Playstation 4 Or Xbox One

Beepu

Playstation 4 or Xbox One  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which console will you get?

That's a good point. In Britain they've got a partnership with Sky so I can watch most stuff on demand, but it's not in HD yet (I think). Plus it's a pain in the arse waiting for it to load the app when TV is instant.

As for the graphics stuff, I can't see most games looking better on the PS3 apart from some exclusives. Will FIFA or COD look significantly different from platform to platform? I can't see the publishers having any incentive whatsoever to do that.

It depend how sensitive you are to aliasing and framerate. If developers do nothing to add stuff like extra geometry to the PS4 version of a multiplatform title, i would expect it to run faster and have higher quality anti aliasing.

With ps3 and x360 the 360 had a slightly more powerfull gpu witch resulted in a more stable framerate on many multiplatform games.

It was only really Sonys first parties that took advantage of the cell architecture, and it took them pretty long to get to that point.

This time the CPUs are identical so it will come down to gpu power and bandwidth. From what i can tell Sony has a pretty big advantage there.

That said, i still might buy the new xbox If the price is right. I'm not playing 500 euro's just because it has kinect 2.0...

Edit: about the tv stuff. Keep in mind that is different from the way 360 does VOD.

Xbox one has hdmi input so you basically connect your cable box directly to the xbox rather then just stream content over the internet..

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After two generations of Xbox I'm switching to PS again. Very dissapointed with MS.

The specs ARE worse then PS4. Sony went with Gddr5 while MS went with regular Ddr3, witch is why they had to put in the ESram.

On sheer fillrate the ps4 will have a massive advantage plus the gpu has 50% more raw power. Ps4 games will look the same as xbox one games but will have a higher framerate and better imagequality.

Also the focus was on live tv while in the real world the focus is on time lapse tv watching. And i dont event know how theyll make it work in europe with hundreds of different digital tv providers..

Yep, this. People can reply to my posts all they want but the facts are indisputable thus I don't need to reply. Playstation 4 wins. All that's left is to see the sales figures in about 7-8 years (Which I'm sure PS4 will lead).
Look, fair enough. There's nothing wrong with non-hardcore gamers buying either console. However I think it's best if the 2 consoles are judged on their main purpose and the reason most people will buy them, Gaming, in which case, it just has to be the PS4.

Look, fair enough. There's nothing wrong with non-hardcore gamers buying either console. However I think it's best if the 2 consoles are judged on their main purpose and the reason most people will buy them, Gaming, in which case, it just has to be the PS4.

I don't know how anyone can say that before E3. Both companies are going to use that show to show off the games. I think there's a massive disconnect between what 'hardcore gamers' think is good marketing practice and what is good marketing practice.

Microsoft used their first event to show off the console and appeal to people who probably won't take notice of E3, so why on Earth anyone thinks that they can make a fair assessment at this point in time before there's been much gameplay shown on either platform is slightly confusing.

I don't know how anyone can say that before E3. Both companies are going to use that show to show off the games. I think there's a massive disconnect between what 'hardcore gamers' think is good marketing practice and what is good marketing practice.

Microsoft used their first event to show off the console and appeal to people who probably won't take notice of E3, so why on Earth anyone thinks that they can make a fair assessment at this point in time before there's been much gameplay shown on either platform is slightly confusing.

The Specs and features of both consoles. No gameplay needs to be shown to see which one will have the superior graphics capability. It's like seeing a Ford and Ferrarri (Just hypothetically, I'm not suggesting the gap will be that large). You don't need to see the race to know what the result will be.

Game wise, Sony has always released better exclusives, so it's not really a big jump to predict that will happen again, especially as Microsoft fell into its old pattern of leeching onto Call of Duty.

I believe Non Hardcore gamers don't quite get how big the Gaming side of a Gaming console is...

I've been reading up on b3d and the ESram might indeed negate the bandwidth advantage the PS4 appears to have on paper. That still leaves the raw power advantage though.. IF the rumoured specs are correct. I guess ill try to reserve gudgement untill we get more developer feedback and see actual in game footage of both.

Ah.. New console launches... Such emotional times :)

The Specs and features of both consoles. No gameplay needs to be shown to see which one will have the superior graphics capability. It's like seeing a Ford and Ferrarri (Just hypothetically, I'm not suggesting the gap will be that large). You don't need to see the race to know what the result will be.

Game wise, Sony has always released better exclusives, so it's not really a big jump to predict that will happen again, especially as Microsoft fell into its old pattern of leeching onto Call of Duty.

I believe Non Hardcore gamers don't quite get how big the Gaming side of a Gaming console is...

I believe 'hardcore gamers' don't quite get how stupid their arguments are.

I agree with some of your points, but until the games are shown then it's impossible to say and most people will probably end up buying both. That's the problem with hardcore gamers who tend to have less disposable income - they feel this overwhelming need to argue that they've chosen the right console.

Like I said earlier, I'll probably stick with my Xbox (even with it's stupid name and box that makes it look like an AV/DVR box which will look so out of place next to my DVR and AV boxes :rolleyes:​ ) for the cross platform stuff and pick up the PS3 later in the cycle for the exclusives, much like I do now (Xbox for the FIFAs and GTAs, PS3 for The Last of Us and Journey).

Quite why it has to be an either/or is somewhat beyond me. :carlo:

Ah.. New console launches... Such emotional times :)

Aside from The Last of Us, I hope we see Uncharted 4 get announced, if it's even in devlopment. Uncharted 2 was my game of the Generation, it blew just about everything away. Some, Battlefield 4 gameplay would be nice too. Sony's side of E3 is definitely generating more excitement :D

Oh and so far, WatchDogs...Looks incredible. I think it'll be hard for it live up to the hype its created but hey, let's hope it does because that would be one juggernaut of a game.

