Fernando Torres

So he should come deep because the midfield can't make one decent pass in a game? Don't think so. Like Blue Heart said, Torres is like that, we knew it when we got him. Give him a decent ball and he'll be knocking them away more often than not.

Time we questioned the (lack of) creative qualities and fantasy in our midfield and not make him a scapegoat.

Torres is his most successful playing on the shoulder of the last defender waiting for the final pass, moving to find space, timing his run, and going to goal. He has never been what one would label a workhorse on the field. As Madmax, Blue Heart, and I've said ad nauseaum, he is like that.

I get annoyed when Torres doesn't show good and clever movement up top but I don't want to see him going out and deep to receive the ball or get into the buildup of the play (speaking generally of course). He used to do that with Atletico and Benetiz saw that his true talent wasn't being maximized because he was wasted all over the field when he could kill it in front of goal. One huge factor in why he became so deadly in the PL.

I think he can deliver a sweet pass every now and then, but you're wasting Torres if you've got him too far from goal. Rooney is a support striker at the end of the day while Torres is a tip of spear guy, you can't really compare the two. They're both very good if you use ways that take in consideration their strengths and weaknesses. The problem this season is that Torres was playing in every way possible to show his weaknesses...every player has them. Go ask David Villa to play the target man for Newcastle, he would look awful too.

Wrong system AND his poor form (yes, he's responsible too) made him look really, really bad. If he had been playing in the right system (say Dalglish' Liverpool), Torres probably would have been alright. Not claiming he would have been great, but he would be competent enough to be pretty productive.

More than anything from Saturday's ass-kicking of the US, I'm glad that after he missed a great opportunity from Alonso's great ball (hesitated too long), he came back and finished off another opportunity. That was a huge + for me. I want to be cautiously optimistic about the future but the unknowns (manager, creative player, players in/out) leave me still wondering what the hell is going on with Chelsea and what will it look like next season.

In a nutshell. The most expensive striker in premier league's history requires a creative midfielder/winger in order to flourish or even produce a satisfactory output?

Was the absence of creativity in the team also responsible for his abysmal ball control, finesse and lack of confidence?

I hate Liverpool!

Liverpool's mistakes w/Torres

"If he (Suarez) then believes it's all about him then I believe we could have a situation we saw with Torres. When you empower players too much to believe its all about them as I believe happened to Fernando Torres you could see what happened to him his last year (at Anfield)". - John Barnes

I am so sick of their revisionist bullsh*t. When Fernando was scoring goals faster than any other Liverpool player they were happy it was all about him. Whenever Fernando was hurt the owners couldn't pressure Rafa enough to get him back out on the pitch even if he wasn't fit and they wonder why over time injuries caught up to him. Fernando was a money machine for Liverpool via shirts and other LFC merchandise. When the owners didn't get a backup striker (and not N'gog) they continued to rely on Fernando and Gerrard to carry the offensive load, healthy or not. Fernando told them repeatedly they needed to get better and they needed to be more competitive. Fernando and Reina were one of the few players to publicly speak and say H&G needed to go. Fernando wanted to leave last summer but agreed to stay to help facilitate the sale because even dumbass H&G knew he was valuable to the bottom line.

Yet the stupid ass Liverpool kool-aid drinking morons will continue to spin their hate in the Liverpool loving media and tell a headline reading public that Torres did nothing for them and was an ungrateful selfish bastard.

I'm a little hostile today. My daughter was diagnosed with her second torn ACL and reading stupid crap like this just pisses me off even more.

I'm so glad I know normal Liverpool fans. Even they're not stupid enough to say things like Suarez or Carroll is better than Torres.. In fact he said,

Torres in a Liverpool legend. He gave us everything & you can't just replace someone like that in one go. Suarez is a good little playmaker, he's nowhere near Torres' level for us though, but he's still a very good played. Carroll was overpriced, worse than Torres, but what could we do? It was deadline day and we couldn't go into Feb-May with an unhappy striker, so we had to sign someone desperately. He'll be a good striker because of Dalglish, but not better than Torres right now at all.

A very loyal fan this guy, goes Anfield almost every month & knows his football. It's a shame he doesn't represent the general Liverpool fans population :doh:

I'm so glad I know normal Liverpool fans. Even they're not stupid enough to say things like Suarez or Carroll is better than Torres.. In fact he said,

Torres in a Liverpool legend. He gave us everything & you can't just replace someone like that in one go. Suarez is a good little playmaker, he's nowhere near Torres' level for us though, but he's still a very good played. Carroll was overpriced, worse than Torres, but what could we do? It was deadline day and we couldn't go into Feb-May with an unhappy striker, so we had to sign someone desperately. He'll be a good striker because of Dalglish, but not better than Torres right now at all.

A very loyal fan this guy, goes Anfield almost every month & knows his football. It's a shame he doesn't represent the general Liverpool fans population :doh:

LFC as a club claim they're over him but don't seem able to leave the subject alone until they've completely destroyed his reputation as a decent man and good professional. As soon as the negative media attention dies down they set out to revive it ... often using one of their chorus of tame 'legends' as a mouth piece.

LFC as a club claim they're over him but don't seem able to leave the subject alone until they've completely destroyed his reputation as a decent man and good professional. As soon as the negative media attention dies down they set out to revive it ... often using one of their chorus of tame 'legends' as a mouth piece.

Good post, says it all. No one is saying he's perfect but he seems pretty solid and the ridiculous campaign by his former club to smear him is laughable. But I guess the adage that if you throw enough crap against the wall, some of it will stick is cherished by many LFC folks.

Funny how fantastic a human being he was when he was at Liverpool.

Not on TV here, so I'm following Marca's text. Apparently Vega, the GK, is awful? He's responsible for 2 of the goals?

I'm kinda don't want Nando to come on because I don't want to deal with a crap stream!