Fernando Torres

@headhunter23, I think Sh0n3x was referring to the fact he use to be able to make his own goals with a mix of blistering pace and putting defenders on their arse, there was a few situations today where i thought a bit more pace and he will be through on goal.

For example has he done to a defender playing for us what he did to Ben Haim on his Liverpool debut or what he did to Dawson on the last day of that same season?

@headhunter23, I think Sh0n3x was referring to the fact he use to be able to make his own goals with a mix of blistering pace and putting defenders on their arse, there was a few situations today where i thought a bit more pace and he will be through on goal.

For example has he done to a defender playing for us what he did to Ben Haim on his Liverpool debut or what he did to Dawson on the last day of that same season?

Citeh defenders are better than this.

He wont torres has VERY few goals outside the box in his liverpool career, torres is best when he gets the ball in the box or works with midfielders inside of the box, tevez has a lot more power to his game despite his size. These are the goals torres will score, he isnt necessarily a player like drogba who can chest a ball down from outside the box and smash it up the top right, as long as he puts the chances in the chances he gets with an eye for the spectacular at times I will be more than happy and he is taking stupid shots right now meaning his confidence is high.

Exactly.

goddamn, can all this shit just stop?

some damn girls on here just bitching...

el nino my dude, just keep fucking scoring, i dont give a shit...

it was the first game, just keep hustling out there...

back the guy, first game this year and he already scored.. he'll find rhythm

i couldnt give less of a shit about the shield...

big season for our #9...

we should close this thread, its so annoying, because if we won that game, the last 3 pages of this thread wouldnt even be there...

chelsea chelsea chelsea

torres was nice today, cool calm and collective. he just needs to think of some other tricks or moves to do when he sees a 200lb cb in his way, because those hits from kompany will soon lead to injuries down the line. thats just future advise, not criticizing just a mention for the season.

on the subject earlier on what to expect from 50mill, well that should give u 3 at the min 25goals campaigns. but lets just focus on here and now and the here and now looks really good.

He wont torres has VERY few goals outside the box in his liverpool career, torres is best when he gets the ball in the box or works with midfielders inside of the box, tevez has a lot more power to his game despite his size. These are the goals torres will score, he isnt necessarily a player like drogba who can chest a ball down from outside the box and smash it up the top right, as long as he puts the chances in the chances he gets with an eye for the spectacular at times I will be more than happy and he is taking stupid shots right now meaning his confidence is high.

I remember a few goals from outside of the box. 1st one against Inter Milan, which was fucking amazing. 2nd one against Middlesbrough, which was equally as good. 3rd one against Fulham/Blackburn from a ridiculous place. Anyway hes better at scoring goals from in the box anyway, where we want him, rather than sitting as a CAM, being a useless waste of spunk.

It's boring. Yesterday was the first game basically. He showed good pace, good close control, good hunger and he scored and all this was in a shit team performance with 10 men for 50 mins. Yet... he's still getting abused. If he carries on that level of performance, he'll have a good season.

It's boring. Yesterday was the first game basically. He showed good pace, good close control, good hunger and he scored and all this was in a shit team performance with 10 men for 50 mins. Yet... he's still getting abused. If he carries on that level of performance, he'll have a good season.

If he scores 30 goals, Torres haters will still find a way to Criticize him. They are lacking that part of their brain which allows for Praise towards that man.

I: When I first scheduled this interview, I expected to meet a massive football star, distant and hidden behind a big pair of headphones. But what I found was someone who was more worried about how to properly handle his brother’s twins’ double stroller than to take a good picture for the interview. I noticed how thin he is, how delicate, so delicate… he has an extremely childish face that one could think doesn’t suit him considering his recent struggles in the spotlight and the fact that he’s a father of two. I also found interesting the way his eyes shone every time he talked about his family, his grandfather, Atleti, and how he mentioned Juan Mata every few minutes, as if the other man were somehow part of his family too… He comes across as a man who’s too sensible and mature for his own good, who admires the substitutes on the bench the most, those who restlessly work even though they know they won’t play. He seems to have learned more of his recent, hard struggles than of the days were it was all covered with roses for him. Well-spoken, calm, he perfectly understands everything that goes on around him. He keeps his feet on the ground and looks ahead to the future with the temple of someone who’s fought too many hard battles.

I: do you really think this past season has been worth it? with so much struggles despite the trophies?

F: I would say that it has. I’ve been trough situations I’d never been trough before. a new manager came in and I was barely part of his plans, and it didn’t matter much what I did during trainings. I couldn’t do much more than that, train, but I wasn’t playing. People point their fingers at you, of course, whether you play or not, but I really didn’t know what to do. I found a lot of comfort in my teammates who were sharing the bench with me, the ones that don’t let anything get to them, the ones that never give up and always set an example. Paulo Ferreira, the substitute goalkeepers, the young players whose progression is at a halt because they can’t get playing time with the first team. I got a whole new perspective on things sitting on the last staircase.

I: but you’ve won almost everything…

F: last season wasn’t my season, it belonged to others. Chelsea won the FA cup, and while it was a great accomplishment, I didn’t play the semifinal or the final, so it was difficult for me to feel part of it all. I did feel somewhat more part of the CL win, but still it wasn’t… I guess I’d like to win another one and in a different way.

I: and yet, there was the national team.

F: that was my last goal, to be there. But during the months prior to the euros, I was left out of the call up once. Suddenly, as we were part of many competitions there was the need of rotation, I got more playing time and scored a few times and got called up for the euros. I felt like a small child. even I expected that the most normal thing would be me not getting called up, it almost felt like it happened out of nowhere.

I: and why did it happened, all those things you’re telling me about? Lack of luck? Lack of managers who fully trust you and play you where you’re at your best? What do you make of all of this?

F: I don’t know. I guess you could simply think “Well, maybe Chelsea isn’t the right team for me”. But that wouldn’t be right. If you’re a great player, you’ve got to find your place. I’m not the first player who’s ever been in this situation and I won’t be the last one. I think, ultimately, I haven’t found the way to make myself indispensable. I’m working on it. I’m obligated to make my teammates need me and I haven’t done that. When you’re at a club like this, what you’ve done or accomplished elsewhere is worth nothing.

I: is it true? What they say about chelsea’s dressing room?

F: what do they say?

I: that the senior players didn’t welcome you that well.

F: It’s not that they didn’t welcome me that well, it’s just that I was simply one more to add to the bunch. Chelsea is not a team or a club that particularly cares about the details… your gestures, the way you train, the way you behave… No, you arrive and you’re simply one more player. The only place you’re expected to stand out is the pitch. Most of them are already senior players, veterans, they’ve already done their part and they’re not expected to set anymore examples. If I were allowed to start all over again I’d probably do it in a different way.

I: how?

F: I tried to be exactly that, one more to add to the bunch, to adapt in any way I could. Now I know that from the first day, you have to think more about yourself and try to show to your teammates that you’re one of them, not just someone in the bunch. I was more worried about which was “supposed” to be my place that about earning another one.

I: why didn’t you play alongside Drogba more? Why couldn’t you or him play alongside another striker?

F: It’s all about formation and playing strategies, about the playing system. We’ve talked about it and neither of us can fully understand it. I think it was at Liverpool where I truly found my place on the pitch, because I played with only one man behind me. Chelsea doesn’t play like that, it’s all about crushing the rival with strength, with drive and counter attacking, but it’s not so much about spaces.

I: and all this with all the fans by your side

F: They’ve helped me so much, so so much. And honestly, sometimes I don’t understand why. I’m a foreigner, a foreigner who’s played well at another English club at that, and going by the typical Spanish mentality, the first people who’d have turned against me would’ve been them, the fans. Turns out I wasn’t meeting any of the expectations they had for me whatsoever, but they were there for me, they supported me. This people are different. Sometimes I thought to myself “I’ll just stay here on the bench, be quiet and make no noise, I don’t even want to play”, but then they asked me to play, they wanted me out there. They’ve lifted my spirits so many times, sometimes more than my own teammates did. Whatever I do from now on here, it’ll be for them. That’s why I want another CL. I want to win it for the fans.

I: lets talk about the euros. Did you wake up some of those days wanting to be born again as a false nine?

F: (smiles) No. We’d played that way a couple of times against England and in some friendlies, but we hadn’t planned it that way for the euros. It was a surprise. I guess that Vicente talked to cesc in private and decided that that would be the right way to face our oponents. And it worked really well. If you play quick and with pace, there’ll always be people behind you to supply you with balls. I don’t want to be seen as an opportunist, but it worked quite well.

