The Wire

Kezza

I agree with that, because they aren't really all that similar - The Sopranos leans more towards the drama aspect of the genre of crime drama, whereas The Wire leans more towards the crime side of it. But comparisons are inevitable because they were the two outstanding shows that aired during the same time.

The differences between the 'bad guys' in the two shows is really what drives that home, that the shows don't have much in common - compare, for example, Phil Leotardo to somebody like Chris Partlow. Both are roughly in the same position as each other, the highest ranking guy after the boss

Though of course Phil becomes boss in season 6

but Phil is a man possessed by ideas of family honour and whatnot. He's an ideologue, a hothead. Partlow on the other hand is a cold blooded killer, he almost never shows emotion and he gets on with his business without making a great deal of fuss about it.

And when he finally does it's amazing.

Crazy scene.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The Wire last night. I thought the 2nd season was the "worst", if you can say that about any of the seasons really, and the 4th was the best one IMO. It was close but that version of the intro song in the 4th season just makes the difference.

• 5 weeks later...

I've never watched a movie/tv series for several times. But with The Wire is different, I'm currently rewatching it. Just finished Season 4. This show is so deep, definitely the best in the history of television. It's not even a show, it's the most accurate reflection of ghettos. The analysis of a culture, so close to (some of) us. Great story, superb acting, nothing cheesy, the show of my life. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, True Detective, amazing series, but not in the class of The Wire. Or The Sopranos.

I've never skipped the credits. Sometimes I got tears in my eyes when I listen to that song. Reminds me of my childhood on the streets of Bucharest.

Greatest TV show to ever grace television screens. Never ever did I enjoy a show as much as The Wire. I'd probably use all the adjectives I know on this show if I'd be native in English.

Excellent series tho there was bits of it that went on too long for me. Like all the stuff with the Polish dock workers and with Stringers chasing power with the property deals.

Good thing the lads werent using their mobiles now as its so much easier to get caught. Best way is the interweb. Impossible way to get caught.

Excellent series tho there was bits of it that went on too long for me. Like all the stuff with the Polish dock workers and with Stringers chasing power with the property deals.

Good thing the lads werent using their mobiles now as its so much easier to get caught. Best way is the interweb. Impossible way to get caught.

Those dockworkers were awful. Amazing series though. Raw, gritty, realisitc.

The 'safe zone' areas set up by Colvin that they called on the streets Hamsterdam where altho it wasn't legal to sell and take heroin/crack in but the cops turned a blind eye because it kept them all in one area and off the corners and no gang banging going on actually works in places across Europe now. They have Drs on hand that look after ODs and any other drug related illnesses plus clean works and enviroment to stop the spread of blood related diseases.

I dont know why countries dont go all the way and decriminalize all drugs. Theres already some countries done it and its been effective. Yet we in Britain are so backwards theyre still nicking people for a bit of weed.