André Schürrle

BlueLion.

You now have to give serious considerations to the possibility of Schurrle being turned into a striker.

Jose did say we had a Plan B when asked about Willian. One would presume, that means Schurrle to be instead used as a striker to make room for Willian?

that's what I said in the Willian thread.

If Willian comes I think there's a possibility for us to play with André as a false 9 or just as a striker. He has the tools to do both I just feel like he's going to take a while to adapt - as expected - but yeah, he could be moving more and more forward as time goes.

To this day I'm still feeling sorry for the chip against Hull that was just above the goal. Poor thing.

I want to believe Roman, Mou and the board actually have a plan other than demoralize and make Spurs look like idiots.

You now have to give serious considerations to the possibility of Schurrle being turned into a striker.

Jose did say we had a Plan B when asked about Willian. One would presume, that means Schurrle to be instead used as a striker to make room for Willian?

that's what I said in the Willian thread.

If Willian comes I think there's a possibility for us to play with André as a false 9 or just as a striker. He has the tools to do both I just feel like he's going to take a while to adapt - as expected - but yeah, he could be moving more and more forward as time goes.

To this day I'm still feeling sorry for the chip against Hull that was just above the goal. Poor thing.

I want to believe Roman, Mou and the board actually have a plan other than demoralize and make Spurs look like idiots.

No need for a false 9. I think he has the tools to become an out and out striker. He's got great shooting technique. Can dribble and a good first touch as well. Pace and a decent enough finish. And he's only 22. And most of all excellent movement as well.

No need for a false 9. I think he has the tools to become an out and out striker. He's got great shooting technique. Can dribble and a good first touch as well. Pace and a decent enough finish. And he's only 22. And most of all excellent movement as well.

Even though I agree about Schurrle having the ability to become an out and out striker...we still need a quality centre-forward to lead the line.

Lukaku has all the ability but he's still raw...same with Schurrle...which leaves us with Torres as our main striker..and that is a major concern.

yeah, but I'm not sure he won't transition through a false 9 before getting there. I agree I think he can be striker already, I've said it in this thread (or in Torres', not sure) a few times.

If our problem with the striker situation escalates, André can always offer an alternative and if it comes down to that I do hope it's an improvement.

I think his technique is limited. He isn't a disconcerting talented player - something a striker can always use - but maybe that's due to his age. Maybe with time he becomes our very own van Persie :P

He's fast, he has a decent touch, he shoots well. The technique I meant isn't to shoot, but to create the fancy play before shooting. It's not about flashiness sometimes, but resources to do the unexpected or to make much out of little space, limited chances, etc...

All that said, I'm still not 100% sold on him. I don't fear he'll become the next Marin as someone suggested above, but something about him makes me a bit unsure. I hope it's just because I haven't seen enough of him.

Class and and natural technique can't be learned or taught. The guy either is born with it or not. It doesn't seem to be his case, but I know too little about him to really stand by that statement. For now I'm hopeful and seeing him as a promising alternative, all while being a bit unsure :P

He often played as second striker during his time at Leverkusen, it would be interesting to see if he can make that transition to CF.

However this is what preseason was for, if the club had any intentions to try him out in that position then it already would've been done.

I'm allergic to false nines. They cause me to think of Barcelona and the Spanish national team and I immediately feel the need to trow up :mouthclosed:

Luckily, "false 9" is not in Jose's dictionary and is as far from his footballing philosophy as possible.

He often played as second striker during his time at Leverkusen, it would be interesting to see if he can make that transition to CF.

However this is what preseason was for, if the club had any intentions to try him out in that position then it already would've been done.

He did play as a striker at times for levekusen, so im sure that position wont be so unfamiliar to him as we think