The Hobbit

TacticalBlues

Looks great.

Just got the Extended Edition of the first film a few days ago. Always liked the extended cuts of the LotR films and I've heard this one is good too but I haven't watched it yet, will probably wait another month and watch it a few days before going to see The Desolation of Smaug.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have watched the 2nd movie and...

P.S. Movie spoilers below (sort of). Read at your own risk.

An impressive movie overall. Elevated to a high level by the awesomeness of Smaug. I also like how they expand on the story of Dol Guldur and Necromancer (aka Sauron). However having read the book, I was disappointed by a number of things. They sped up the movie at the beginning in order to give lots of air time to Smaug (which is not exactly a bad thing) but just frustrated that they cut off; Beorn's meeting with Gandalf and introducing the dwarves bit by bit to the former, the dwarves encountering the elves 'partying' when they entered Mirkwood and the riddle part between Bilbo and Smaug.

They didn't include all things in the movie and just either cut those part short by filming it differently or totally just removed it. Ugh! Would have probably given a 9 or 9.5 out of 10 otherwise but because those things weren't in, only rate it 8/10. Other than that, I can't bloody wait for the 3rd movie (especially this 2nd one ended with a cliff hanger!). The only downside is it's 1 year away from now!

Have watched the 2nd movie and...

P.S. Movie spoilers below (sort of). Read at your own risk.

An impressive movie overall. Elevated to a high level by the awesomeness of Smaug. I also like how they expand on the story of Dol Guldur and Necromancer (aka Sauron). However having read the book, I was disappointed by a number of things. They sped up the movie at the beginning in order to give lots of air time to Smaug (which is not exactly a bad thing) but just frustrated that they cut off; Beorn's meeting with Gandalf and introducing the dwarves bit by bit to the former, the dwarves encountering the elves 'partying' when they entered Mirkwood and the riddle part between Bilbo and Smaug.

They didn't include all things in the movie and just either cut those part short by filming it differently or totally just removed it. Ugh! Would have probably given a 9 or 9.5 out of 10 otherwise but because those things weren't in, only rate it 8/10. Other than that, I can't bloody wait for the 3rd movie (especially this 2nd one ended with a cliff hanger!). The only downside is it's 1 year away from now!

Well there is a book that has all of the info on the books. I read it like 40 years ago ;) just saying

Personally found this disappointing....felt like too much padding with overlong action scenes and not much story. Think the new trilogy has lost sight of what made LOTR so great and has strayed too much from what Tolkien intended. Feels like a derivative action film starring Tolkien characters. Almost wished GDT stayed on to direct the two film version.

Personally found this disappointing....felt like too much padding with overlong action scenes and not much story. Think the new trilogy has lost sight of what made LOTR so great and has strayed too much from what Tolkien intended. Feels like a derivative action film starring Tolkien characters. Almost wished GDT stayed on to direct the two film version.

Have you read any of the books?

Just got back from the movie.

Pretty impressed! really liked it.

Man the visuals.. saw it 3D, I was just blown away by the fantasy world that they created, all the action like the scene with the river and the barrels.. how the hell do they do that kind of stuff?

Absolutely magnificent.

I am one of those who read TLOTR long before I read The Hobbit - the transition from fantasy epic to grating children's story was an annoyance to me. I'm glad that Jackson has taken so many creative liberties, because to create an absolute transition from book to screen would result in a tedious, action-free and dialogue-heavy children's film that would offer nothing in terms of style or substance.

This is an improvement on An Unexpected Journey and almost, almost as good as any of the original trilogy. The return of Legolas was fantastic - Stephen Fry and Lee Pace were magnificent as Master of Esgaroth and Thranduil, respectively. And it was nice to see a little more of some of the other Dwarves, especially Kili, with his love-triangle sub-plot. Overall great fun, great action, great characterisation. Great film.

89/100.

My Jacksonverse Ratings:

The Fellowship of the Ring - 92

The Two Towers - 96

The Return of the King - 93

An Unexpected Journey - 84

The Desolation of Smaug - 89

Have you read any of the books?

Yup, admittedly read the Hobbit waaay back when I was kid. LOTR I pick up every now and then. The Silmarillion as well (now that would be awesome film!).

TDOS just feels like countless action scenes linked together by the flimsiest of plots. In terms of action though, the film was great, especially the river chase. The Smaug scenes were cool, but felt bit overlong to me.

It did seem to end suddenly.All the build up then bam Ed starts singing lol.Was a bit eeeeeh.

Aidan Turner is pretty!!!The love triangle seemed out of place

Sad that theres one film to go then thats it completely.Did feel dragged out in places but overall a pretty good film.Everywhere looked pretty!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...