Spike

Yeh i know that story ;) and one that would only be partially true. And even now you arent saying anything why they shouldnt be considered a true punk band...

"The band was a tool by McLaren to gain further noteriety and fame as well as further lining his already golden laced pockets."

You let it seem they accepted that??

Also what does it matter where they sell merchandise and what not, in every group you have money-hungry managers (same as in football) who dont really care about the group but just want to make as much as possible money. You do need some money to record your songs/make albums, they saw a chance to do it like that so why not? I would imo...

I am also quoting, perhaps from same article you read?

"The Sex Pistols were dead – for now. Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon notoriously hated Malcolm McLaren due to business matters and other reasons, and as a result, the global punk scene, identifying with the voice of the Sex Pistols, rather than their manager, mostly hated Malcolm too. Few however could deny his importance, and Rotten, after winning full rights to the name along with the band back from McLaren, finally cashed in more on his own.

On the day that Malcolm McLaren died, the voice that he brought to terrorize the world with “Anarchy in the U.K,”Johnny Rotten, finally buried the hatchet. Johnny Rotten stated,“Malcolm McLaren RIP. For me Malc was always entertaining, and I hope you remember that. Above all else he was an entertainer and I will miss him, and so should you."

Anyways all that aside , the lyrics they wrote, the passion they had, the uncaring about public opinion while they performed (at first you can be sure they were boo'd a lot, but that happens always when your "unusual and new, uncomprehendable for some people", their determenation not to become mainstream is what made punk what it is today.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh i know that story ;) and one that would only be partially true. And even now you arent saying anything why they shouldnt be considered a true punk band...

"The band was a tool by McLaren to gain further noteriety and fame as well as further lining his already golden laced pockets."

You let it seem they accepted that??

Also what does it matter where they sell merchandise and what not, in every group you have money-hungry managers (same as in football) who dont really care about the group but just want to make as much as possible money. You do need some money to record your songs/make albums, they saw a chance to do it like that so why not? I would imo...

I am also quoting, perhaps from same article you read?

"The Sex Pistols were dead – for now. Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon notoriously hated Malcolm McLaren due to business matters and other reasons, and as a result, the global punk scene, identifying with the voice of the Sex Pistols, rather than their manager, mostly hated Malcolm too. Few however could deny his importance, and Rotten, after winning full rights to the name along with the band back from McLaren, finally cashed in more on his own.

On the day that Malcolm McLaren died, the voice that he brought to terrorize the world with “Anarchy in the U.K,”Johnny Rotten, finally buried the hatchet. Johnny Rotten stated,“Malcolm McLaren RIP. For me Malc was always entertaining, and I hope you remember that. Above all else he was an entertainer and I will miss him, and so should you."

Anyways all that aside , the lyrics they wrote, the passion they had, the uncaring about public opinion while they performed (at first you can be sure they were boo'd a lot, but that happens always when your "unusual and new, uncomprehendable for some people", their determenation not to become mainstream is what made punk what it is today.

The member may have been Punk but the band certainly wasn't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Let's liven up this thread again. I was a having an interesting discussion the other day: Is Green Day still punk?

Billie Joe Armstrong once said, „A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!' So he kicks over the garbage can and says 'That's Punk?', and I say 'No, that's trendy!”.

Make whatever you want out of this :lol:

Billie Joe Armstrong once said, „A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!' So he kicks over the garbage can and says 'That's Punk?', and I say 'No, that's trendy!”.

Billy Joe Armstrong is an idiot. Did you see his meltdown on stage? Screaming about how punk he is and how long he has been around for.

Billy Joe Armstrong is an idiot. Did you see his meltdown on stage? Screaming about how punk he is and how long he has been around for.

Lol, I'm not a big fan of his either. I used to listen to Green Day but that's long ago, can't deny though that I still love a lot of their songs. "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" comes to mind first.

Lol, I'm not a big fan of his either. I used to listen to Green Day but that's long ago, can't deny though that I still love a lot of their songs. "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" comes to mind first.

For me Basket Case is their magnum opus

I still like some of their music like 21 guns, for example, it's a decent song, but it's just too main stream and too 'tame' to be punk.

Now that was Punk! Although, for me, Holiday edges Basket Case as their best song just for the epic lyrics.

I still like some of their music like 21 guns, for example, it's a decent song, but it's just too main stream and too 'tame' to be punk.

Now that was Punk! Although, for me, Holiday edges Basket Case just for the epic lyrics.

It's more like Alt Rock.

Dookie was a great album. After that...well, let's say, it was mixed. I'm not sure it was ever punk though. To me Punk is a specific anti-establishment movement that happened in the mid to late 70's. There are plots of neo-punk bands and bands influenced by punk, but it isn't quite the same thing.