Spike

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Revolutions Per Minute is one of the most underrated Punk albums of the last 15 years. Incredibly brilliant stuff.

Edit: Voices off Camera is a masterpiece.

Edit 2.0: Posting in this thread while having a hip-hop sig might seem kinda weird...

@Fulham Broadway, I'm not entire sure how old you are, but can you remember when those songs were made? I it would have been incredibly awesome to be a teenager witnessing the rise of punk and everything it meant and stood for!

One of my all-time favorites.

I love minor threat, they're just so...well punk! :D This is probably my favorite Minor Threat song:

Dookie was a great album. After that...well, let's say, it was mixed. I'm not sure it was ever punk though. To me Punk is a specific anti-establishment movement that happened in the mid to late 70's. There are plots of neo-punk bands and bands influenced by punk, but it isn't quite the same thing.

By that logic you can also say that even in the 70s only a hand full of bands were truly punk and the rest just "inspired by punk". Punk inspired a lot of bands in the 80s and early 90s that had the punk 'attitude' which is arguably what punk is about, you can say they aren't really punk, but they were definitely punk-related. Now punk is, unfortunately, completely dead.

Very true. Straight Edge launched the movement that changed people's perception of Punk completely. Absolute masterpiece.

Not only that. Straight edge has become an ideological attitude how to live. Even nowadays, and especially nowadays I might have to say, the spirit of being straight edge is become more and more popular.

Not only that. Straight edge has become an ideological attitude how to live. Even nowadays, and especially nowadays I might have to say, the spirit of being straight edge is become more and more popular.

Very true. Too bad the majority of people don't know where this "spirit" came from, though..

I mean just imagine going up to a teenage girl who's a vegan because it's 'cool' nowadays and explaining to her that one of the main reasons why veganism is popular now is because of a social movement started by a few Punk Rock bands in an attempt to alter social norms and create a new ideology! :lol:

By that logic you can also say that even in the 70s only a hand full of bands were truly punk and the rest just "inspired by punk". Punk inspired a lot of bands in the 80s and early 90s that had the punk 'attitude' which is arguably what punk is about, you can say they aren't really punk, but they were definitely punk-related. Now punk is, unfortunately, completely dead.

I would say that there were only a handful of punk bands (that anyone ever heard of). You're right though, many bands stayed closed to the punk ethos even later on. (I can compare this to say, Rock n' Roll which was a specific phenomenon in the 50's to early 60's. Many bands, most even, were influenced by this music, but they were not rock n' roll bands per se. Rock n' roll, like punk, to me, is about a specific period as well as a certain sound and characteristic).

I would say that there were only a handful of punk bands (that anyone ever heard of). You're right though, many bands stayed closed to the punk ethos even later on. (I can compare this to say, Rock n' Roll which was a specific phenomenon in the 50's to early 60's. Many bands, most even, were influenced by this music, but they were not rock n' roll bands per se. Rock n' roll, like punk, to me, is about a specific period as well as a certain sound and characteristic).

True, but I don't think any music genre has ever influenced, not just music, but societies as whole as much as Punk and as quickly as Punk.

True, but I don't think any music genre has ever influenced, not just music, but societies as whole as much as Punk and as quickly as Punk.

I don't know. I wasn't alive so it's impossible for me to gauge. I think it probably depends on the country and how the music lined up with events that were happening at that time.. I know rock directly helped end Jim Crow for example which I think was a massive, massive change. Also disco...um...well...it...disco...um...yeah.

You missed my question :(

@Fulham Broadway, I'm not entire sure how old you are, but can you remember when those songs were made? I it would have been incredibly awesome to be a teenager witnessing the rise of punk and everything it meant and stood for!

You missed my question :(

Sorry Choulo - yes didnt see the question ! Yes being around then and seeing all the old music swept aside you really thought things were changing

Saw the Clash 3 times, Skids 4 times, Stiff Little Fingers, Sex pistols, Undertones, The Jam, Ian Dury and the Block heads, UK subs, Exploited, Siouxie and the Banshees, Crass, Sham 69, Lurkers, Chelsea, The Damned, and a lot more besides !

Sorry Choulo - yes didnt see the question ! Yes being around then and seeing all the old music swept aside you really thought things were changing

Saw the Clash 3 times, Skids 4 times, Stiff Little Fingers, Sex pistols, Undertones, The Jam, Ian Dury and the Block heads, UK subs, Exploited, Siouxie and the Banshees, Crass, Sham 69, Lurkers, Chelsea, The Damned, and a lot more besides !

Wow! You actually saw the Sex Pistols live?! :fainthv9:

Do you think Punk promised more than it delivered in terms of change?