Boston Marathon Explosions

Special Juan

This thread is good in a way -it proves theres much more important things than supporting a bunch of multi millionaires kicking a ball about.

Yes, there are diverse opinions, and discussions about the value of life, but that is to be expected from a global community whilst there are divisions called 'countries'.

They aren't worth more - we just care more in this country about them because we have deep cultural ties with America. In fact America and Britain simply garner more attention in the news because they have a greater cultural reach.

I'm sorry if this is the first you're learning of this, since in a thread about a possible terrorist attack your confusion reached such proportions that you felt compelled to ask such a question whilst bodies were still being dragged off the streets, but that's simply the way the modern world works. It's much like the way people from Lebanon spend time on forums talking about English Premier League teams - our lives, our culture simply have an attraction. It's why people take an interest in them around the world and also why some people want to attack them.

I dont know if I laugh or if I cry...

People watch EPL because "your culture" and "your lives" are more attractive? SHUT THE FUCK UP!

People only watch EPL because of the players it has and those certainly aren't Englsih. If the players start all going to Bundesliga, nobody will give a flying fuck about your league. Put a thing in your narrow minded imperialist head, nobody gives a shit about UK anymore. They just want to watch the players and the players are there because you pay more than other countries, not because they actually prefer England.

Worst of all is you taking that metaphor to the attack level. Suggesting your lives are more interesting than those in Iraq and that is why it makes the news (worldwide news, not only in UK). This is a deeply racist thing to say!

To the bigger scale, just because you drink tea at 5pm or because you eat a disgusting breakfast (which is good btw), it doesnt mean you live an English lifestyle. All the western world and most of the eastern world lives in the American Way. There is no scape, their gigantic influence is right there at the jeans you wear or at the song you listen to or even in the movies you watch. Because of that, Brazilians or Lebanese live a pretty similar life than "yours". I cant see how much more evolved and superior you can possibly be.

You dont live in the British Empire, the World has changed. USA are smart enough to let their pride go and make deals and agreements with the new power group (China, Russia, India, OPEC, Brazil, Mexico, etc), but European pride will just cause enourmous damage. Accept you dont rule a fucking shit anymore and you are dependent of both our money and our immigrants. Life will be easier!

So you're basically saying that you're better than everyone else in the world, that's why your lives are worth more and that's why people want to attack you. You write it very articulately, but that doesn't hide how much ignorance is in that post, not least of which is the ignorance towards the causes and roots of terrorism. Your 'ideas' remind a lot of Nazism.

Are you actually ignorant or is this an act? I clearly didn't say our lives are 'worth more'. I pointed to the cultural and commercial reasons why stories like this garner attention. Try reading it.

No I did not want to start a political debate (which I did not), and I still don't want to so that's why I won't explain what I meant by that sentence. What I did want to do, is raise some awareness to a lot more people dying around the world and to say maybe if we gave those people similar attention we can prevent the death of more of them.

Yes, we know about that. They get mentioned in our news reports too, they just don't get much prominence for the reasons I mentioned.

FYI, those people dying in Iraq, have Adidas shoes too. As much as you hate to admit it, those people have a very similar life style to yours. You're not in any way special. Most the people on the globe in the 21st century have an almost identical lifestyle. We go to schools, then universities; we work then get married and have kids. In fact you'll find people more different from you in your own country than most of the Iraqi population. You just use the "people like me" excuse to justify the ranking your race above other races. It's 'diluted' racism.

Unfortunately people look at stories that tend to reflect their own lives. We (by that I mean Britain) has a long history with the United States and it's people, and we focus a lot on what happens there. You also have to look at other forms of media, be it television and film and look at the massive cultural reach the United States has. The images that we see in this news story are eerily similar to images in action films, so there's that aspect as well. You throwing your toys out of the pram and invoking both racism and Nazism in your reply is utterly pathetic.

And how are the PL and the Lebanese football league comparable to the death of human beings? The PL is better and worth much more than the Lebanese league. But this is just the main fallacy that you commit in your 'analysis'. You're equating owning better stuff and earning more money to being a better human than others. Well excuse me, but to me, the value of the life of a human is NOT proportional to the worth of his physical belongings.

I'm not making ANY judgement whatsoever on the worth or value of a human being. Again, this is either ignorance or simply an attempt to subvert the meaning of my post.

