Norwich 0-1 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Two things: 1. I thought Luiz was very, very good after Mikel came off. He stayed back and won the ball in the air and also on the ground. Attacking wise, he played the best 2 passes of the game to Mata and Cole. Isn't this what people want from the 2nd midfielder playing next to the DM? productivity at both ends of the pitch? Luiz offers this, he has some areas to work on, but this is just his 3rd start in the position.

2. Ivan-Cahill partnership makes me miss JT less. Very solid most of the time.

Solid most of the time yes..but will be very glad when JT gets back. I don't think Ivanovic can always cover for Cahill's mistakes.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said twice that i was satisfied with the 3 points (obviousley) but to be extremely happy about the result or game itself, no friggin way.

Then you clearly have no idea how much other top clubs have struggled to get points at Norwich this season. Jesus Christ, were you on sabbatical during our back to back championships? Because both titles were won the back of performances very similar to the one today. Norwich defended amazingly well, which was only boosted by the fact that their support was behind them nearly the entire match. There's a reason why this is arguably the most competitive league in the world and if you think that we should stomp over any side that aren't the Bin Dippers, Yids, Arsenal, City, etc, then I'm afraid to say that you are watching the wrong sport.

i noticed norwich often make their 2 striker to press our side,

when our CB have the ball and try to buliding attack from cech direct ball to cb

and thats really good to make our building attack struggle, hard to distribute the ball from cb to midfield

not comfort to give the ball to double pivot midfield, and the way they pressing is blocked pass option

i just hope, rafa know this problem and how to manage this

Torres touched the ball like 4 times, and in all those 4 times he dispossessed it. And we are getting rid of our only other striker.

He was well marked , you cannot fault him . And Did he got any service ? He was making the runs , did someone tried to pass the ball ? aye mate ?.

And if you saw that United 4-3 win over Newcastle , the service both Chicharito and RVP got was immense , I don't know how do you guys rate Anton Valencia here , but the crosses he put for them was mouth watering .

I said twice that i was satisfied with the 3 points (obviousley) but to be extremely happy about the result or game itself, no friggin way.

In the ideal world, we would all want the team to score 3-4 goals in every games and smash the opposition to bits but unfortunately, in reality, we all know it doesn't work that way. Regardless of the quality players that we have, one cannot just disregard the oppositions that we face and expect them to just roll over, let us score 3-4 goals past them and give us the 3 points. Furthermore, we have practically been playing a game every 3-4 days this season and there's no way the players can play at their 100% best every time. Sometimes you just go to do a professional job on the opposition and grind out the win even if it's not pretty or spectacular.

As many have pointed out, Norwich won 1-0 against both Arsenal and Man United and they didn't give too many chances away in those games while created a couple themselves. Admittedly, we weren't at our best offensively yesterday but defensively, we were solid and organized. We restricted them in creating chances from open play and their only opportunities to score came from set pieces and Bassong's header at the end was the closest they came to scoring. As I said, it wasn't pretty and arguably got a bit nervy watching it towards the end but I wouldn't mind us in games like this against a team in good form and don't often lose at home, to be a bit streetwise in our approach and grind out the win rather than just trying to open expansive attacking football in every game resulting in us getting exposed, which has happened a lot this season, and lose the game.

In the ideal world, we would all want the team to score 3-4 goals in every games and smash the opposition to bits but unfortunately, in reality, we all know it doesn't work that way. Regardless of the quality players that we have, one cannot just disregard the oppositions that we face and expect them to just roll over, let us score 3-4 goals past them and give us the 3 points. Furthermore, we have practically been playing a game every 3-4 days this season and there's no way the players can play at their 100% best every time. Sometimes you just go to do a professional job on the opposition and grind out the win even if it's not pretty or spectacular.

As many have pointed out, Norwich won 1-0 against both Arsenal and Man United and they didn't give too many chances away in those games while created a couple themselves. Admittedly, we weren't at our best offensively yesterday but defensively, we were solid and organized. We restricted them in creating chances from open play and their only opportunities to score came from set pieces and Bassong's header at the end was the closest they came to scoring. As I said, it wasn't pretty and arguably got a bit nervy watching it towards the end but I wouldn't mind us in games like this against a team in good form and don't often lose at home, to be a bit streetwise in our approach and grind out the win rather than just trying to open expansive attacking football in every game resulting in us getting exposed, which has happened a lot this season, and lose the game.

I agree, it was a solid performance and we were well organised defensively.

We just lacked a bit of pace going forward but it's understandable as the offensive players seemed tired and the heavy grass of the pitch didn't help as our offensive players relies heavily on the first steps and touch with the exception of Moses who is more a tank.

When we have Azpilicueta on the right back, we are better defensively.

Even when the opponents seems to be a bit ahead, Azpi can come back and making it hard for him, slowing down the play while Ivanovic had not the pace to do it. Meaning that the central defenders have less help to do and when they have to do it, have more time.

That's the biggest regret I have on the selection that Rafa made against Corinthians. Moving back Ivanovic on the right while he's not as good as Azpilicueta to close down, slowing down an opponent.

Why are people giving Mata the MOTM? He played like shit the whole game apart from his tremendous strike. Seems as if people just vote for the goal scorer... I was hoping for Mata to be substituted before he scored that strike. That's how bad I thought he was playing. Was slow in making decisions and hurting the fluidity of the offense actually.

I broadly agree with you that Mata was poor for most of the game, but without his moment of brilliance, we don't get three points. If there were someone else who was excellent, I'd have voted for them, but nobody really stood out.

Thought we played tired, but I'm not surprised with the amount of matches we've had in this recent stretch. Mata had a brilliant goal but thought he was average throughout the most of the match. I've never been a fan of Luiz.. and his current role hasn't changed that. I think he takes stupid shots and seems lost at times while playing. Good win against a tough Norwich side though.

Here's something potentially interesting:

After 18 Premier League matches last season, our record stands at:

W10 D4 L4 F36 A21 CS4 - 34 points

After 18 Premier League matches this season:

W10 D5 L3 F37 A17 CS8 - 35 points

When we have Azpilicueta on the right back, we are better defensively.

Even when the opponents seems to be a bit ahead, Azpi can come back and making it hard for him, slowing down the play while Ivanovic had not the pace to do it. Meaning that the central defenders have less help to do and when they have to do it, have more time.

That's the biggest regret I have on the selection that Rafa made against Corinthians. Moving back Ivanovic on the right while he's not as good as Azpilicueta to close down, slowing down an opponent.

With Azpilicueta at right back, we are better both defensively and offensively, in my opinion. :)

Why are people giving Mata the MOTM? He played like shit the whole game apart from his tremendous strike. Seems as if people just vote for the goal scorer... I was hoping for Mata to be substituted before he scored that strike. That's how bad I thought he was playing. Was slow in making decisions and hurting the fluidity of the offense actually.

Correctomundo,

Like cech incredibly overrated all of the time.

But it would seem, slowling the pace down to a walking pace cutting inside then allowing the oppositions defence to re-align and get back in position then try and tread the ball through them with little to no chance of success, is considered "beautiful football", or as i like to call it boring wanker work.

He only played 12 minutes dude? He will get MOTM next game. No worries!

He did great @ breaking up a counter (because of a sloppy Luiz) & conceding a yellow for that one.

We were defenitely more dangerous when he was on. But not enough for a MOTM vote imo...

Still a surprise. Even when he barely touch the ball he gets a lot of votes for motm.