Lewis Baker

Stats

Full highlights if anyone is interested:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1r1fqn_chelsea-u21s-v-arsenal-highlights_sport

If I'm not mistaken, this is the match that guaranteed we finish the regular season on top of the U21 table (and obviously we qualify for the play-offs). That's really remarkable considering that all our best U21 players are out on loans!

Baker shows we have amazing academy but bad first team integration...

As much as I hope to see RLC-Baker at some point, I dont expect it. The board, owner, expectations, coach, playing style, history tells there wont be much chance for the likes like Baker, RLC, Feruz,...

I hope he makes it though

I think we shouldn't buy any CM's again.

We should try out RLC, Baker and Vanginkel next season beside matic.

They can comfortably take lampard and mikel's spots in the team and finally give our youths inspiration that they can make it here.

Baker shows we have amazing academy but bad first team integration...

As much as I hope to see RLC-Baker at some point, I dont expect it. The board, owner, expectations, coach, playing style, history tells there wont be much chance for the likes like Baker, RLC, Feruz,...

I hope he makes it though

Fact is England youth setup is the bigger problem. There need to be a Chelsea B team, its hard to integrate players when you are relaying on other teams to help and develop our kids to make the jump. Simply being at the mercy of other teams to develop our players is pretty shitty.

Fact is England youth setup is the bigger problem. There need to be a Chelsea B team, its hard to integrate players when you are relaying on other teams to help and develop our kids to make the jump. Simply being at the mercy of other teams to develop our players is pretty shitty.

Another problem is that academy plays completely diferent style of football than senior team. Different philosophy etc. One reason why Barca or Ajax academies are great is because youth and senior players play in same system and style.

Another problem is that academy plays completely diferent style of football than senior team. Different philosophy etc. One reason why Barca or Ajax academies are great is because youth and senior players play in same system and style.

Clearly you haven't seen any Chelsea youth games. The academy play exactly the same way as the first team. Especially this season/year. They have carbon copy styles.

But it's still huge leap moving from u21 football to PL and CL football. Some players might have to switch positions/roles IF THEY MAKE IT to the first team. Like Ake, while he has played mainly as a CB at youth level(also played LB and DM), he is more likely to make it as a DM in the first team.

Clearly you haven't seen any Chelsea youth games. The academy play exactly the same way as the first team. Especially this season/year. They have carbon copy styles.

But it's still huge leap moving from u21 football to PL and CL football. Some players might have to switch positions/roles IF THEY MAKE IT to the first team. Like Ake, while he has played mainly as a CB at youth level(also played LB and DM), he is more likely to make it as a DM in the first team.

Granted it's on a different level but our academy play better football. They dominate games a lot more than we do.

Granted it's on a different level but our academy play better football. They dominate games a lot more than we do.

Yes indeed, the Academy is very dominant and are often more pleasant to watch. But that's down to a number of things.

Among other things, the academy guys have played that style for a long time. Basically it's how they are trained to play. And they almost never deviate from it.

But at first team level, they guys sometimes change styles especially when playing very difficult opposition. The first team guys also haven't been playing that style of high pressing and quick passing all their lives. They have to adopt to the new system. And previously the Managers were all using different systems to that of the Academy.

This yr the the Academy and the first team have both been playing the same way.

The first team has been less succesful because the players have to adopt and get used to the system. That's why they have been very inconsistent in both results and beauty of performances. Also Mou has often deviated from the style; I think precisely because the players are not yet confortable in their roles and also limitations in players available. Where as the Academy almost never change the style of play and the players are very comfortable in their roles.

As always, was superb. If Lewis doesn't break into the first team at some point something is seriously wrong.

Has the potential to be one of the best midfielders the country has produced in years.

Too, top player.

I know he's already made his debut for the first team but would love to see him given more chances over the next few seasons.

What are his strenghts and weaknesses?Is he creative?

Strengths

Two-footed

Excellent technique

Brilliant set piece taker

Vision (Yes, he is a creative playmaker)

Good balance/strength

Composed

Versatile (CM but can also play on either flank or as a no.10

Weaknesses

Lack of pace but not really an issue as that does not really affect the position he plays in.