We obviously share nothing in common in the matter and there is no point making an endless argument about this. So I won't reply to your posts here anymore.

Fair enough.

I dont know f I laugh or if I cry...

People watch EPL because "your culture" and "your lives" are more attractive? SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Again, that's not what I said.

People only watch EPL because of the players it has and those certainly aren't Englsih. If the players start all going to Bundesliga, nobody will give a flying fuck about your league. Put a thing in your narrow minded imperialist head, nobody gives a shit about UK anymore. They just want to watch the players and the players are there because you pay more than other countries, not because they actually prefer England.

Are you one of those 'fans' who is only here because of the players we have?

Worst of all is you taking that metaphor to the attack level. Suggesting your lives are more interesting than those in Iraq and that is why it makes the news (worldwide news, not only in UK). This is a deeply racist thing to say!

It's not racist at all. It's an acknowledgement of the realities of news viewerships. You know those ad breaks in between the reports? Well companies pay for them, and the prices depend on the number of people watching them. Ergo, news companies will tend to give greater prominence to stories that attract bigger audiences.

To the bigger scale, just because you drink tea at 5pm or because you eat a disgusting breakfast (which is good btw), it doesnt mean you live an English lifestyle. All the western world and most of the eastern world lives in the American Way. There is no scape, their gigantic influence is right there at the jeans you wear or at the song you listen to or even in the movies you watch. Because of that, Brazilians or Lebanese live a pretty similar life than "yours". I cant see how much more evolved and superior you can possibly be.

It's almost like America has a great cultural reach - gee, someone should have mentioned that.

You dont live in the British Empire, the World has changed. USA are smart enough to let their pride go and make deals and agreements with the new power group (China, Russia, India, OPEC, Brazil, Mexico, etc), but European pride will just cause enourmous damage. Accept you dont rule a fucking shit anymore and you are dependent of both our money and our immigrants. Life will be easier!

Again, I don't disagree with what you're saying - you're disagreeing with something I actually haven't said.

Guys which "organization" did this? was it Al-Qaida ?

Im guessing you were one of the Millions of people trending "Muslims" right after the incident...

If not, my apologies.

I don't mean to sound corny as hell, but sometimes, it feels that this world does indeed need a Super-Man...

1. Again, that's not what I said.

2. Are you one of those 'fans' who is only here because of the players we have?

3. It's not racist at all. It's an acknowledgement of the realities of news viewerships. You know those ad breaks in between the reports? Well companies pay for them, and the prices depend on the number of people watching them. Ergo, news companies will tend to give greater prominence to stories that attract bigger audiences.

4. It's almost like America has a great cultural reach - gee, someone should have mentioned that.

5. Again, I don't disagree with what you're saying - you're disagreeing with something I actually haven't said.

1. What did you say then?

2. The kind of fan that I am is none of your business.

3. Just because this is how it works, it doesnt mean it should be this way. Hence the moan of most members in this thread. Nobody said this isnt how things work, people are just saying the it is wrong.

4. What? I was talking about how your English lifestyle isnt even English...

5. Again, what did you say then?

6. This is totally off-topic.

3. Just because this is how it works, it doesnt mean it should be this way. Hence the moan of most members in this thread. Nobody said this isnt how things work, people are just saying the it is wrong.

Althought it is true that the Premier League does indeed spend alot, (Which is going to catch up with them inevitably) You're a fan of the Premier League because of certain players they have and many others feel the same too hence it's popularity? Correct me if im wrong, but was that what you were implying?

1. The post is still there for you to read.

2. It's okay - you didn't need to answer.

3. Actually Choulo's original post was a question. He asked

Why should the lives of people in Boston be worth more than those in Syria, or Mali or Bahrain or Somalia...etc?

despite the fact that he almost certainly understood 'why' the story was given greater prominence and knew exactly the type of response he'd get.

4. Again, I agree to a certain extent and actually referenced it in my original post.

5. Post is still there.

Althought it is true that the Premier League does indeed spend alot, (Which is going to catch up with them inevitably) You're a fan of the Premier League because of certain players they have and many others feel the same to hence it's popularity? Correct me if im wrong, but was that what you were implying?

Yes, I am a plastic fan who watches EPL because of the players and as soon as everyone leaves I will leave also. :doh: