Fernando Torres

I don't cry often about football (Terry in Moscow and Champions League semi final second leg against Barca being the exceptions) but I was bloody close today when Torres missed it. He doesn't deserve it, he doesn't deserve the media hate campaign against him, he doesn't deserve the dissension he causes among Chelsea fans, he doesn't deserve the rotten luck. Today we saw Fernando Torres, not the broken down and battered Torres, not the disiniterested Torres that has a tendancy to shrug his shoulders, not the ineffective to the point of invisible Torres, no, today we saw Fernando Torres, Euro 2008 hero, one of the truly great talents in world football, one of the finest strikers to have graced European football in the last decade. Everything he did exuded class, the little lay offs, the neat 1-2's, the breathtaking off the ball movement and the most sublime of finishes, finally Fernando Torres took the mantle as Chelsea's great player.

But heartbreakingly all we will hear about is the miss. Realistically at 3-1 with around 10 minutes to go it was improbably that we would have scored an equaliser anyway but that wont matter to the media, it will be Torres who lost us the game, not 2 poor decision from the linesman and not some shoddy defending for the 3rd, no all of that will be disregarded because Torres missed, there will be scarce mention of his goal or his superb run to set up Ramires (which imo was a bigger miss at 1-0 in the first half) no, as usual it will be Fernando Torres who has caused the downfall of Chelsea.

I hope today's performance (miss aside) will bring confidence back to his game, imo he was our best player by a long way. The key now will be his reaction in the next game, if he plays with the same attitude and carries a bit of confidence out of this with him then maybe it will all have been worth it, if we as a team can keep playing in that manner then it will only help Torres.

Exactly same. Torres was so sharp throughout the game but one bad miss and now media can continue slagging him. I feel so sorry for him, because he was one of our best players today. Just hope he can forget the miss. Fortunately he has an opportunity to score a few against Swansea next week at Stamford Bridge. I do believe in him. Cmon Torres!

For a moment there i was like can he still do that when he ghosted past De Gea but i guess he is full of surprises !

He created a great scoring opportunity for ramires and his link up play was amazing , he scored an El-nino class goal and he should ve had a brace ... i will only wait for a very good striker to lead the chelsea line from now on and that man will be Fernando Torres because he is finally back to his best .

I say the boys give him some stick at the next training session, laugh about it and move on. That's all you can do is laugh.

In a space of a week, he was dropped by Spain and benched for Sunderland. He responded in his last two starts, with 2 assists on Tuesday and a goal today and it could have been three.

If AVB continues to have confidence in him, Torres will be fine.

And had two complete games.

I say the boys give him some stick at the next training session, laugh about it and move on. That's all you can do is laugh.

And had two complete games.

Yeah, I was fearing the worst that he would be taken off at HT. Thankfully AVB made a gem of a decision with Anelka on for Lampard. I think the Lukaku sub was wrong though. I know we needed scoring but perhaps some more help to retain the ball and keep pinning United in their own half would have been more helpful. As it was they had just as many chances and misses to go up to 4 or 5 themselves.

But Torres, unless, he's absolutely crap, should play late into games. He's just one of those players who can be quiet for awhile and then be brilliant a few minutes later.

But Torres, unless, he's absolutely crap, should play late into games. He's just one of those players who can be quiet for awhile and then be brilliant a few minutes later.

He can be brilliant one minute and then sh*t a few seconds later but I still love him. A friend said another reason he's getting better beside the quicker play and through balls (Anelka, Ramires) is his hair is getting lighter. Whatever it takes.

Edited by Tortilla9

I think there are moments when human emotion transcends football and any decent bloke out there would feel sorry for Nando today. He was nigh on excellent for 90 mins and we saw what a difference he can and will make at this club. He's getting there, be sure of it.

now Im convinced Lampard shouldnt start until he recovers hi old form...and Mikel is needed in front of the back 4.

there is still a place for Anelka even if it is coming off the bench .. Torres HAS arrived ,,,,

things look much better than they did 2 weeks ago

I like Mata a lot but last couple of games he's looked tired at the end which makes sense considering his movement. Welcome to the pace of the PL today.

Thought Meireles didn't have a great game. Not awful, not great.

Ramires is the energizer bunny out there. He and Torres need to say after and have a finishing session or two.

Was surprised to see Anelka come on for Frank at half. Anelka has good movement and an eye for the final ball. Good job Anelka and AVB for making the decision.

Defense is a little off kilter at the moment.

The scoreline looks bad and the media will focus on Torres' miss. I'm choosing to focus on the improvement and speed of play the team has shown since week 1 and AVB's willingness to make changes to the squad.

I posted in the wrong thread. Should be in the match thread.

Edited by Tortilla9

I really liked the 4-4-2 that we played in the second half and i think we should play that vs Fulham on wedneysday with Lukaku and Torres upfront! :blue scalf:

If we forget about the Torres miss, This was his by far best performance in the Chelsea Shirt! :cfc:

Edited by NiclasCFC

I really liked the 4-4-2 that we played in the second half and i think we should play that vs Fulham on wedneysday with Lukaku and Torres upfront! :blue scalf:

If we forget about the Torres miss, This was his by far best performance in the Chelsea Shirt! :cfc:

To be honest Lukaku was bad, I love the guy, but THIS PERFORMANCE was not good enough.

Edited by St Abramovich