Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Fernando Torres

BlueLion.
Followers 2

I still find incredible to blame Torres for his struggles considering the awful offensive animation behind him, he's the last link of the chain, no matter if there's nothing behind him he'll be guilty.

Surprisingly when he had Anelka, Mata or Benayoun behind him giving him through balls he scored.

And considering he ended the season with 11 goals and 16 assists whereas performing most of the season without support and rather creating chances for others I still think he deserves credit for that.

http://www.eplindex....-analysis.html#

Torres shot 46 times this season, you must admit he shall have the ball to shoot. His chance conversion is far from being ridiculous with 13%. If you compare the amount of Clear Cut Chances (CCC, when the player is in in 1vs1 with the GK and expected to score) he received, just 11, he still has a 36% of conversion

Penaltys are considered as CCC so it explains the good percentage of the players taking them (RVP, Rooney, Dempsey, Yakubu, Adebuywhore, Lampard...). It's interesting to look at CCC conversion ratio for players who don't take penaltys such as Steven Fletcher who has rather terrific finishing stats

Although there were large parts of the season where he was getting incredibly poor service and not scoring as a result of that. That still doesn't cover up for the fact that Torres himself did deserve some blame, not to the scale he received but definitely some. You can look as early as the WC to prove that, he had some of the best service available; but still couldn't score or even look close to scoring (he may have been recovering from an injury, but thats no excuse imo, recovering from injuries is part of being a professional footballer). The latter end of the season further highlights that he was his own enemy at times, the players didn't change from Jan' to the end of the season. But he started performing well and scoring goals, he gained confidence (RDM definitely deserves credit here) and looked a little more like the player we'd last seen in 09-10.

Torres is a flop...we must go for falcao , cavani ,higuain....we cn rely on him nxt season..wat dd he do when drogba was at african cup of nation? Nthng he is a flop 50mil..

Not going to happen. Abramovich clearly wants him to be the No.1 and signing the likes of Falcao will definitely prevent that from happening. I like Falcao a lot as a player and imo he's the best striker in the world right now. But we can't turn into Man City and just buy players irrationally. We have Torres, thats not exactly a bad thing; I can guarantee you most fans would love to have him in their team (even now). Not to mention the fact the we have some great talents like Sturridge & Lukaku. So I don't think we should go for Falcao at this stage, anyhow the futures bright!

• Like 1
  • Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can proudly confirm I made some personal attempt to get him out of Chelsea. Went to the Wolfsburg game in Constance today and tried to convince them to buy Torres. tried everything from screaming to

In the 90s Blackburn was the first club to win the Premiership after a serious money injection. They called it "winning with a credit card". Credit cards are made out of plastic therefore Blackburn fa

Being shit on purpose to deflect criticism from his teammates and manager ... Because he's the hero Chelsea deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Bec

Posted Images

I can't access the Javi Martinez thread in the Transfer section so I'll put this here:

http://www.sportyou.es/blog/futbol/2012/06/05/javi-martinez-yo-era-del-atletico-por-torres-415042.html

“Por Torres, yo era del At. Madrid. Luego se fue al Liverpool y me hice del Liverpool. Y ahora soy un poco del Chelsea“.

Mata came partly because of Torres. Martinez is a Torres fanboy! Get on this Roman! I don't want to see Martinez at City.

• Like 2

Torres has to be properly identified to be judged, like many other players.

You evoke the World Cup, you aren't trying to question Torres' inability to find his place in a team playing possession football that high on the pitch aren't you ? He likes to call the ball behind the defenders. The problem was double: he completely lacked rythm because he managed to come back from a knee injury in 3 months and was judged ready by the medical staff something like 10 days before the list unveiled by Del Bosque. If you add that the problem he always had with the Spain National Team of his playing style not suited to the game plan and the result is this completely missed World Cup.

