Fernando Torres

No matter what good he has done ( which has been mentioned many times in the past) will not make up for all the lack lusture performances over the last two and half seasons... but it can be said we in this forum have been pretty harsh on the man due to this, every goal he scores either brings "he's back" or the opposite "pub team" "the game was killed"... maybe because its torres that either side can't look at it objectively but he does need to go..

The Torres experiment did not work and we need to cut loses.. I still like Torres the person and even though he has been dismal for us I still like Torres the player so whether he is here or at another team I will always wish him the best

It's pretty apparent that he'll be here next season, though whether he's still first choice or not, we'll find out later on.

But if you accept that he'll be at Chelsea under Mourinho and he's looking like a better player lately, then that can only be good for Chelsea and surely you'd want him to be improving for the good of the club?

People aren't saying "Let's keep Torres, he's good now". People are generally saying that should he stay, which looks likely, things could look brighter for him next season as he has improved more each season he's been with us and it's unlikely he'll regress under Mourinho.

Maybe I missed a post which lead to all these "You still want Torres here?" comments currently being posted.

All I see is people saying he's improved, most of which is followed up with "I still think he should go", then people going "LOL YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS THINKING HE'S BACK" type posts. Is this going to be the new Mikel thread?

Spot on.

This all looks too familiar.

A great end to the season and good in cup competition just like last year.

It looks like we got the new malouda!

Play awesome one or two games and get lost for six.

But hey malouda had one awesome season, so maybe we will get lucky and also get one great season with torres. :-)

oh dear oh dear, half decent end to the season and Confed Cup and were debating whether to keep him :doh:

People say he has improved well lets be honest that isn't exactly hard considering his previous form is it? Every single season he has been with us he has suffered from horrendus goal droughts, i mean this is the player that went on a 17 game goal drought, scored a few goals then went on a 24 game goal drought. This season even he went what? 17 games with 1 goal against Brentford and this is under the manager that he supposedly "thrives" under.

4 manager's have tried with Torres, and it hasn't worked, we need to accept that we have signed a dud and move on, we did it with Sheva, Liverpool did it with Carroll and it's time we do the same with Torres, its widely accepted Essien is finished as a top class footballer but yet were harboring false hope over Torres?

Benitez told Torres to stop trying to do too much with the ball? Has Torres even do anything meaningful with the ball during the season?!

I think your missing the point! if you have watched Torres since joining Chelsea then you would have seen him pick up the ball outside the box turn maybe take on one player then try to take on another 2 or 3 defenders and end up getting tackled or running straight into a defender an falling on the floor. Torres has stopped doing that now and plays much simpler outside the box, he lays the ball off straight away now, which has made things easier for him and his team-mates.

How has Torres changed his game and improved himself?

i have already said, how he changed his game and improved, the Benfica goal was a prime example, of the work he done in the gym paying off he showed great strength and pace to score that goal, he never would have scored that under RDM he would have fell over from the contact or would have looked like he was running in quicksand

People aren't saying "Let's keep Torres, he's good now". People are generally saying that should he stay, which looks likely, things could look brighter for him next season as he has improved more each season he's been with us and it's unlikely he'll regress under Mourinho.

That is somewhat ironic of a post coming from someone who sometimes does that in other threads, like the Mikel one for example...

Anyway, I don't recall seeing a rule here on TC that we can't post reaction to latest beliefs or views of fans from beyond this forum. Surely, we are allowed to at least stimulate some debate or discussion in the forum, no?

Maybe I missed a post which lead to all these "You still want Torres here?" comments currently being posted.

All I see is people saying he's improved, most of which is followed up with "I still think he should go", then people going "LOL YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS THINKING HE'S BACK" type posts. Is this going to be the new Mikel thread?

Talk about over-interpretation into posts/replies or overreaction (bolded words above). Hardly any responses about this have been abusive in any way and people have posted their views in civilized manner.

I think your missing the point! if you have watched Torres since joining Chelsea then you would have seen him pick up the ball outside the box turn maybe take on one player then try to take on another 2 or 3 defenders and end up getting tackled or running straight into a defender an falling on the floor. Torres has stopped doing that now and plays much simpler outside the box, he lays the ball off straight away now, which has made things easier for him and his team-mates.

I see. So now we are in the business of praising a 29 year old striker that basically just improved on one minor aspect of his game...

Still doesn't mean he has been great with this perceived improvement.

i have already said, how he changed his game and improved, the Benfica goal was a prime example, of the work he done in the gym paying off he showed great strength and pace to score that goal, he never would have scored that under RDM he would have fell over from the contact or would have looked like he was running in quicksand

Yes, I agree that he showed good strength and composure to hold off to Benfica defenders to score that goal. I credited him for that previously but again, it's only 1 incident. Far too little to use it to backup your point here. Where was he when playing against Premier League defenders?

Of course Torres is different since Ba came to the club. It gave him much needed rest. Those who cant see this must be blind haters.

And funnily enough, even with that rest, he still has hardly been performing to the level that is required of him, apart from knocking 1-2 goals past 3rd or 4th tier level teams.

I see. So now we are in the business of praising a 29 year old striker that basically just improved on one minor aspect of his game. Still doesn't mean he has been great with this perceived improvement.

he hasn't improved 1 minor aspect, he has improved on alot of very important areas in his game, its a shame you haven't seen this. No one is saying he should be our 1st choice striker next season, but certainly he is a good option to come off the bench.

Yes, I agree that he showed good strength and composure to hold off to Benfica defenders to score that goal. I credited him for that but again, it's only 1 incident. Far too little to use it to backup your point here. Where was he when playing against Premier League defenders?

see this is the thing, there is no point continuing with this as you clearly haven't seen the improvement in his game, to me the improvement in his general play is so so clear, but obviously some people have failed to see it, I am not saying he is world class again, because he isnt, but i do think he is a good striker who is a threat to most teams. But for me i noticed his improved strength after around a month into the Rafa era, i noticed Torres not being knocked off the ball so easily and could see him trying to stay on his feet alot more, then there was the pace, i didnt think he was ever going to be quick enough any more to really hurt defences but i was surprised to see clear improvement in his sprint speed and acceleration and all of that what i was seeing in previous games came together perfectly in the EL final.

Then the improvement in his link up play, where he is playing much simpler now and taking one or two touches to lay the ball off to a team mate rather than trying to dribble past players himself and losing the ball, his movement has improved he started to make the right runs at the right time alot more often, he has generally looked alot sharper as well, if he improves yet again next season as he has done every season for us, lets be honest he hasnt been getting worse every season, he has been getting better, so if that improvement continues next season, we will have a very very good striker on our hands with another very very good striker in Lukaku, which to me is very promising.

he hasn't improved 1 minor aspect, he has improved on alot of very important areas in his game, its a shame you haven't seen this. No one is saying he should be our 1st choice striker next season, but certainly he is a good option to come off the bench.

see this is the thing, there is no point continuing with this as you clearly haven't seen the improvement in his game, to me the improvement in his general play is so so clear, but obviously some people have failed to see it, I am not saying he is world class again, because he isnt, but i do think he is a good striker who is a threat to most teams. But for me i noticed his improved strength after around a month into the Rafa era, i noticed Torres not being knocked off the ball so easily and could see him trying to stay on his feet alot more, then there was the pace, i didnt think he was ever going to be quick enough any more to really hurt defences but i was surprised to see clear improvement in his sprint speed and acceleration and all of that what i was seeing in previous games came together perfectly in the EL final.

Then the improvement in his link up play, where he is playing much simpler now and taking one or two touches to lay the ball off to a team mate rather than trying to dribble past players himself and losing the ball,

Don't get me wrong. I can see where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree with it BUT what I know here is those aspects he has improved on are not significant ones. It's just minor ones and at the level we are playing at, he should be improving much more than that especially after 2 1/2 years at the club, not just gradual and slow improvements. If he's 19 years old right now, then it's understandable but for that is simply not good enough for a 29 year old, not for us.

his movement has improved he started to make the right runs at the right time alot more often,

Maybe so but he's not moving about much to begin with. Too often he has been like a statue upfront causing our attacking players behind him to sometimes to play within themselves to try and create something attacking wise.

he has generally looked alot sharper as well, if he improves yet again next season as he has done every season for us, lets be honest he hasnt been getting worse every season, he has been getting better, so if that improvement continues next season, we will have a very very good striker on our hands with another very very good striker in Lukaku, which to me is very promising.

He may be improving everys season but it's too gradual and slow for a club like us and what we are looking to achieve. Moreover in his 2 full seasons here, he has started the season decent enough but then go AWOL in the middle of it before playing okay again towards the end. Not sure how that can be considered as improvement, if anything, because that's just not good enough. You talk about his improvements but have yet to see him apply it effectively against the better teams domestically. Only seem to be effective against lower level oppositions, judging by his games in the Europa League.

Simply put, is he good enough to be our main striker? Certainly not. So, if he leaves, I'll be happy to see the back of him and wish him good luck; if he stays, he has my full support.

Some people here just hate him on agenda, I did the same to Bosingwa, no shame to admit it.