Fernando Torres

The game could give Torres a chance to break a yearlong scoring drought with the national team.

His last goals for Spain came on Sept. 3 last year when he scored a double in a 4-0 win over Liechtenstein in the opening Euro 2012 qualifier.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2011/10/06/torres-hopes-to-play-for-spain-against-czechs/#ixzz1a1NoKzUj

Shit like this ticks me off. Yearlong drought? Do you know how many games he's started for Spain since last September?

One.

One start in a friendly against Italy where he left after 14 minutes because of injury. He scored in an official friendly against the US as a sub so it's not even true that he hasn't scored in a year. The longest time he's been on the pitch for Spain since the WC has been 57 minutes which is the game where he scored a brace.

Torres even in his very best form was patchy for Spain. He could do the job generally but not dominate or shine like Villa. In the last year with his struggles, he looks so out of step with Spain. Yes, partly due to form but it really just shows how incompatible Torres is with Spain's possession game. The man is just not made for that game and as a Torres fan it's frustrating to watch. It also angers me when people just say 'aw, he's shit'. No, he's shit for that type of game. He is what he is and he's a striker who needs space and is perfect for counter-attacking football. When it comes to football he's so un-Spanish it's unreal.

Basically he's been part of the Spanish team because coaches considered him a big enough talent to carry as a Plan B. At this time, I'm not sure if Del Bosque is going to continue to do this. It looks like he's giving Torres every opportunity to regain some form for Spain but I wonder if soon DB will say "basta" and move on with other CFs. Judging by the comments on Marca and AS, it seems most of the public have had enough.

If Torres returns to form, it'll be with Chelsea, where finally the game is suiting him more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg4ShfkAwdQ&feature=player_embedded

Can anyone who speaks spanish translate what he said about the miss at OT?

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of this translation but it's the only one I could find.

Fernando: since we started this pre-season I feel very good, more secure of myself, more than anything and with Mata I think everything got better. We were lucky to bring him to Chelsea and he has shown what he’s worth in the games and what he can be for Chelsea in the future.

(when they show the clip of the miss against ManU) Yeah, those situations you maybe only have once in your life, but yeah its inexplicable and they have to happen once in your life and we hope that’s it. During this week we were looking at things that were similar and we saw that Cristiano Ronaldo missed one almost identical, so that made me feel better.

the new atleti

I think it’s exciting. That the fans should be excited for the new players who had everything in their clubs and came to atleti.. I think that Atleti is starting to look like a club you want to go to. And just like every new team, they’ve had their ups and downs but they will be able to compete against Real Madrid and Barca, maybe in a couple of years.

Falcao

He surprised those who didn’t know him and I’m not surprised he’s doing it, I think he’s a very good player. And the Atletis are very lucky to have him.

Would you return to Atleti?

I’ve said it a lot of times, I would never go to retire in Atletico Madrid. I would go back if I had the will to go and do what I wasn’t able to do during my first time there. I have five years with Chelsea, I’ll be 32 then and I hope to finish them there. And in my plan is not to go back.

(when they show the clip of the miss against ManU) Yeah, those situations you maybe only have once in your life, but yeah its inexplicable and they have to happen once in your life and we hope that’s it. During this week we were looking at things that were similar and we saw that Cristiano Ronaldo missed one almost identical, so that made me feel better.

Thank you :)

Spain boss Vicente del Bosque is set to stick with Fernando Torres for Tuesday night's Euro 2012 qualifier against Scotland in Alicante.

He told reporters at a press conference: "He is doing well for his club. A player cannot be constantly judged, we have to look at it from a broader perspective."

"We must be fair because he has a lot of competition but Torres has a history and a presence.''

Why is the English media reporting Torres is going to start tonight? DB just said he was happy with Torres but never said anything about keeping him in the starting lineup. I expect Llorente to get his turn tonight. He scored the winning goal in Hampden Park last year.

Why is the English media reporting Torres is going to start tonight? DB just said he was happy with Torres but never said anything about keeping him in the starting lineup. I expect Llorente to get his turn tonight. He scored the winning goal in Hampden Park last year.

2 reasons:

1. To make you crazy and keep you hitting the F5 button on your keyboard until it's confirmed.

2. If he doesn't start then the media can immediately forget their earlier articles and say loudly and proudly "Torres Benched".

2 reasons:

1. To make you crazy and keep you hitting the F5 button on your keyboard until it's confirmed.

2. If he doesn't start then the media can immediately forget their earlier articles and say loudly and proudly "Torres Benched".

Hmmm...you and I share the same tinfoil hats?

Watching the Boston Red Sox post-season antics and John Henry and the Sox ownership are pieces of work.

After the Red Sox blew a 9 game lead beginning in September and didn't make the playoffs, changes were going to happen. Terry Francona, the manager, resigned, said maybe the team needed a different leadership voice, took responsibility as the manager, etc. Tried to take the high road.

Today's Boston Globe newspaper (which has always had an "in" with Sox insiders) has an article which blasts Francona's leadership, talks about possible job distractions (marital problems, dependency on pain killers (knee surgeries), etc. As Nomar Garciaparra said, why bring this out? Why not let Francona, a two time World Series winner, leave with some dignity?

Looking at Torres departure from Liverpool and now this, it seems NESV philosphy is if you're not with us, you're against us, and then it's a scorched earth approach. Torres and his advisors probably had no idea what they were up against. It will make his return to form (and I believe that is/will happen) that much sweeter.

As Nomar Garciaparra said, why bring this out? Why not let Francona, a two time World Series winner, leave with some dignity?

Nomar would talk as he was the first to get trashed as NESN/FSG got rid of him when they acquired the Red Sox. Good old humanitarian disguised as hedge fund owner, John Henry and his partners have a very recognizable pattern of smearing anyone who leaves. It was very easy to recognize the character assassination campaign against Torres the minute his transfer request was put up LFC's site. Really, it's a pity for LFC fans as they loved Torres and he gave them some great moments. Sure they have every right to be disappointed and angry but they fell for the Torres hate campaign way, way too hard. And many of them are still carrying on the hate.

Some tried to trash Torres after he left Atletico too. But most Atletico fans aren't as gullible as the scousers and they still support him. See the difference, 'best fans in the world?'

Wonder how Henry is going to trash Dalglish when he will need to be "retired"? It'll take a very deft touch but I have no doubt something will be done.