Marco van Ginkel

Spike

over these first 3 games our middle two haven't been the best either in transitioning from defence to attack and even to go as far back as the madrid game.. the team looked quality with him and ramires as the two in the middle more fluid and that is what we are missing right now the fluidity.. Start of the season should be playing from his performances in preseason like others said especially versus Hull and Villa...

I could see the nostalgia in playing Frank but he is not cutting it in the middle I think he would be a better late game substitution with more legs and late runs into the box... For me MVG needs to play in next PL game

Based on meaningless pre-season performances? .Van Ginkel is for the future. He's coming off a good, but not elite season in a weak league and Lampard scored 15 goals in the Premier League last season.The lack of respect Lampard gets is ridiculous. He was very bad against Villa (but hardly the only one) but he was probably our best player in the first game and did his job against ManU quite well. Overall, in 3 games, Whoscored.com has him as our 2nd best player and Squawka as our 3rd (and in both cases is our highest rated midfielder) yet the amount of blame that gets put on him no matter what is insane. And it isn't just the goal and assist he got. Lampard has 2.3 tackles, 1.7 clearances, 10 more touches a game than any other player, 6/8 in crosses, and on and on.

Lampard isn't playing because of sentimentality, he's playing because Mourinho feels he gives Chelsea the best chance to win. Lampard was a poor fit for AVB's side because it was a quick ball-movement and people still have that idea in their heads that that is how we're going to play. Mourinho isn't going to play that style so we don't need a central midfielder who is really quick. Xabi Alonso is slow as hell and he wouldn't have been a great fit under AVB but he was great under Mourinho. Mourinho has never been shy to mix things up or to alienate veteran popular players if he thinks it means a better team (like Casillas). Lampard and Ramires are starting because Mourinho thinks they are the best combination. That's it.

Based on meaningless pre-season performances? .Van Ginkel is for the future. He's coming off a good, but not elite season in a weak league and Lampard scored 15 goals in the Premier League last season.The lack of respect Lampard gets is ridiculous. He was very bad against Villa (but hardly the only one) but he was probably our best player in the first game and did his job against ManU quite well. Overall, in 3 games, Whoscored.com has him as our 2nd best player and Squawka as our 3rd (and in both cases is our highest rated midfielder) yet the amount of blame that gets put on him no matter what is insane. And it isn't just the goal and assist he got. Lampard has 2.3 tackles, 1.7 clearances, 10 more touches a game than any other player, 6/8 in crosses, and on and on.

Lampard isn't playing because of sentimentality, he's playing because Mourinho feels he gives Chelsea the best chance to win. Lampard was a poor fit for AVB's side because it was a quick ball-movement and people still have that idea in their heads that that is how we're going to play. Mourinho isn't going to play that style so we don't need a central midfielder who is really quick. Xabi Alonso is slow as hell and he wouldn't have been a great fit under AVB but he was great under Mourinho. Mourinho has never been shy to mix things up or to alienate veteran popular players if he thinks it means a better team (like Casillas). Lampard and Ramires are starting because Mourinho thinks they are the best combination. That's it.

I'm not slagging Lampard and not disrespecting him either the man is a legend, my point is that Lampard would have a greater impact coming off the bench Mourinho said himself in the last two games our transition from defence to attack is too slow and that is a sign that both Ramires and Lampard are not doing their full job in the pivot... also not stating they are the only reason cause we have been poor as a whole in the transition. But back to MVG Lampard was barely the player we know him to be now when he was given his time to start in the PL the then manager took a shot on an unproven player albeit he was playing in PL off and on at West Ham but still was nothing to the man he became. Why is Frank given a shot but Marco deemed one for the future Frank was deemed one for the future at some point but was gievn a chance and took it.. I think Marco needs to be given a chance and the best games to do would have been start of season so if he didn't cut it we could at least have time to find him a decent loan but we won't know that now because he hasn't been given a proper run out..

i expect him to play against Everton, and from there it will surely be based on form and other factors. Seems like a quality player with a good amount of passing, dunno what other good attributes he has, but that alone is something to pin up against the partnership which has been used in the previous three. I guess Jose is being somewhat cautious in implementing the new boys into his new system or just trying to get a clearer view on who is best in the holding positions.

We can't judge thing's from the first 3 games as to whether he will get enough playing time or not, it's a long season, Azpilcueta was an unused sub for 5 times in his first 6 available games for Chelsea and turned out to be one of the most important players in our season. Oscar's appearances in August last season almost mirror's MVG's (2nd half sub on's in the first 2 games, unused sub in the 3rd).

Over the course of the season we will need all our squad.

Brilliant shout - especially when Mikel - and maybe Essien also - goes to the AfCoN.

^ aren't there? Do they just randomly decide on New Year's Day... "WE'RE GOING TO HAVE ONE THIS YEAR, BITCHES"?!?

There was 2 in the last 2 years as they changed it from the even number year to the odd number year i.e It was 2008 and 2010 now its 2011 and 2013.

Marc Overmars has admitted that #Ajax have attempted to sign Marco van Ginkel on loan, but #CFC don't want to let go of the midfielder.

Ought to be a sign that we'll give him game time.

IMO he could easily team up with Ramires or Oscar in the pivot.

I think I remember MVG saying something about talking to mou and them saying that he probably wouldn't start and play alot right at the beginning. He would be eased in to the team. Kind of reminds of what happens with Varane. So, I'm not too worried that he hasn't got any PT. Mou has also said that he will have to pick and choose when to play lamps so I am confused at why he's played so much at the beginning, but at some point I think MVG will slowly get more games and give lamps breaks

Hopefully he'll be able to make a significant impact. I really want to see him at the WC too

I think I remember MVG saying something about talking to mou and them saying that he probably wouldn't start and play alot right at the beginning. He would be eased in to the team. Kind of reminds of what happens with Varane. So, I'm not too worried that he hasn't got any PT. Mou has also said that he will have to pick and choose when to play lamps so I am confused at why he's played so much at the beginning, but at some point I think MVG will slowly get more games and give lamps breaks

Hopefully he'll be able to make a significant impact. I really want to see him at the WC too

Squad rotation isn't really that critical in August, most teams play the same lineup's in August its when the games start coming and coming in September to early December, that's when the strength of the squad will really start coming into play, as we found out to our cost last season and in Carlo's 2nd campaign.

Squad rotation isn't really that critical in August, most teams play the same lineup's in August its when the games start coming and coming in September to early December, that's when the strength of the squad will really start coming into play, as we found out to our cost last season and in Carlo's 2nd campaign.

Definitely, I agree. But I think 4 games in 12 days is a lot either way

MvG on game time at Chelsea

"That has been indicated to me. I will get minutes. From the conversations I have had, they are coming."

"In my position, in the middle, there are 4 or 5 candidates at Chelsea. There is great competition, but you expect that at a top club."

Good.