Marco van Ginkel

Spike

Best player on the park tonight. Marco - Ramires is a great partnership, they are both athletic players capable of defending and attacking. They have a good understanding, when Ramires goes forward, Marco sits and covers and vice versa. Both are good at breaking up play as well which gives us a much more balanced midfield as opposed to Ramires - Lampard or Mikel - Lampard. I'd like to see Mikel play next to Marco as well, it would give Marco more freedom to get further up the field and get into goal scoring positions.

Mikel - Van Ginkel will be tough to work, since mikel will pass the ball sideways or backwards, which will force van ginkel to come back to recieve the ball, then pass it to Mikel and make a run forward, Mikel will again pass the ball sideways or backwards. which will force van ginkel to come back and receive the ball, then pass it to Mikel and make a run forward, Mikel will again pass the ball sideways or backwards. which will force van ginkel to come back and receive the ball,then pass it to Mikel and make a run forward, Mikel will again pass the ball sideways or backwards. which will force van ginkel to come back and receive the ball,then pass it to Mikel and make a run forward, Mikel will again pass the ball sideways or backwards. which will force van ginkel to come back and receive the ball,

It will be an endless LOOP.

Sorry was getting bored, but i dont like Mikel, and this is truly how i think about his style of play.

We now have two athletes in the 2 holding roles in Ramires and Van Ginkel.

MVG - Ramires: Ginkel sits and defends while Ramires runs around the place exploiting his pace and energy

MVG - Mikel: Ginkel has the freedom to use his distribution and tackling abilities higher up the pitch while Mikel sits and defends

Mourinho has so many options now.

Mikel - Van Ginkel will be tough to work, since mikel will pass the ball sideways or backwards, which will force van ginkel to come back to recieve the ball, then pass it to Mikel and make a run forward, Mikel will again pass the ball sideways or backwards. which will force van ginkel to come back and receive the ball, then pass it to Mikel and make a run forward, Mikel will again pass the ball sideways or backwards. which will force van ginkel to come back and receive the ball,then pass it to Mikel and make a run forward, Mikel will again pass the ball sideways or backwards. which will force van ginkel to come back and receive the ball,then pass it to Mikel and make a run forward, Mikel will again pass the ball sideways or backwards. which will force van ginkel to come back and receive the ball,

It will be an endless LOOP.

Sorry was getting bored, but i dont like Mikel, and this is truly how i think about his style of play.

Evidently you don't watch him enough then if you think he just passes it sideways/backwards. Last season about 60 something percent of his passes went forward. Also for the passes he does play backwards/sideways, what's wrong with that? He plays a role in the team where hes always on to be passed to, he always retains possession and then moves it on. Defensive midfielders are their to provide an option for their team mates, break up play and fill in the gaps. Nothing more, they aren't supposed to score 56949 goals a season or create 15 goals a season.

Evidently you don't watch him enough then if you think he just passes it sideways/backwards. Last season about 60 something percent of his passes went forward. Also for the passes he does play backwards/sideways, what's wrong with that? He plays a role in the team where hes always on to be passed to, he always retains possession and then moves it on. Defensive midfielders are their to provide an option for their team mates, break up play and fill in the gaps. Nothing more, they aren't supposed to score 56949 goals a season or create 15 goals a season.

I just replied to him in the Mikel thread. Obi had 65% of his passes forward which is more than both of Ramires and Lampard. Absolute myth that Mikel only passes backwards.

I'm VERY excited to see a pivot of Mikel-MVG. It will be very solid defensively but can also retain possession very well.

Being a Chelsea fan, I should not look at or compare fees to other players.

However, I can´t help it here. Marko Van Ginkel for 8.2m was the biggest bargain of this summer, so far.

When Chelsea started to talk about him, I had not known much about him. Now, after seeing him in these few games, I am more than delighted to see this kid at Chelsea. He is calm & his collective play is a pleasure to watch.

I just replied to him in the Mikel thread. Obi had 65% of his passes forward which is more than both of Ramires and Lampard. Absolute myth that Mikel only passes backwards.

I'm VERY excited to see a pivot of Mikel-MVG. It will be very solid defensively but can also retain possession very well.

I'd be VERY excited if Mikel was sold. Then we could have an awesome midfield.

Hopefully we don't lose too many games due to lack of quality at CF & DM.

Anyway, back on topic...Van Ginkel just looks like a brilliant signing.

his passes are still slow though and he needs to win more tackles and impose himself more

his passes are still slow though and he needs to win more tackles and impose himself more

That is the rather surprising thing about him. He just slows play down so much when what you want is it just moved on quickly forwards, backwards, sideways....whatever.

Van Ginkel seems to have that slick passing style that you'd expect from a top Dutch prospect. Very excited to see how he progresses this season, alongside one of Essien or Rami in all likelihood.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3334952/title/van-ginkel-feeling-fit

VAN GINKEL: FEELING FIT

Marco van Ginkel was pleased to give another strong showing in our fourth outing of pre-season in Indianapolis on Thursday night.

The 20-year-old Dutchman started alongside Ramires as the deep midfield pair in Jose Mourinho's 4-2-3-1 formation against Inter, partnering Michael Essien for the first 15 minutes of the second half before being substituted on the hour with a good night's work under his belt.

Van Ginkel has so far figured in each of our games this summer, and has fitted in well with energetic and combative displays.

'These are my qualities,' he said afterwards. 'I think in the first half was easier to do my job, defending my midfielder who came deep a lot, but in the second half there were more spaces to attack and run past my opponent, which I also enjoy doing.

'I feel very fit. After 60 minutes I felt nothing in my legs, so that's good, and it's because we have trained well, trained hard, and I feel ready to go. I don't know what will happen on Sunday in the next match against AC Milan, the coach has to decide, but I feel I can do more which is a positive sign.'

First-half goals from Oscar and Eden Hazard put us in the driving seat against the Italians, and when they were reduced to 10 men shortly into the second half, the result was never in doubt.

'It was good, in Asia we had good games but this opponent is much stronger, Inter, and it was a good test for me personally, and for the team,' Van Ginkel commented.

'Inter had some very good players and were very dangerous in front, playing between the lines which makes it difficult to defend. The second half was much easier for us as a team because we had the extra man and they didn't have many chances. We had more and maybe we could have scored more goals. It doesn't matter though, it's good to win and 2-0 is a nice victory.'

I'd be VERY excited if Mikel was sold. Then we could have an awesome midfield.

Hopefully we don't lose too many games due to lack of quality at CF & DM.

Anyway, back on topic...Van Ginkel just looks like a brilliant signing.

Yes, we don't have quality at DM, and you want to sell our best DM lol.

Is there a thread on this forum the miserable sods on here haven't infected?

Was expecting to see people lavishing praise all over this lad yet some are calling for Mikel to be sold in a thread that has nothing to do with him.

Anyway, does anyone feel his distribution could be better? Thought he was reckless in his passing early on, giving it away in dangerous areas and played it safe once Inter went down to ten when perhaps... he could have been more adventurous.

His physique, build, stamina, workrate and athleticism are all immense. If his passing continues to evolve and becomes more crisp and precise he could potentially be one of our best ever buys.