I: do you feel you have enough support from Del Bosque? I’m asking you this because of the comments he made after the match against france, about some of the substitutes’ expressions when they didn’t play, and because of his constant comments about the players having to “earn” their call ups.

F: I have the choice to either judge Vicente, the rest of the players or myself. At the beginning, when he first became the manager of the national team, he often spoke to me and I felt like I had a place in the team. Until I got injured. And still, sometimes I’ve been called up when I haven’t deserved it as much as other players who weren’t called up. I’ve deserved not to be called up, no doubt about it. There have also been times where I’ve deserved it of course, but if I wasn’t there that one time it was because I didn’t ear it. Currently I see myself strong enough to earn it again, the place I had then. If I manage to reach that level again and still don’t get playing time, it’ll be a different story, but right now I could never blame Vicente for any of his decisions.

I: aren’t you tired of people constantly arguing about whether if you deserve to be on the team or not?

F: It’s a part of my life, it’s always been that way, since I played for Atleti. I can’t fight something I can’t control. When you start as a professional football player, you know nothing about the way football works, or about the things that surround football, and you might fall into the trap of caring about what people say about you. But I’m so isolated. I know some things of course, but I try to remain blissfully ignorant about most of it. Although I guess if I try to imagine some of the stuff people say about me. I would get most things right.

I: speaking of critics… the celebrations of the team after the euro win weren’t everybody’s cup of tea…

F: Spain is the country where everyone criticizes everyone over anything. I would like to know how many people who were walking on the streets of Madrid that day didn’t have a beer or two. I spoke to Xabi Alonso about it, about this win not being as… special as the first one, because the Viena win was just really special. And it seemed like people think so too. They judge us more now, now that we have kids and we’re almost like a family.

I: some people were really expecting you to parade around atleti flags like last time..

F: no one gave me anything to parade around! During the previous two occasions, I hadn’t brought flags with me, people gave them to me during the parade. Someone always came up to me with some flags. I hadn’t had that problem before. I don’t hide where I come from or what team I support, and if I’d known that no one would give me anything to hold I would’ve taken some flags to the parade myself, I really would have. During the upcoming supercup match in Monaco, I’ll have to look at Atleti in a different way, but really, I don’t know why no one came up to me during the celebrations. I guess they gave it all to Juanfran.

I: do you see a bit of yourself in Llorente right no? because of all he’s going trough? He’s about to leave the place he’s been in all his life.

F: I don’t know much about his situation. I was lucky enough that the Atleti fans stuck with me through thick and thin, even when I left. They saw beyond me as a player and they understood me as a human being.

I: Did you have time to watch La Rojita in the Olympics? How can you explain what happened to them?

F: That’s just how football is sometimes, and it will be something that someday will happen to the senior team. The Olympic team, in general terms, is formed by a group of players who right now rely more of their physical qualities than on their actual football qualities. In a lesser extent, it happened to brazil too in London. The players we’ve now won the euros and the world cup didn’t even qualify for the Olympic games years ago. They’re still young, their time will come.

I: so you see yourself as a senior player now?

F: I have to talke care of myself more now

I: He mentions Juan Mata every few minutes, as if the other man were somehow part of his family too. He lost his grandfather, Claudio Torres, a few weeks ago, the grandfather that made him an Atleti fan before he even knew what football was. Fernando says that he’s still has some trophies to win, and that the Monaco trophy is one of them. And to do that Chelsea will have to beat Atletico. “I guess that your family comes before your team, but in my grandfather’s case I’m not really sure about it. to be honest, I don’t think he’d even watch the game, if he were here now. He wouldn’t have even listened to in on the radio. He would’ve gone to sleep as early as possible without not to hear the score until the next day.

I: This year he was given twenty days of vacations with his family, but he wouldn’t exactly call them a vacation thanks to Leo and Nora, the girl with the piggy tails that stole the spotlight from him during the celebrations in Kiev. “She’s been speaking like a little parrot since the moment she turned one year old. Now she goes to a school in London and she doesn’t have any problems at all with the languages. And what she doesn’t know, she’s more than happy to make it up”.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/irrmbm

A bit too honest?

I don't agree. Very good interview, you often hear about how Torres isn't the typical footballer. He comes across as articulate, considerate and honest, generally a good guy, it's no wonder do many want him to succeed.