Boston Marathon Explosions

Special Juan

First off, thoughts with the families and friends of the victims. Very unfortunate scenes.

That said, I hate to sound like a cynic (who am I kidding, I love it! :P), but it's hardly the big news that people are making it out to be. I mean an explosion like that wouldn't even make the news in Syria, atm. I'm probably just being mean, but I find the overreaction about this very annoying. Why should the lives of people in Boston be worth more than those in Syria, or Mali or Bahrain or Somalia...etc?

I don't mean to offend anyone, and if my post does, then I apologize. It's just a philosophical/ethical 'observation'.

You have a point but just 1 thing I'd like to point out...bombs goin off at the Boston marathon is different than bombs goin off in Syria or Baghdad at the moment...

It is considered "shocking" news in Boston whereas in Syria, Somalia, etc it's just another day (so sad to say and no offence intended)..

God Bless..

First off, thoughts with the families and friends of the victims. Very unfortunate scenes.

That said, I hate to sound like a cynic (who am I kidding, I love it! :P), but it's hardly the big news that people are making it out to be. I mean an explosion like that wouldn't even make the news in Syria, atm. I'm probably just being mean, but I find the overreaction about this very annoying. Why should the lives of people in Boston be worth more than those in Syria, or Mali or Bahrain or Somalia...etc?

I don't mean to offend anyone, and if my post does, then I apologize. It's just a philosophical/ethical 'observation'.

They aren't worth more - we just care more in this country about them because we have deep cultural ties with America. In fact America and Britain simply garner more attention in the news because they have a greater cultural reach.

I'm sorry if this is the first you're learning of this, since in a thread about a possible terrorist attack your confusion reached such proportions that you felt compelled to ask such a question whilst bodies were still being dragged off the streets, but that's simply the way the modern world works. It's much like the way people from Lebanon spend time on forums talking about English Premier League teams - our lives, our culture simply have an attraction. It's why people take an interest in them around the world and also why some people want to attack them.

I didn't say that more deaths in other places makes this less important. Like I explained in my other posts, my criticism is of the media coverage. If the media give as much coverage to the people dying from hunger in Africa or the unarmed peaceful protesters being killed in Bahrain, then that would raise awareness and get more people to act to stop and limit those death and that would save a lot of people. If you find that so immoral, then I apologize.

I won't get into why this over-coverage is bad because it will just cause pointless political debates.

And that's not what you wanted when you posted in this thread? Give it a rest.

Oh look, those people are getting lots of attention. I don't understand why....it's all so confusing to me.

You're not an idiot so don't act like one. You knew exactly what you were doing and you knew the answers to the questions you were asking. If you want to moan about someone, moan about someone like me. I watch the news and the ads in between are targetted at people like me.

Unfortunately I'm going to tune in to events that impact people that look like me. You want to know what people like me see when we see people blown up at Marathons? Asics trainers, Adidas windcheaters - I own those and there were people wearing similar things being knocked down by the force of the explosion. People sadly (or not) watch news that impacts on their lives, or on people like them. IEDS in marketplaces in Syria or Iraq are anathema to my way of life. It's not something I have to imagine, so why would I sit through the ads waiting for the next update on a story about that?

Now you already knew all this, yet you still asked. When we won the league in 2010, did you ask people why the winners of the Syrian, Iraqi, Pakistan or whatever's league wasn't getting the same media attention? Isn't that unfair, or were you able to understand how the media works in that instance?

They aren't worth more - we just care more in this country about them because we have deep cultural ties with America. In fact America and Britain simply garner more attention in the news because they have a greater cultural reach.

I'm sorry if this is the first you're learning of this, since in a thread about a possible terrorist attack your confusion reached such proportions that you felt compelled to ask such a question whilst bodies were still being dragged off the streets, but that's simply the way the modern world works. It's much like the way people from Lebanon spend time on forums talking about English Premier League teams - our lives, our culture simply have an attraction. It's why people take an interest in them around the world and also why some people want to attack them.

This maybe true but you say it in very arrogant ways.

