Spike

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamest thing I've heard since januzaj's nomination for young sports personality.

Clearly you haven't got a clue about punk and Blink 182.

I'm pretty sure if there ever was a band in it for the money than it would be Blink 182. Because REAL PUNK is about break ups and fucking dogs in the ass.

PUNK

I MISS YOU - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON ME YOUR ALREADY THE VOICE INSIDE MY HEAD

PUNK

ALL THE SMALL THINGS - TRUTH CARES - TRUTH BRINGS

PUNK

I PICK YOU UP ON OUR VERY FIRST DATE, I'M SO NERVOUS

SO PUNK

I GOT NO REGRET RIGHT NOW - FEELING THIS

They wanted money. They got money by marketing 'edgey' and 'hip' pop rock to 15 year olds that need something to relate to. They are clever, but not punk.

I'm pretty sure if there ever was a band in it for the money than it would be Blink 182. Because REAL PUNK is about break ups and fucking dogs in the ass.

PUNK

I MISS YOU - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON ME YOUR ALREADY THE VOICE INSIDE MY HEAD

PUNK

ALL THE SMALL THINGS - TRUTH CARES - TRUTH BRINGS

PUNK

I PICK YOU UP ON OUR VERY FIRST DATE, I'M SO NERVOUS

SO PUNK

I GOT NO REGRET RIGHT NOW - FEELING THIS

They wanted money. They got money by marketing 'edgey' and 'hip' pop rock to 15 year olds that need something to relate to. They are clever, but not punk.

Just cause they are commercially successful and stayed together doesn't make them less punk.

They may have tilted to a more pop punk later but their earlier songs were all punk.

It doesn't always have to be rebellious and anti-government to be called punk. They are definitely a different kind of punk, and obviously one people can relate to.

All the more, they sound punk all day every day and it isn't always about the lyrics anyway.

Do they even sound like Bieber or Katy Perry which is clearly pop?

Just cause they are commercially successful and stayed together doesn't make them less punk.

They may have tilted to a more pop punk later but their earlier songs were all punk.

It doesn't always have to be rebellious and anti-government to be called punk. They are definitely a different kind of punk, and obviously one people can relate to.

All the more, they sound punk all day every day and it isn't always about the lyrics anyway.

Don't see what that has to do with anything because it wasn't one of my points why they aren't punk. The Clash are successful.

Not really. Maybe Cheshire Cat, but Travis wasn't in Blink then anyway. I'm being generous by saying they are Pop-Punk but that barely counts anway. Even bands like the Buzzcocks and Gang of Four could be called Pop-Punk but they in their bare essentials embody Punk far more than Blink every has and ever will. The pure fact is that most Blink songs are written like pop songs, catchy hook, loud chorus, it is all very formulaic. Not only do they not try and step out of their comfort zone like a lot of punks bands do (The Clash, PILL, Television, Refused, Fugazi, Black Flag), they practically make the same album over and over again.

They usually are, well maybe not always rebellious and anti-goverment. The whole point about Punk is to be counter-culture. Hard to be counter when you are selling music to the biggest market. Their music is clearly manufactured towards a target demographic like a Hollywood movie is. Do you really think it's Punk to be writing songs in mind that everyone can relate to? I doubt Ian McKaye wrote Straight Edge with the thought in mind that people will relate to it. I don't relate to Straight Edge at all, but it's still a magnificent example of punk.

Haha, listen to Rancid's Let's Go or NOFX's The Greatest Songs Ever Written (By Us) and tell me that Blink sound punk.

Haha, it doesn't have to sound like those to be pop. Motely Crue/Guns N Roses/Bon Jovi are obviously pop music. But do they sound like Bieber and Perry?

Puting Blink let alone Barker in the same bracket as bands like: Clash, Rancid, NOFX, Refused, Social Distortion, X, Television, Buzzcocks, Gang of Four, Black Flag, Anti-Flag, Descendents, Fugazi, Minor Threat, The Germs, Iceage, Metz, Minutemen, Operation Ivy, Streetligh Manifest among others is blasphemy.

Don't see what that has to do with anything because it wasn't one of my points why they aren't punk. The Clash are successful.

Not really. Maybe Cheshire Cat, but Travis wasn't in Blink then anyway. I'm being generous by saying they are Pop-Punk but that barely counts anway. Even bands like the Buzzcocks and Gang of Four could be called Pop-Punk but they in their bare essentials embody Punk far more than Blink every has and ever will. The pure fact is that most Blink songs are written like pop songs, catchy hook, loud chorus, it is all very formulaic. Not only do they not try and step out of their comfort zone like a lot of punks bands do (The Clash, PILL, Television, Refused, Fugazi, Black Flag), they practically make the same album over and over again.

