Marco van Ginkel

Spike

I think him playing the holding role is the reason why he probably couldn't impose himself on the game today. Should've played next to a Ramires or a Mikel, but also not to forget this was his first game this season and like every player - you need minutes.

The bad performance wasn't really his fault though.

I think him playing the holding role is the reason why he probably couldn't impose himself on the game today. Should've played next to a Ramires or a Mikel, but also not to forget this was his first game this season and like every player - you need minutes.

Agree with that. The occasion was just too much for him today, from the looks of it. Honestly expected Mourinho to haul him off early in the 2nd half, especially with that slender one goal advantage and his yellow card, but anyway...he has time to prove himself.

Just wished McEachran got similar opportunities...but Van Ginkel offers lot more in the defense department.

Completely agree.He is coming from a new league to a new team and expectations are very high.He needs playing time to improve and develop and this is where the problem starts because Jose prefers Lampard to MVG and Marco is clearly 4th in the midfield pecking order.

Rabbit in the headlights, not his fault, thrown in at the deep end and if people want to blame someone then blame Jose for selecting him against a very good Basle side which in my opinion Jose and Chelsea under-estimated by a long way last night.

Rabbit in the headlights, not his fault, thrown in at the deep end and if people want to blame someone then blame Jose for selecting him against a very good Basle side which in my opinion Jose and Chelsea under-estimated by a long way last night.

He was gonna be thrown into the deep end at some point in time. It was good to see him play, better off having a poor performance now..rather than at the business-end of the season.

He was gonna be thrown into the deep end at some point in time. It was good to see him play, better off having a poor performance now..rather than at the business-end of the season.

Exactly. He's a young lad and this needed to happen at some point. He'll learn from it and hopefully be better next time. All this patronising 'rabbit in the headlights' bullshit isn't necessary.

This wasn't the game though, he's raw, especially played alongside Frank who likes to bomb forward and Basel despite opinions are a super outfit.It's not patronising it's my opinion, and it was quite clearly not the game for him.

Oh and I can see the only place to be is in with his two cents trying to have a pop back after me saying he drags every thread off topic.....seriously pal it isn't all about you, wind your neck in and act your age for once this year.

This wasn't the game though, he's raw, especially played alongside Frank who likes to bomb forward and Basel despite opinions are a super outfit.It's not patronising it's my opinion, and it was quite clearly not the game for him.

Oh and I can see the only place to be is in with his two cents trying to have a pop back after me saying he drags every thread off topic.....seriously pal it isn't all about you, wind your neck in and act your age for once this year.

I'm offering my opinion on the player, and on some of the comments made about him by people. Don't take it personally.

We had Ramires out, Essien not registered and Mikel with a slight niggle so it made sense to play him, especially considering his lack of playing time this season after a very impressive pre-season. He's a young lad so there will be nerves whenever he gets that first start but I thought he showed some good flashes in a game where we were somewhat disjointed. He wasn't the only one though and far more experienced players have had far worse games in the last 5 days.

We simply have to support the guy, understand where he is right now and look for him to improve in the next game.

I'm offering my opinion on the player, and on some of the comments made about him by people. Don't take it personally.

We had Ramires out, Essien not registered and Mikel with a slight niggle so it made sense to play him, especially considering his lack of playing time this season after a very impressive pre-season. He's a young lad so there will be nerves whenever he gets that first start but I thought he showed some good flashes in a game where we were somewhat disjointed. He wasn't the only one though and far more experienced players have had far worse games in the last 5 days.

We simply have to support the guy, understand where he is right now and look for him to improve in the next game.

I am supporting the guy whilst offering my opinion, I respect what you are saying, your views I agree with mostly.

Nobody wants the young kids to succeed more than me, I have all the patience in the world and can't wait for them to flourish.

I agree with @Special Juan, this was not the game to start him. If Jose wants to give him minutes then let him come off the bench in games like this and start him against Hull and Swindon. This game won't do much good to his confidence, I'm afraid, or the manager's confidence in him. Only positive was his passing which was excellent, to be fair.

But of course we all have the gift of hind-sight and I could totally see why Jose started him before the game.

This game won't do much good to his confidence, I'm afraid

Really? I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him so I'm not entirely sure what his character is like, but you're saying that he's one of those guys who goes into his shell after making a few mistakes rather than working harder in training the next day and coming back stronger?

Is that what you're saying?

Really? I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him so I'm not entirely sure what his character is like, but you're saying that he's one of those guys who goes into his shell after making a few mistakes rather than working harder in training the next day and coming back stronger?

Is that what you're saying?

Any player, regardless of how strong his personality is, needs to perform well to be able to trust his own ability and do things right. If you've played any kind of sport, you'd have experienced that first hand. He's 20 years old, and his first start for the club, which coincided with his CL debut is a HUGE deal for him. The fact that he did badly will no doubt have a negative effect on his confidence. How he deals with that is an entirely different, character-based, story.

Quit trying to pick a fight with your shadow.

Any player, regardless of how strong his personality is, needs to perform well to be able to trust his own ability and do things right. If you've played any kind of sport, you'd have experienced that first hand. He's 20 years old, and his first start for the club, which coincided with his CL debut is a HUGE deal for him. The fact that he did badly will no doubt have a negative effect on his confidence. How he deals with that is an entirely different, character-based, story.

Quit trying to pick a fight with your shadow.

So you don't know what type of effect it will have on him?

Again, I'm not picking a fight but I'd hate for someone to read your post about a player's mentality and assume you had some kind of insight or knowledge about them.

The man could've been at Cobham an hour before everyone else looking at the game tape and picking up things to put into his next performance. I don't know - but neither do you.

I thought he did ok defensively as that was where he played. He was aggressive defensively which is good. I know he will come good because he has the talent. I think his stay is best because mou has specific plans for him, sending him on loan could change the type of player mourinho wants him to be.

I thought he did ok defensively as that was where he played. He was aggressive defensively which is good. I know he will come good because he has the talent. I think his stay is best because mou has specific plans for him, sending him on loan could change the type of player mourinho wants him to be.

That's not true. We were lucky that we had one of the most lenient refs in Europe yesterday because he made 3-4 bookable challenges and the one he was actually booked for I've seen players sent off for because his studs were up.

I tend to agree. A few of his tackles were a bit over-enthusiastic but he worked his bollocks off and will hopefully take something from this game. Looking forward to seeing him progress under Jose because he plays in an area we're in dire need of numbers.