But...the media where? In the US and in Europe of course they're going to cover it more. If they are covering it more in Lebanon than they do the Syrian crises, then that's astonishing. If the media gave more coverage to people dying from hunger in Africa, nothing would happen. The coverage of starvation in Africa has been going on for as long as I can remember and longer. Is there anybody who doesn't know that there is massive hunger in much of Africa? There have been concerts, rallies, charities galore and all of it has amounted to nothing. People like to think of the media (and society in general) as top-down whereas generally, it's just capitalist. The stories that get covered are the stories that interest people. The news has a lot of power, but its power is also limited. It can't dictate what interests people and in the West, it has to fight for attention and gear its news to that. It can show horrible images and people will think "that's sad" and then turn the channel to watch a football match or celebrity gossip. If there were any sort of market for the sort of news you'd like to see, it would have happened but there isn't and it isn't a conspiracy. It's human nature.

Yes, in fact, those explosions did get more media coverage, in Lebanon, than the Syrian crisis today. And in the whole world for that matter. I was not criticizing the American media, it's only normal they cover this, but the world media. And no, I don't think the coverage for the starvation crisis in Africa is enough. Millions of people have no idea of the graveness of the issue r how many people are dying each day. And I don't think the media shows what the masses want to see, but rather the masses want to see what the media shows them. Anyways, let's just drop the subject..

Why does it have so much coverage instead of Middle Eastern or African conflicts? It's pretty straightforward. Those countries are in state of war, such things are already standard there and everybody knows something bad is cooking. Also, it's the USA. They control the biggest media outlets in the world, what happens in America sells more newspapers and gains more viewers than anything else for many reasons. Also, USA is not a country with a war on its soil, such attacks are rare and the 'unknown' behind it (who did it? why they did it? how they did it?) attracts big attention.

Meanwhile, I wonder if the States will find some "terrorist organization" from Iran or some shit responsible behind it and invade the country? Time will tell.

So you're basically saying that you're better than everyone else in the world, that's why your lives are worth more and that's why people want to attack you. You write it very articulately, but that doesn't hide how much ignorance is in that post, not least of which is the ignorance towards the causes and roots of terrorism. Your 'ideas' remind a lot of Nazism.

And that's not what you wanted when you posted in this thread? Give it a rest.

Oh look, those people are getting lots of attention. I don't understand why....it's all so confusing to me.

You're not an idiot so don't act like one. You knew exactly what you were doing and you knew the answers to the questions you were asking. If you want to moan about someone, moan about someone like me. I watch the news and the ads in between are targetted at people like me.

Unfortunately I'm going to tune in to events that impact people that look like me. You want to know what people like me see when we see people blown up at Marathons? Asics trainers, Adidas windcheaters - I own those and there were people wearing similar things being knocked down by the force of the explosion. People sadly (or not) watch news that impacts on their lives, or on people like them. IEDS in marketplaces in Syria or Iraq are anathema to my way of life. It's not something I have to imagine, so why would I sit through the ads waiting for the next update on a story about that?

Now you already knew all this, yet you still asked. When we won the league in 2010, did you ask people why the winners of the Syrian, Iraqi, Pakistan or whatever's league wasn't getting the same media attention? Isn't that unfair, or were you able to understand how the media works in that instance?

No I did not want to start a political debate (which I did not), and I still don't want to so that's why I won't explain what I meant by that sentence. What I did want to do, is raise some awareness to a lot more people dying around the world and to say maybe if we gave those people similar attention we can prevent the death of more of them.

FYI, those people dying in Iraq, have Adidas shoes too. As much as you hate to admit it, those people have a very similar life style to yours. You're not in any way special. Most the people on the globe in the 21st century have an almost identical lifestyle. We go to schools, then universities; we work then get married and have kids. In fact you'll find people more different from you in your own country than most of the Iraqi population. You just use the "people like me" excuse to justify the ranking your race above other races. It's 'diluted' racism.

And how are the PL and the Lebanese football league comparable to the death of human beings? The PL is better and worth much more than the Lebanese league. But this is just the main fallacy that you commit in your 'analysis'. You're equating owning better stuff and earning more money to being a better human than others. Well excuse me, but to me, the value of the life of a human is NOT proportional to the worth of his physical belongings.

We obviously share nothing in common in the matter and there is no point making an endless argument about this. So I won't reply to your posts here anymore.