If we summarize Torres' season:

Assigned physical and fitness coach in July, growing slowly to perform very well at the end of the pre-season (game vs Rangers)

Good start of the season, not necessarly a lot of service (only when Mata or Anelka in a central support position) but he did leave his upfront position to touch the ball.

Then when things got wrong he was benched by Villas Boas something line 15 consecutive games for Drogba, who, to be honest, was faaar from performing during that period

When he regained his place at the Boxing Day, his performances were excellent in the play but still no goals. He played in a kind of attacking midfielder role and created chances and chances for his team mates.

I've an immense respect for what Di Matteo was as a player and his whole contribution to Chelsea FC. But we definitely cannot give him limitless credit for what he managed to change. He just came back to an intended game plan in what it means in terms of mutual covering, team balance (Mikel's role), space between players and lines, free kicks strategy and a system everybody wanted because it was the one we were informally using (Mata leaving his wing and playing as a CAM).

Then it became evident that the offensive animation was planned and effective, with the results on Torres quickly scoring goals. SOme seem to tend to think there's something of a voodoo influence on him whereas the mathematical process showed several times since Torres is a Chelsea player that when he has support and deliveries which he's suited*, then he scores.

I don't trust the whole anti-AVB campaign or revolt from the players as I don't think Di Matteo is a genuine master in terms of communication and giving confidence to his squad. He's not a manager who speaks a lot. The individual meetings with the players when he took charge did have an impact, we cannot deny it. But it's like when someone new comes, every player like to hear what is expected from him. I mean there's nothing extraordinary in that process

*:

-> We already knew it, I mean when you buy a player, he can expect you to put him in the proper conditions to shine. No matter of how much he cost, it's the basic process in evry football team.

-> Though Torres had not have those proper deliveries, he enlarged his palette to become a support striker and playing like he did never do at Liverpool. He has something like 7 or 8 assists in 3 years at Liverpool, he has 20 in 1 and a half season

Agree, the main problem with Torres though was his confidence. It affected important factors of his game. As a striker he should be mobile and try not to drop deep into flanks. A few games where he was even the lone striker he had the tendancy to drop deep. His service was terrible though so I can understand that aspect, and when your low on confidence it doesn't help. But recently, and the last two games in Spain you could see the confidence in his play. I'm hoping he has a good tournament, he has the service in Spain and coming back to Chelsea he may have it here too.

• Like 1

Mata came partly because of Torres. Martinez is a Torres fanboy! Get on this Roman! I don't want to see Martinez at City.

Don't think City are really interested in him. There are strongers links linking him to United it seems, and those fellas on Redcafe have somewhat jumped the gun that he will be joining them.

I think many can't understand Torres isn't Superman. Some seems to forget the monumental difference between Drogba and Torres in terms of playing style and mentality. Both don't need the same service. Both don't have the same weight on the offensive animation: Drogba polarizes and preformat it around him, can do a lot with a little service. Torres can't.

To me, this is what makes a top striker. Someone who can do a lot with not much service, who can create on their own. If your game is predicated on being given incredible service...well, there are tons of players who can score when that happens.

Going to be sink or swim time last season.

Ive always supported Torres like i support any Chelsea player but i have criticized him at points (there's a difference between supporting players and making numerous excuses for him). I supported Bosingwa when he was with us but i still thought he was bad.

Come on Nando, prove me wrong and get back to your best with us.

I can't access the Javi Martinez thread in the Transfer section so I'll put this here:

http://www.sportyou....res-415042.html

Yeah I posted this before.

Would be awesome if we get him because of the connection he feels towards the player.

But I don't think he is an option right now.

After Hulk, and a RB, we are more likely to go for another midfielder.

Would be awesome to get Modric....but after spending big on Hazard and Hulk, I doubt the club will spend much bigger for Modric.

I agree that next season is the pivotal one in Fernando's Chelsea career. Drogba is gone so he is now the undisputed first choice striker, he will have the world class talents of Mata, Hazard and (hopefully) Hulk supplying him, there cant be any more excuses, the whole thing is being set up to get the absolute best out of him.