Anyone who gets a nentendo wii is a tightass

I feel kind of sorry for Nintendo, in that it's kind of become a joke to gamers because of this giant war between Sony and Microsoft. However we need to remember that, most gamers (including me) grew up with Nintendo! The N64 and countless handhelds. Such great times.

I saw a meme about this too, that the Wii U has some surprisingly awesome features so let's not go bashing it too much :)

Using Toy Story as an example, Nintendo is like everyone's version of Woody. Sure the new toy Buzz (PS and Xbox) is awesome but we will always love Woody (Nintendo) just as much.

The PS4 will be the better hardware with better exclusive games, however, those are not the most appealing things to the general public!

Xbox has three of the biggest advantages: Live, CoD DLC exclusivity and EA (read Madden and FIFA exclusive content. That is enough for most buyers in the world; which are sports, shooters and a top online experience (be that with friends or anonymous people)...

I am a fierce gamer and because of that I have always been and will always be a Playstation boy, I buy game consoles to play the best GAMES and to hae a decent free online experience, which is what PS4 will continue to deliver. However, I honestly cant see Microsoft screwing up as many people think they will. Their press conference may not have been appealing to us, but it got moms and dads going for the TV thing and the CoDs and FIFAs of life and it also made a lot of everyday media outlets (NYT, BBC, CNN, etc)...

What I am trying to say is that PS4 will be the best console, where the very high quality games will be. But in the end, Xbox One will outsell Sony and will be the better business.

Above all, there is no need for fights and pitty arguments. Both are great choices and you just need to see what fits you better! :)

EDIT: It is a bit like Apple and Samsung or iOS and Android. Two great plataforms and smartphones and different people will have different opinions and tastes. But in the end, all are good choices.

^^

The only two things that might prevent one or the other to do well is if one either launches with an extremely higher price or if one starts to show a lot of defects/bugs!

In case none of it happens, I predict Microsoft with 50% if the marketshare, Sony with 40% and Nintendo with 10%. Maintaining their geographic leadership in where they historically do so (MS in the Americas and Sony in Europe and Asia)...

@Rmpr, The always online, always on camera and microphone, paying for backwards compatability for each individual game have killed it for me. For the casual (as you said the FIFA and CoD market) it won't matter but for me it does. I find it disturbing and unethical, I know they won't be surveilling me personally but just the fact they can and at anytime greatly disturbs me. But don't count the PS4 out already, remember even with a year headstart, early exclusive and an already built in audience the Xbox360 managed to lose out to the PS3 in the end. And don't forget about that idiot a few months ago that was a PR nightmare for Microsoft. He came out swinging on the social media, to the point where he was insulting and antagonising consumners.The PS3 from about 2011 onwards had a hand every suite above the 360, who knows what will happen next gen. The exclusives pilled up and that pushed them over the line to 'victory'....

...Only if we don't count the Wii, but that's a gimmicky toy so we won't. :yes:

But on a different note, I hate what consoles have become. 10 years ago it was PS2 v Gamecube v Xbox v Dreamcast. The consoles marketed themselves. It wasn't about social media, online capabilities, touch screen pads, gimmicks, and all that other bullshit, if it were the Dreamcast probably would have won. Consoles sold themselves through their content. People looked at what console had the preferable ganes library and they choose that one. Exclusives and first pary developement not all the cherries and sweets on top. If it were up to me I would regress and make less more. Focus on games and playing them online. Forget social media, multi-media platforming and other gimmicks like touch screens.

@Rmpr, The always online, always on camera and microphone, paying for backwards compatability for each individual game have killed it for me. For the casual (as you said the FIFA and CoD market) it won't matter but for me it does. I find it disturbing and unethical, I know they won't be surveilling me personally but just the fact they can and at anytime greatly disturbs me. But don't count the PS4 out already, remember even with a year headstart, early exclusive and an already built in audience the Xbox360 managed to lose out to the PS3 in the end. And don't forget about that idiot a few months ago that was a PR nightmare for Microsoft. He came out swinging on the social media, to the point where he was insulting and antagonising consumners.The PS3 from about 2011 onwards had a hand every suite above the 360, who knows what will happen next gen. The exclusives pilled up and that pushed them over the line to 'victory'....

...Only if we don't count the Wii, but that's a gimmicky toy so we won't. :yes:

But on a different note, I hate what consoles have become. 10 years ago it was PS2 v Gamecube v Xbox v Dreamcast. The consoles marketed themselves. It wasn't about social media, online capabilities, touch screen pads, gimmicks, and all that other bullshit, if it were the Dreamcast probably would have won. Consoles sold themselves through their content. People looked at what console had the preferable ganes library and they choose that one. Exclusives and first pary developement not all the cherries and sweets on top. If it were up to me I would regress and make less more. Focus on games and playing them online. Forget social media, multi-media platforming and other gimmicks like touch screens.

I dont disagree Jake, I feel extremely uncomfortable with Kinect being turned on all the time and Xbox checking my internet connection. But I bet you most people buying them wont even know it does this!

Also, I am not discrediting PS4. I just think they cant beat what the costumer base Microsoft has buold with this generation (thanks to Sony's major fuck up with the PS3 late and expensive launch). Until now, they have chisen the right aproach and they are winning some important media outlets.

However, Xbox still has the better business (I said business, not console). Live makes an absurd amount of money while PSN gives expenses and Microsoft didnt subsidize their media as Sony did between 2006-2008. Above that, Xbox exclusives sell much more than Playstation.

So, although I think PS4 will have very similar numbers as Xbox One (like PS3 and Xbox 360). MS will gain more money than Sony, thus my guess of 50% and 40% of marketshare, respectively. :)