They usually are, well maybe not always rebellious and anti-goverment. The whole point about Punk is to be counter-culture. Hard to be counter when you are selling music to the biggest market. Their music is clearly manufactured towards a target demographic like a Hollywood movie is. Do you really think it's Punk to be writing songs in mind that everyone can relate to? I doubt Ian McKaye wrote Straight Edge with the thought in mind that people will relate to it. I don't relate to Straight Edge at all, but it's still a magnificent example of punk.

Haha, listen to Rancid's Let's Go or NOFX's The Greatest Songs Ever Written (By Us) and tell me that Blink sound punk.

Haha, it doesn't have to sound like those to be pop. Motely Crue/Guns N Roses/Bon Jovi are obviously pop music. But do they sound like Bieber and Perry?

Puting Blink let alone Barker in the same bracket as bands like: Clash, Rancid, NOFX, Refused, Social Distortion, X, Television, Buzzcocks, Gang of Four, Black Flag, Anti-Flag, Descendents, Fugazi, Minor Threat, The Germs, Iceage, Metz, Minutemen, Operation Ivy, Streetligh Manifest among others is blasphemy.

You can't even call them pop punk. That is just ridiculous.

Again, you are basing your point on how much they are commercially successful.

Counter culture? Sum 41 songs are pretty much the exact same thing and they sound a lot like Blink 182.

For me, it's about the music and not particularly about the lyrics always.

And there is a reason they stand out and it's cause they are good.

And i thought GnR, Bon Jovi were rock band and Motley Crue classic rock, even.

I'm not saying they are punk through and through bit they certainly have their share of punk in them.

Agree to disagree

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Counter culture? Sum 41 songs are pretty much the exact same thing and they sound a lot like Blink 182.

I'm not saying they are punk through and through bit they certainly have their share of punk in them.

Agree to disagree

I NEVER COMPROMSIE.

Again, quote where I stated that commercial success has anything to do with it. So, you are either reading me wrong or putting words in my mouth. Pop music has no sound. It is a style and structure of a song that makes it pop. Pop songs are characterised by the forumulaic approach to music which Blink adhere to. There are plenty of bands that have adhered to this approach and have had no commercial success. Pop music doesn't = bad music at all but punk music in general doesn't adhere to the usual structure of a punk song.

Blink doesn't sound punk nor do they have a distinctly unique sound.

Blink write song that appeal to a large target audience.

Most of their songs are formulaic.

Blink do not have a DIY attitude or ethic.

Nothing about Blink is remotely punk.

Sum 41 aren't punk either. The fact that you listed two of the least punk bands I can think that are associate with punk, makes my head spin. Sum 41 are fucking terrible one of the worst bands I've heard. At least I can say I actually like Blink. I do like Blink, but I'll never say they are punk.

Look this a pretty much a pop song but it's far more punk than Blink will ever be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFvhd--qDDU

Agree to disagree

I NEVER COMPROMSIE.

Again, quote where I stated that commercial success has anything to do with it. So, you are either reading me wrong or putting words in my mouth. Pop music has no sound. It is a style and structure of a song that makes it pop. Pop songs are characterised by the forumulaic approach to music which Blink adhere to. There are plenty of bands that have adhered to this approach and have had no commercial success. Pop music doesn't = bad music at all but punk music in general doesn't adhere to the usual structure of a punk song.

Blink doesn't sound punk nor do they have a distinctly unique sound.

Blink write song that appeal to a large target audience.

Most of their songs are formulaic.

Blink do not have a DIY attitude or ethic.

Nothing about Blink is remotely punk.

Sum 41 aren't punk either. The fact that you listed two of the least punk bands I can think that are associate with punk, makes my head spin. Sum 41 are fucking terrible one of the worst bands I've heard. At least I can say I actually like Blink. I do like Blink, but I'll never say they are punk.

Look this a pretty much a pop song but it's far more punk than Blink will ever be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFvhd--qDDU

The entire point that Blink 182 is formulaic is wrong in the first place. How do you get "stay together for the kids" to "Cheshire Cat" in terms of style?

Let's just say both the band are pop punk with huge punk influence. Anything less than that and comparing them to Justin fucking Bieber is beyond comprehension.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...