How will he do? I think he will succeed. I think those expecting the Torres of his early Liverpool days will be left disappointed, I dont think he can actually play that way anymore simply because he doesn't have the pace he did but I think he can adapt his game. He still has got pace, it's just not as blistering as it was, his movement is excellent, his overall game actually looks better now than it did at Liverpool, his touch and ability to bring others into play have been impressive. All he needs now are the goals, I think he will get them and go on to prove himself to be worthy of the main striker spot at Chelsea.

• Like 1

I agree that next season is the pivotal one in Fernando's Chelsea career. Drogba is gone so he is now the undisputed first choice striker, he will have the world class talents of Mata, Hazard and (hopefully) Hulk supplying him, there cant be any more excuses, the whole thing is being set up to get the absolute best out of him.

How will he do? I think he will succeed. I think those expecting the Torres of his early Liverpool days will be left disappointed, I dont think he can actually play that way anymore simply because he doesn't have the pace he did but I think he can adapt his game. He still has got pace, it's just not as blistering as it was, his movement is excellent, his overall game actually looks better now than it did at Liverpool, his touch and ability to bring others into play have been impressive. All he needs now are the goals, I think he will get them and go on to prove himself to be worthy of the main striker spot at Chelsea.

At Liverpool he had Alonso as well.

The one person even attempting that role right now is Lampard....

Which is why a Modric type of player would be awesome to change it up with Lampard, since at his age is getting harder and harder to play every game.

Which is why a Modric type of player would be awesome to change it up with Lampard, since at his age is getting harder and harder to play every game.

Why not try to mould McEachran into a deep-lying playmaker? That's about the only position he can play in a 4-2-3-1 formation & he's got the passing range, vision, football IQ to succeed...

Why not try to mould McEachran into a deep-lying playmaker? That's about the only position he can play in a 4-2-3-1 formation & he's got the passing range, vision, football IQ to succeed...

Could be, but he ain't ready for the team. Might take another 3 seasons, of loan and such.

nando will be just fine next year with service from Hazard and (Hulk), Mata... and not only that RDM SHOULD have a full summer to plan this out... AVB was just plain shit and ruined our squad.. with that being said, lets just (kinda) forget last season...

All that matters from last season:

1. Winning CL

2. Winning FA Cup

3. N/A

come on Nando, we still have faith, it wont even be a problem to...

Ye a deep lying playmaker would be nice but even if we don't get one, they didn't have the likes of Mata, Hazard and Hulk at Luverpool, that's fair compensation for the lack of an Alonso I'd say.

Luis Aragonés: "I would start Torres"

Luis Aragonés remembered what happened four years ago in Austria and Switzerland during an interview on the program 'El Partido de las 12' on 'Cadena Cope' (a private radio station in Spain). The former coach is very clear who would be his number 9.

Q. What striker would you use against Italy?

A. Right now I would choose Torres for that game, and for almost all the games, because he has the most to offer: First because he's arrived fresh; and, second, because with the idea of him not being included in the squad he’s arrived incredibly hungry just now.

Q. Do you think that the absences of Villa and Puyol could harm Spain’s chances?

A. Yes, without a doubt. They are two players, one in attack and one in defence, who stand out. But there are people who can replace them. They have been two very important players. Especially Villa, since he was the team's top scorer for both competitions. Puyol is important, not just for what he does on the pitch, but also off the pitch with the group.

Q. Do you believe Spain will win the European Cup?

It's difficult. Spain has shown it is favourite. The squad is the best and the one that plays the best football. But then, every other team wants to beat you. Even with this being the case I have a lot of confidence in Spain. I know most of the players and I know how they think. You shouldn't underestimate your rivals. The first game, for example, is against Italy which plays with four stars on its shirt.

• Like 1