in the big games (new RW+Willian in the 10), and I'm not sure it will give us enough domination in midfield. It's very much depends on which RW we would get. For example I don't think Bale and Sterling are the way to go, because unlike Willian or Hazard they are not players who works for keeping possession, they are both very direct and mainly likes spaces, and to run deep so someone will find them with a through ball. I don't think they'll give us that improvement I'm talking about - dominate the game and keeping the ball. Koke-Willian-Hazard-Cesc-Matic, this imo will give us that. Bale/Sterlihg will give us more goal threat, but I just think it's shouldn't be the main thing we should address, I think that even when we don't have a proper RW, we can still find goals when we need them. More important imo is to make the team more balanced, a team that controls the situation, right now we can't do that comfortably. Like I said I don't think Bale and Sterling are those kind of players, but I think a different kind of RW, someone similar to Hazard with a left foot, could fit. Fekir, the 21 yo from Lyon is an example, but I don't think we'll go for that so early. Except him I can't think of any players we could buy who will offer both this "keeping the ball" mentality and ability im thinking about, AND the goal threat from the right wing you want.

Like I said, because I'm not sure Jose will trust this line up in the big games (new RW+Willian in the 10), and I'm not sure it will give us enough domination in midfield. It's very much depends on which RW we would get. For example I don't think Bale and Sterling are the way to go, because unlike Willian or Hazard they are not players who works for keeping possession, they are both very direct and mainly likes spaces, and to run deep so someone will find them with a through ball. I don't think they'll give us that improvement I'm talking about - dominate the game and keeping the ball. Koke-Willian-Hazard-Cesc-Matic, this imo will give us that. Bale/Sterlihg will give us more goal threat, but I just think it's shouldn't be the main thing we should address, I think that even when we don't have a proper RW, we can still find goals when we need them. More important imo is to make the team more balanced, a team that controls the situation, right now we can't do that comfortably. Like I said I don't think Bale and Sterling are those kind of players, but I think a different kind of RW, someone similar to Hazard with a left foot, could fit. Fekir, the 21 yo from Lyon is an example, but I don't think we'll go for that so early. Except him I can't think of any players we could buy who will offer both this "keeping the ball" mentality and ability im thinking about, AND the goal threat from the right wing you want.

Then we just have to agree to disagree, because that is exactly what we need. Cesc, Oscar, Hazard, and Willian all like to be on the ball and they all prefer to make the pass then receiving it. We need more off the ball movements and runs, we have plenty of players that look to make the pass and that want to help in the buildup. Adding this demension would make us much more balance then adding a Pogba or Koke.

As for Mou, i expect him to do what he has done through out his career. His expertise is playing on the counter and a direct style. Which is fine. He has never been one to want more possession, so i wont expect anything else.

I feel adding a player like Sterling/Bale is much more likely what we will actually do in the summer then signing a Pogba or Koke.

Then we just have to agree to disagree, because that is exactly what we need. Cesc, Oscar, Hazard, and Willian all like to be on the ball and they all prefer to make the pass then receiving it. We need more off the ball movements and runs, we have plenty of players that look to make the pass and that want to help in the buildup. Adding this demension would make us much more balance then adding a Pogba or Koke.

As for Mou, i expect him to do what he has done through out his career. His expertise is playing on the counter and a direct style. Which is fine. He has never been one to want more possession, so i wont expect anything else.

I feel adding a player like Sterling/Bale is much more likely what we will actually do in the summer then signing a Pogba or Koke.

I think when people are talking about "Mourinho needs to adjust to today's game" it's exactly about that. I dont think Bale and Sterling have a place in a top top team today, I think Bale will not be a first choice for too long in Real because he's limited when he doesn't have the space he likes. I believe if a team wants to be realy strong today, you first need the maximum of players with exeptional ball control, and very good work rate.

I think if Jose didn't understand it this season, we won't get to the level we're dreaming of. But that's my opinion only.

Personally, my guess is that Jose will do things differently this time, and I think he already done things differently by playing with Willian-Oscar-Hazard as is favorite trio. When like you said, all three are players who likes the ball at their feet. He didn't liked Schurlle and Salah and preferd Willian, I think he said something by that decision. And by getting Pogba or Koke he'll just replace Oscar with a better player, no change in the way we play from this season, just a better 10#/8#.

It's too early to say, but right now rumors talking about Pogba, not about any RWs. I'll be happy if that's the real case, but we'll see... let's hope no metter what the move will be, the team will get stronger.

If Willian is put on the left flank, he is much more dangerous, because his right feet is better and cutting in is easier for him.

Lucescu knew that and therefore he always played there.

You are right that he doesn't have much freedom, supporting Ivanovic doesn't help either.

I ask myself, would Sterling be instructed to play similar?!

Exactly. I have strange feeling having Reus, bale etc wont work on our right side. Because it will be either him or Hazard who would have limited role and less attacking freedom.

Mou team doesnt have free role player, two even less. Thing is we always have and always will play safe in big games. And as soon as we take lead there is no point in having Hazard, Bale, Sterling etc in team. 5 CBs would be more useful in that situation.

But Mou has to find balance, create a team that works together in attack and defense.

There is another problem called Ivanovic who is good in attack, but terrible in defense.

I think you're being a bit too quick to judge. Cuadrado will need at least a half of a season in Jose's system before he can even challenge for a spot. He did the same thing with Schurrle and willian, you need to gain his trust before you feature.

Having said that I've always liked Willian and though he worked hard for the team. He needs to dwell on the ball less and be more decisive in the final third. Pretty sure everyone will agree with that.

When the possibility of Cuadrado joining Chelsea was a mere rumour, I already thought Willian was the better player. So this is not a case of judging too quickly. He'll obviously do better with time, but not better than Willian imo.

Both that added dimension and more dynamism and quality in midfield are needed. Same goes for more athleticism and quality in the backline.

Just rewatched the game and wow, he was insanely good. So many attacks started with him.

- Willian>Cahill>Remy shot

- Willian>Hazard>Oscar

- Willian>Cesc>penalty

- Willian fk>Ivanovic

- Willian interception>Eden>Remy goal

And then he also beat his man on the RW and crossed the ball a few times. Combined well with Cesc and Eden. Created space with his pace running forward. And then his superb pass (one of his most underrated assets) to Cuadrado. Pfff this guy was so good, absolutely his top 3 best games for us.

Stoke at home is his favourite enemy now, last season he was the motm in that game. (Also playing at #10)

Really want to see him in the middle cause he actually also can score from outside the box:

- Norwich (left foot)

- Southampton

- Stoke

- Everton

- Watford (not televised FA cup game)

And something I've noticed ( I might be wrong) is the reason that Willian takes some set pieces is because of the ball speed. Cesc his passing and set pieces aren't that hard and fast, his balls are mostly high floating balls without a lot of power (example, assist to Costa vs Arsenal) but accurate. Willian's set pieces are faster and harder and that's tougher to defend for the enemies compared to the floating balls from Cesc.

Ironically, we had two players who are good/great at making off the ball runs and getting at the end of passes but we got rid of them for more ball players...

Thats because both of those players doesnt wotrh much if they're not given any space. And when you play for a top club like Chelsea you're not giving any, not by the small teams who seats and wait for your move, and not by the big teams who puts pressure on the ball. Salah's and Schurlle's technical abilities are too limited so they couldnt contribute in helping the team breaking a defensive fotmation, they couldnt pass or kept the ball good and quick enough under pressure. I think it will be pretty much the same with Cuadrado, but i hope and believe he's slightly better than that, so he could come off the bench and help when we need something different. First he should get stronger physically over the summer.