Fernando Torres

Alright, Nando, so now you've got some serious competition and you won't be an automatic starter anymore, so one last chance to get in a good goalscoring form and manage to keep it through the season or get used to life on the bench.

as far as I am concerned Torres entered the Last Chance Saloon in August and fucking CHOKED ,,,,TORRES OUT

The hierarchy stuff is really overrated. It may have played a part in the fact no big name arrived last summer...

But if Sturridge left that's because of Di Matteo's awful management, not because of Roman or whoever.

At the end of the day Torres playing so much was rather a consequence of Di Matteo having fucked up the only other option left. Daily Fail pretended it was Roman's instruction. They also almost pretended Torres punched Holland, why nobody is trusting that?

Yes, the way the board fielded the team was wrong for a full season but in most clubs especially in England, managers are supposed to train what they are put at their disposal, not pick their players.

Di Matteo was sacked because of the way he handled the small squad he had at his disposal, he wasn't blamed for the squad being small.

Still I agree that Roman's alleged view to expect things from managers with a limited squad before giving them full confidence is a bit weird.

Although I somewhat agree with this, I don't think anything justifies him still being here after 2 years of utter shit except the owner having a man-crush on him.

Although I somewhat agree with this, I don't think anything justifies him still being here after 2 years of utter shit except the owner having a man-crush on him.

I think it is more because it is not easy to movr pkayer like torres heck even kaka is still with rm

Hang on just a sec, how the fuck do you know if any of that is true?, you're going mad at Abramovich and such and saying people are stupid, yet you don't know yourself.

It's really a stupid thing to comment on because we simply do not know what happens. Maybe the board wanted Di Matteo to play Torres over Sturridge to show Sturridge who is boss, though it could be unlogical as it was his last year on his contract, but lets face it you can't put it past our board.

No one knows what goes on in the background.

Agreed.

Torres publicly admitted just moments after the greatest night in Chelsea's history that he was promised a starting spot for next season by Abramovich himself. At the time, Robbie wasn't even our manager.This proves the way he runs a football club. I've said it before: Roman Abramovich should give that managerial job to Roman Abramovich.

The most scary thing about him is he genuinely believes and acts like he deserves to play.

To be honest i don't believe that at all, i bet he thinks he's not good enough. He probably has to lie to the media and himself to look like he's confident so he gets to play, but i bet deep down he knows the truth.

It's a shame really, but this transfer was a disaster from day one, since he has came there are only two goals i can thank him for, the goal against Arsenal because had he not of scored it we wouldn't of won, and the goal against Barca, which relieved so much pressure off us. But for 50 million that's all we get? and this has been like what almost two seasons exact he's been here now?.

I don't buy this stupid argument about him not scoring 'important' goals against big teams. People seem to think that just because Drogba's last three goals for the club were against Tottenham, Barcelona and Bayern Munich, that all of his goals were match-winners or scored against big clubs. The amount of times he scored the third or fourth goal in matches - against piss-poor opposition as well... and yet people are using this against Torres.

Considering how shit he has been, we should be happy he's even scoring at the minute.

I said we should get rid of Torres if he hadn't netted 10 by the start of January. He already has surpassed that and has the opportunity of extending it before the season concludes. 14 goals at this stage of the season is a very, very good return.

I wont even comment about what you said about Drogba. Just stuipid...

Regarding Torres: Half of his goals were against teams like Nordsjaelland, Aston Villa, Leeds and Southampton. Amazing guy really. You can also see his impact on the pitch. When he is on we look SO dangerious. His movement, his passing, the way he handles the oppositions defenders.

I wouldnt care if Torres scored 30 goals this season. He needs to fucking leave anyway.

If you're down and need some laughs go back to the first page, it's hilarious yet tragic at the same time...

LOL

We can't blame ourselves though, he is the biggest flop in football history!

Tragic yet hilarious (does make a difference).

Read this carefully, from Chelsea fans out there...

Unsafe at any Price: Why Fernando Torres is gone for good

Both of Chelsea's recognised strikers have less-than-savoury pasts, injury-wise, but one has, more or less, come through well, and the other very much hasn't. Demba Ba's patented trick knee is often described as a "ticking time bomb," but there's an even greater bomb lurking around the corner...

Or should I say was?

The bombs in Fernando Torres' knees have long since exploded, taking the Spaniard's pace and form with them. Knees and hamstrings have always been career-killers, but Torres' injuries have been particularly-devastating. The football world has by-and-large, been surprised by the sharp decline of Fernando Torres. They really shouldn't have been. All the signs were there. He was a catastrophe waiting to happen.

After rising to prominence with several solid seasons with boyhood club Atletico Madrid, Fernando Torres announced himself as a world-class talent with 33 goals in 46 appearances in his first season at Liverpool. Since then though, he's been in a steady decline and suffered a string of unfortunate knee and hamstring injuries. Despite this, he still managed another big-money move, this time to spend a while swimming in the seemingly-bottomless pockets of his new Russian uncle Roman. Most of us were, understandably, excited to see one of the world's most highly-regarded strikers joining one of the either giants of the game.We all know how that turned out...

If you can stand it, watch the first few minutes of this video. It's a video of all 81 of his Liverpool goals. The first few minutes are critical to understanding why Torres was living on borrowed time, career-wise. Obviously, all the scenarios lead to goals in that video, but since more detailed footage from five years ago is shockingly-hard to find, it'll have to do. The first thing which should have hit you is that his game involved more long shots and headers back then. That they've largely disappeared is definitely significant, but not the biggest reason his decline is most likely permanent.

Now you've noticed that, take another look at the video. Look at what he does with the ball at his feet. Compare that to what he does at Chelsea. They're kind of similar, right? The most obvious difference is that he was significantly faster five years ago. I'm sure plenty of you are asking why I have such a problem with him doing the things which made him successful. If you've read Graham's award-winning* piece on Demba Ba's goal against Southampton, you should be aware of what a proper centre forward should be doing. Torres isn't really doing that, even at his lifetime best. His primary danger comes from his ability to knock the ball past the defender and getting clear with a quick burst of pace.

[*Not true]

I think you can see just why Fernando Torres' downfall was always written in the stars, but in case you can't, let me explain. Fernando was dangerous because he could exploit any small opening with his pace, not because he was particularly adept at putting himself into the best positions and moving properly once he got there. Let's go back to the video. You know how I said his play at the beginning of his Liverpool career looked similar to his current Chelsea play? Go back and take a look at the goals in which his pace is central. Now imagine those situations if he lacked that pace. If you can't, just find a "Fernando Torres Chelsea Highlights" video. It's okay, I'll wait.

As we know, though, his pace didn't suddenly evaporate. After all, there a good ten minutes of the video left to watch. Now would be a good time to watch the rest of it. [On mute if you haven't muted it to this point.] We're about to meet middle-period Fernando Torres. You may notice he's not exactly slow at this point, but you should see a distinct thinning of the amount of pace-dependent goals. You should also see him standing still more and more, where his teammates can find him. The battle between dynamic and static is a major feature of middle-period Torres, and -- spoiler alert in case you haven't seen him play lately -- static wins in the end.

As you may have guessed, this is the period where he starts suffering his first major knee problems. It steals a yard of pace from him, which makes his usual method of relying on that pace unsurprisingly less-successful. When he does turn on the pace, instead of opening a clear gap between himself and the defender, he's barely ahead of them more often than not. The good news for him is that, despite finding less success with his dynamic play, his static play still pays off, likely due to the last vestiges of his explosive pace making tight marking dangerous. I think we could all live with middle-period Torres, really. It's still frustrating to watch him stand around, but his occasional bursts of pace keep defenders honest and give him space to operate. A series of minor injuries over those two years mean that, by the end of it, the shine is starting to come off a little.

Unfortunately, though, that's when the second round of major knee injuries hit. Whether it's due to structural problems or the recurrence of injuries forcing him to push the limit less often, yet another yard of pace has vanished into the Aether. This is the period covered by the last few minutes of the video. The period where he gets around defenders less and less often until he reaches a point where he simply has put pressure on in hopes of forcing an error to capitalise on. It's almost sad, really. When you compare the Torres you saw at the beginning to the one struggling at the end, you really have to wonder how we all convinced ourselves he wouldn't be a disaster. Of all the times when YouTube scouting would have helped, we mostly didn't use it. Go figure. : )

Though it really doesn't matter why he lost a second yard of pace, I believe that it's a bit of both physical and mental problems. His injury record suggests to me that either he's somehow licked the injury problems he had, or that he's not pushing as hard as he might in order to prevent injuring himself again. The effort explanation is the more logical on the face of it, but the last time I recall him really pushing himself to his limit, this happened. Incidentally, the look on his face as he realises that he's hurt himself again are kind of heartbreaking in hindsight, it's as if he knew the fight was over on a deep level.

In a way, it was. For me, that was the day the Fernando Torres of legend died, replaced by the Torres now resident at the Bridge. It's all so obvious when you look at it. He was never going to have a long career at the top without some sort of miracle scenario regarding injuries. Why didn't anybody see he was a humongous risk?There were too many flaws in his game. They were covered well at first, due to his pace and goals, but, eventually, when the pace evaporated, the goals went with it. That's where Chelsea came in, and that's why he scored just the one goal in his first half-season. Can you imagine being Fernando Torres in 2011? Aged 27, under the pressure of a £50m transfer to Chelsea, and your powers gone, laid low by injury?

It's not surprising, then, that he's since admitted to having some pretty dark thoughts about that time. Personally, I think he's to be commended, at least a little, for picking himself up and trying to reinvent his game at 27. Unfortunately, though, it's gone nearly as well as you'd expect. The habits of a lifetime die hard, and while he's had the occasional decent game, he too often retreats to the comfort of his old tricks. In a sense, there's a real chicken-egg situation about Torres' play as a proper No. 9. Is he bad because he neglected those skills in favour of pace as a kid, or did he neglect them because he was bad? Either way, it's a sad sight to see someone having fallen so far, even if he's still getting a fantastical amount of money despite his being rather bad.

Ultimately, the story of Fernando Torres will be a tragedy, given the trajectory of his football. Despite his vast haul of medals and a wage packet bursting at the seams, he'll always be considered one of the biggest transfer blunders in football history. It didn't have to be this way. We should have seen the signs, and Roman should have kept his wallet shut, but it's done. It's over. He's broken. He's never coming back. No matter how much we want him to. Let's not fight about it any more. There's more to life.

To be honest i don't believe that at all, i bet he thinks he's not good enough. He probably has to lie to the media and himself to look like he's confident so he gets to play, but i bet deep down he knows the truth.

It's a shame really, but this transfer was a disaster from day one, since he has came there are only two goals i can thank him for, the goal against Arsenal because had he not of scored it we wouldn't of won, and the goal against Barca, which relieved so much pressure off us. But for 50 million that's all we get? and this has been like what almost two seasons exact he's been here now?.

If he thinks he's not good enough why is he not doing something about it or trying too? Sheva was below par but the difference was he knew it and done everything in his power to change that, Torres on the other hand serves us a year and a half of dross then moans to the media that we didn't play him in the biggest game of our history ahead of a serial cup final winner.

If Torres accepted he was playing shit like Sheva did, accepted he had to earn his spot in the team and will fight whoever for it, then i would have had nothing but respect for him no matter how good he was for us. He may know deep down he is crap, but is certainly in denial about it hench his whinge about lack of playing tiem a mere day after Munich.

Have i forgot his didn't care comments? people go on about Rafa, Joe Cole and most recently Sturridge making sly digs at us, but atleast they done it when they weren't on our books.

Quite frankly his attitude stinks.

Deep down I feel sorry for Torres. He must think what would have been if he hasd just stayed at Liverpool. Even if his knees were career ending at least he would have left the game as a Legend. Now he will always be remembered by the largely critical population as the biggest flop in transfer history. We all moan and curse his current form because it's holding us back as a club when at the moment we should be top of the prem and still in the CL if we had a prolific goal scorer but nobody deserves the pressure and humiliation Fernando Torres is experiencing.

Chelsea develop tailor-made Torres training programme

CHELSEA have put Fernando Torres on a training programme designed to build up the striker’s strength and help him regain his devastating speed.

The 28-year-old Spanish striker was renowned for his electric pace and direct running while at former clubs Atletico Madrid and Liverpool.

A string of knee and hamstring injuries have plagued Torres after his club-record £50million move to the Blues two years ago and seen him lose that side to his game.

But Chelsea boss Rafa Benitez, who brought the forward to English football while at Anfield, insists the club is working hard on the training ground to address the problem.

Benitez has given many players in the squad specific instructions and he has set Torres the task of improving his strength in order to generate more power in his running.

He said: “The way the team was training, and when we arrived, there was too many games with the same players. It’s not easy, especially for strikers, and we saw these things and we’re trying to prove his [Torres’] strength a little bit.

“It’s a question of time. A lot of the players have a specific programme. You can see that he is a little bit quicker but the problem he had in the last games was [he had played] too many games. I could see the players were tired.

“He can manage it. From day one we have been trying to help him, so hopefully now with Demba [ba] it will be a hand for him. The main things with players is not what they say, it’s what they do on the pitch. Fernando is trying to improve and do things for the team.”

The arrival of Demba Ba from Newcastle provides more competition for Torres in the Chelsea attack.

However, boss Benitez feels the two strikers can work together when necessary to score goals for the Blues.

“I think they can play together,” he added.

“Both players are clever players and they have some good movement and they can adapt to each other. Don’t forget that Fernando was the captain of Atletico when he was 17 and he came here as a big signing.”

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-chelsea-fc/2013/01/09/chelsea-develop-tailor-made-torres-training-programme-82029-32569779/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz2HT2RyfaG