The Hobbit

TacticalBlues

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate the radagast scenes. sure he isn't a major character, but the portrayal is lame.

as for the silmarillion. i doubt they could, make a film out of it. too many disconnected parts. no characters the younger audience would like ect. could do "children of hurin", but would still be hard.

i hate the radagast scenes. sure he isn't a major character, but the portrayal is lame.

Really? I love the character. He's quite quirky and witty. Add something different to the story, even if he's just a minor character.

as for the silmarillion. i doubt they could, make a film out of it. too many disconnected parts. no characters the younger audience would like ect. could do "children of hurin", but would still be hard.

It depends. There's a whole lot of areas to explore with the story on Middle Earth and think audiences can connect with the characters (can always be tweaked a little). If anything though, all the names of characters, places or things related to them may be a tad complicated to remember. I recalled after reading the first page of Silmarillion, I was like :blink::wacko: ! :lol:

Perhaps I already know the answer but do you mind expanding on your point there?

If we really want to elaborate, we should include the LOTR movie trilogy as well...Chris Tolkien didn't like how they commercialized JRR's work, or how they even adapted the book into movie form ..(in his opinion the book was not really adaptable in the first place)..

Its not too difficult to extrapolate what he thinks of the Hobbit..LOTR was at least great visual spectacle and epic film-making... while the Hobbit series is not quite there...

The Silmarillion on the other hand is more personal to Tolkien than LOTR or the Hobbit..heck, he even imagined himself to be one of the characters from the book...There's no way anyone will get movie rights to that one anytime soon..

Personally, I loved the LOTR movies and enjoy watching the new ones..but you can't deny there has been rampant commercialization of the franchise of late...(I remember one incident when the film company tried to sue some pub in England named after one in the books, simply because of naming rights issues...even their actors like Fry protested against that action)

• 1 month later...

A bit of wee came out when I saw Thrain.

It makes perfect sense. The way the film series has portrayed the character, he went mental and he was later imprisoned at Dol Guldor and no-one ever saw or heard from him again. To see him there is a bit of a weird one but it's justifiable, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

The Hobbit is a good movie, but as its been mentioned from a lot of people it does not come close to what LOTR was. I was expecting a little bit more. I feel the hobbit lacks in detail in comparison to LOTR. For me the two things that stand out in lord of the rings are the details and the music. The music is fucking insane. I don't think the hobbit has the same quality in these two areas.

By the way, Christopher Lee said Saruman gets a lot of screen time in the battle of the five armies. Fucking great. Always a pleasure to see the legend back in action.

And lastly want to say for me the best thing about the hobbit is Martin Freeman. Brilliant actor, one of the best.

The Hobbit is a good movie, but as its been mentioned from a lot of people it does not come close to what LOTR was. I was expecting a little bit more. I feel the hobbit lacks in detail in comparison to LOTR. For me the two things that stand out in lord of the rings are the details and the music. The music is fucking insane. I don't think the hobbit has the same quality in these two areas.

By the way, Christopher Lee said Saruman gets a lot of screen time in the battle of the five armies. Fucking great. Always a pleasure to see the legend back in action.

And lastly want to say for me the best thing about the hobbit is Martin Freeman. Brilliant actor, one of the best.

This. He is amazing. Have you seen the TV show Fargo? He is amazing in that.