Marco van Ginkel

Spike

passing was sloppy????????? every single pass he made was successful except for one crossfield ball to ivanovic that went over his head.

He literally had 3 passes that went out of bounds. As well as a few missed other.

But that is of course excusable as it was his first game and he was probably nervous.

I saw a few people giving him a lot of praise for today, but honestly for me I expected a bit more of him. His passing was sloppy and he seemed reluctant to make forward runs.

Of course it is too early to judge him, but it's too early to hype him as well.

I think he played well, he played as the more disciplined defensive midfield player so he didn't make forward runs so the team had some balance. I think your being a bit harsh on his passing, his passing was quite good and it was varied.

I think he played well, he played as the more disciplined defensive midfield player so he didn't make forward runs so the team had some balance. I think your being a bit harsh on his passing, his passing was quite good and it was varied.

I just don't think we should hype him up now only to be disappointed later. It's not good for his future here to get hyped up this early. Like I said, I'm not criticizing him for the performance. It was after all his first appearance for us and it is only preseason. I'm criticizing the hype some are trying to create about him based on that performance.

I just don't think we should hype him up now only to be disappointed later. It's not good for his future here to get hyped up this early. Like I said, I'm not criticizing him for the performance. It was after all his first appearance for us and it is only preseason. I'm criticizing the hype some are trying to create about him based on that performance.

No one is really overhyping him though, most are just saying he had a decent game.

Marko just kept it simple and had a decent performance. Don't see how that's overhyping him when he can play a lot better than what he did show. Plus it's a mere pre season game so I don't think anyone is making any serious conclusions about him.

The kid played well 3 misplaced passes.. in a variety of short and long balls.. But someone like KDB whom we all love gets voted man of the match and he had more misplaced passes than MVG... He is technically sound with both feet and still only 20yrs old.. I guess people would rather look at the glass half empty than half full..but to each their own

No one is really overhyping him though, most are just saying he had a decent game.

Marko just kept it simple and had a decent performance. Don't see how that's overhyping him when he can play a lot better than what he did show. Plus it's a mere pre season game so I don't think anyone is making any serious conclusions about him.

He had 6 votes for MOTM...

I still think there were instances where he could have helped out more in attack. On any account, it's too early to judge and I hope he can put in better performances in the coming games.

What you say, is also true for the entire defensive players of the team.

I thought that where the defensive midfielder were playing, the central defenders could have played there. I didn't understand why they were sitting so deep while the other team was just sitting in their 35 meters. It's not like the other team were pressing.

Too many long balls to my taste while the other team were into their box, would have liked more intricate movements.

It was a formation, and play to counter-attack.

The wing players had also not many help in the offense, the only option being often passing backwards or crossing into the box.

But it was just the first match of pre-season with many players playing for the first time together.

Tbh, i never really noticed him, in the first game. I think with the game being as one sided possesion wise as it was, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. He passed the ball well for the most part and did his job, though was never tested defensively and didn't really have to be used in transition from defence to attack as they were all so deep our more advanced players were dropping off anyway.

I thought he was technically sound which is vital, has a good eye for a Lethal pass whether from deep or close to the box and physically impressive for a 20 year old. Yes he was a bit shaky when he came on hence the misplaced passes but still had the vision to see those passes and grew in confidence later. He still reminds me of how oscar had a shaky start at chelsea but in his case he has a whole preseason to understand his team and acquire confidence.

I feel the same way as i did after the first game. I never really noticed he was there. From a defensive standpoint i suppose thats a good thing, but he wasn't involved in much of the buildup.

Only played 2 pre season friendleys so no where near enough time to say anything definitive.

Excellent defensively. His partnership with Essien (who was great again today) was great. Didn't drive forward much but that will come eventually once he gains more confidence. For now though, tidy in possession, great composure and very capable defensively. He'll def be a vital squad player.