Fernando Torres

Lets be honest he has been awful and his confidence has gone ,but I believe there is still a chance Jose can bring Nando back to life and I think Nando needs us to play higher up the pitch and press ,he needs quick ball ,he maybe best when we are countering unlike the Drog who could hold three defenders off on his own .

The Munich goal was classic quick counter and a first time finish with good movement ,I believe Jose can spark him back to life and I hope so.

I know it's been done a thousand times - but I'm still convinced the way we play makes it harder for a striker to shine.

If Eto'o comes in and fails to play it will be because he's washed up blah blah

Lets face it - the only striker to ever really settle in our team was Drogba and even then he had some off games

I think Torres will get much more chances with Schurrle and Hazard / Willian on the wings...

Even when he's playing for Spain - the midfield piss around too much and he just drops deep - his best (and only) position is on the shoulder of the last defender - with balls slid in behind or across. Give Torres too much time to think, he fucks it, let his natural instincts take over and he scores...

More whipped in balls and more through balls is needed - along with a higher tempo and that's not just for Torres - that's for Lukaku, BA and Eto'o ....

I agree with you about it being difficult for our strikers here. Here's a look of how many goals Didier has scored in all his seasons here (from the most recent to the oldest: 13, 13, 16, 39, 14, 16, 33, 16 and 16). Fernando had 23 and 11 in the two full seasons he played for us. Anelka had 25 in one season, but the guy who has always been in our top3 top scorers is Frank Lampard and in the past decade sometimes as the top scorer. So it makes you think why strikers rarely have a great season with us with more than 30 goals and why more often than not Lamps is who scores more for us, 'competing' with all different strikers (Torres, Anelka, Didier)

In the last three seasons Robin van Persie scored 30, 36 and 20 goals for example (as he's younger than Drogba it only makes sense to compare them on their peak - also he was injured and barely played 4 seasons ago).

It doesn't take away that Torres has been under-performing though. But 23 last season isn't that bad. Maybe it'll progress. Who knows? I wouldn't bet on it myself, but truth is nobody really knows.

I somewhat agree with this. Since we lost the speed of our attacks, the strikers suffer massively. But if we play faster by crossing quickly or attempting more through balls and keeping high pressure the goal ratio for the strikers will increase massively

Some of you are sounding like the receiving half in an abusive relationship with this "he has changed".

If Jose couldn't get Kaka back to life, how on earth will he with Torres?

No one can get Kaka back to life. He has been a lost cause for years. At least Torres has shown signs of greatness. Kaka has not had a season like Torres had last year since he's been considered a bench player.

Torres will have a great year whether or not he is scoring a lot of goals. It's baffling how none of you notice that when Torres is on the pitch we open up more, and score more goals.

No one can get Kaka back to life. He has been a lost cause for years. At least Torres has shown signs of greatness. Kaka has not had a season like Torres had last year since he's been considered a bench player.

Torres will have a great year whether or not he is scoring a lot of goals. It's baffling how none of you notice that when Torres is on the pitch we open up more, and score more goals.

I have to agree, it's sad no one appreciates him when is he good. I think the will be great again. I know everyone was so happy for him against Bayern Munich, great goal. I know he can do it, just hope for the best :)

I know it's been done a thousand times - but I'm still convinced the way we play makes it harder for a striker to shine.

If Eto'o comes in and fails to play it will be because he's washed up blah blah

Lets face it - the only striker to ever really settle in our team was Drogba and even then he had some off games

I think Torres will get much more chances with Schurrle and Hazard / Willian on the wings...

Even when he's playing for Spain - the midfield piss around too much and he just drops deep - his best (and only) position is on the shoulder of the last defender - with balls slid in behind or across. Give Torres too much time to think, he fucks it, let his natural instincts take over and he scores...

More whipped in balls and more through balls is needed - along with a higher tempo and that's not just for Torres - that's for Lukaku, BA and Eto'o ...

Van Persie, Falcao or Benzema, they wouldn't do so great in this side!

We wouldn't even need a world class striker to make our side the best, all we need is someone who will help the side score more goals, not someone who is going to score the goals. Drogba was a team player, that's what we are going to need. Bayern arguably the best side in the world at the moment have Mandazukic upfront, he is far from world class, however he's a target man who just causes problems, they have Robben, Ribery and Muller to pitch in on the majority of goals.

That's why I'm very happy we didn't sign Falcao, that would have been a disaster.

Just get behind this man to do well this season, it is better than insulting him every minutes of your life. Insult will not make it better for him and for us, no points.

We have Torres - Eto'o - Ba this year, surely better than what we have last year (Torres - Sturridge), right?

Also Jose.

Cheers, people.

It's a World Cup year, Mourinho is our coach, pretty much 90% of the fan base has tuned on him some even despise him and Eto'o is right behind him breathing on his neck. He has no excuses not to perform.

He's lucky we weren't able to bring in Falcao, Rooney, Cavani this summer as well. This is his one last chance to redeem himself let's see if he rises up to the challenge.

Get yourself into goal scoring positions and be more selfish that's all we ask for,

Two things that are encouraging:

1. I've underestimated Torres' mental strength. I thought he would want to leave after sucking for so long.

2. Nothing Torres does disappoints me anymore because there's no expectation to begin with.

Even though Kaka was a bench player at Madrid, he still had his moments in regards to the goals scored and performances, just like Torres. Maybe the latter just had a little more of those moments but it's still never good enough. The signs are already evident that Torres is no longer the player he once was and can't get back to that very best. He may still show glimpses of the quality that we all used to see from Torres but it is very few and far between. 4 managers have come and gone and he still couldn't get anywhere near his old form. Even after we bought all these young attacking, quality talents, he still can't do it. Like they have been, some people are just simply still clutching at straws in thinking Torres will get anywhere near back to his best, especially just because Mourinho is our manager now.

I think it's baffling that they didn't bench Torres yet, just like the did with Kaka when he started sucking.

What do you guys consider to be his best preformance in a Chelsea shirt?

I'd say he was quality during the whole Europa run, no game in particular though.

His best performance was against United until the 'open goal miss'. He looked exactly like the Liverpool Torres that game until he misfired.