The Hobbit

TacticalBlues

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Him jumping on the cave troll's chain and running along it to jump on the beast in The Fellowship of the Ring; followed by surfboarding on a shield down some steps at Helm's Deep in The Two Towers; followed by jumping on the back of a giant Mumak in The Return of the King, killing it's entire crew and then killing the beast by firing three arrows into its neck was enough, I feel.

I don't think I was ever as mad at a movie scene like that one. So fucking unnecessary.

Feel like the entire third film was unnecessary last hour was rushed.

Agreed :ph34r:

I don't think I was ever as mad at a movie scene like that one. So fucking unnecessary.

:lol: What was your reaction to him bringing down a giant elephant in the third one then?!

Agreed :ph34r:

:lol: What was your reaction to him bringing down a giant elephant in the third one then?!

Ha! As the third was made, I feel they could of made it longer, it just felt rushed at the end when I'd rather see probably another hour if they are stretching it to three films anyways.

Sidenote, Martin Freeman was brilliant in each film.

Ha! As the third was made, I feel they could of made it longer, it just felt rushed at the end when I'd rather see probably another hour if they are stretching it to three films anyways.

Sidenote, Martin Freeman was brilliant in each film.

Totally agree, I think I made that point elsewhere in this thread, that because the other two films got such slack for being too long, they tried to make this one shorter and in the end the thing the entire series was building up was a massive big anti-climax.

I hope the extended edition rescues it because as a standalone trilogy these are still three good films (well, one very good film (An Unexpected Journey), one good but very drawn out film (The Desolation of Smuag), and one okay but clearly rushed film (Battle of the Five Armies)).

Totally agree, I think I made that point elsewhere in this thread, that because the other two films got such slack for being too long, they tried to make this one shorter and in the end the thing the entire series was building up was a massive big anti-climax.

I hope the extended edition rescues it because as a standalone trilogy these are still three good films (well, one very good film (An Unexpected Journey), one good but very drawn out film (The Desolation of Smuag), and one okay but clearly rushed film (Battle of the Five Armies)).

Exactly, banking on the extended edition and hoping Jackson has thought "Right perhaps non LOTR fans might not want a longer version but the LOTR nuts will get theirs in the extended"

Meh, can hope. As a whole I'd rate the trilogy at a strong 7/8 without seeing the blu-ray bits yet.

Exactly, banking on the extended edition and hoping Jackson has thought "Right perhaps non LOTR fans might not want a longer version but the LOTR nuts will get theirs in the extended"

Meh, can hope. As a whole I'd rate the trilogy at a strong 7/8 without seeing the blu-ray bits yet.

Yeah totally agree.

My ratings change quite frequently admittedly but I posted these ratings immediately after I saw the third Hobbit film and I would agree with them:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 8.5/10
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 8/10
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 7/10
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 9.5/10
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 9/10
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 10/10
The Hobbit series is probably a 7.5/10 or 8/10 series. The Lord of the Rings is easily a 9.5/10 series, pushing close to perfection. The Return of the King is the best film ever made IMO, without exception.

I was okay with that one actually. The Pelennor battle was just too epic as a whole that Legolas could do any harm to that. But that snowboarding scene... I'm still pissed :lol:

I was okay with that one actually. The Pelennor battle was just too epic as a whole that Legolas could do any harm to that. But that snowboarding scene... I'm still pissed :lol:

Too many Legolas moments though, when Aragorn was the greatest warrior of his age?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the extended scenes in The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.

God. Why did Peter Jackson cut that out?! :rant:

it took up time, reserved for romantic fan fiction

but really , they didn't come to blows in the book , and jackson already messed it up enough. I wouldn't have enjoyed seeing that in the cinema

I'll admit that it perhaps didn't suit the pacing of the movie but I don't see how that's supposed to be for romantic fan fiction. It would at least help to illustrate the animosity between the dwarves and elves beyond words and show how Thorin, Dwalin, Kili and Fili got the rams when they went to fight with Azog. When you watch the movie, you feel it's somewhat incomplete. It feels much more of a complete product with the extended edition since it covers some of the obvious plotholes.

but really , they didn't come to blows in the book , and jackson already messed it up enough. I wouldn't have enjoyed seeing that in the cinema

If he had followed closely to the book, it would have been dull. I generally don't mind changes being made as long as they are handled correctly and there was plenty of Tolkien materials to get bits and pieces from.

I agree. Something not quite right about this. A more suitable conclusion would have been for the Dwarves to charge, and before they come to blows with the Elves, for the armies of Azog to appear.

Only 13 extra minutes as well. The ROTK extended edition had an extra 48 minutes. Even The Desolation of Smaug had an extra 25. Not sure how they're going to rescue this one with 13 minutes added, unless they show Beorn, Beorn, and more Beorn - who was, after all, the deciding factor in the battle. A funeral for Thorin and his nephews wouldn't be amiss, either. Biggest film let-down ever, for me.

I agree. Something not quite right about this. A more suitable conclusion would have been for the Dwarves to charge, and before they come to blows with the Elves, for the armies of Azog to appear.

Only 13 extra minutes as well. The ROTK extended edition had an extra 48 minutes. Even The Desolation of Smaug had an extra 25. Not sure how they're going to rescue this one with 13 minutes added, unless they show Beorn, Beorn, and more Beorn - who was, after all, the deciding factor in the battle. A funeral for Thorin and his nephews wouldn't be amiss, either. Biggest film let-down ever, for me.

yeah , you are right. beorn and the eagles was glossed over, but they have time to add in, made up worms and legolas acrobatics.

I'll admit that it perhaps didn't suit the pacing of the movie but I don't see how that's supposed to be for romantic fan fiction. It would at least help to illustrate the animosity between the dwarves and elves beyond words and show how Thorin, Dwalin, Kili and Fili got the rams when they went to fight with Azog. When you watch the movie, you feel it's somewhat incomplete. It feels much more of a complete product with the extended edition since it covers some of the obvious plotholes.

If he had followed closely to the book, it would have been dull. I generally don't mind changes being made as long as they are handled correctly and there was plenty of Tolkien materials to get bits and pieces from.

well , he didn't have to limit himself to the text , but i felt he was hiding behind technology, and failing to emphasize the important moments.