Charly Musonda Jr.

Peppi85

15 hours ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

Already have a positive impact for Betis.

I look at Charly and I think he may overtake Boga in my ranking. They're clearly in league of their own in terms of ability and talent. But Charly has top mentality. He is so consistent, he doesn't have a game when he is invisible or nothing comes for him, no, he always gives at least correct impact. Which is unusual even for wonderkids that consistency. Plus work rate, wow, he has amazing work rate for offensive player and for his age.

He is complete package in terms of talent and maturity.

It's all opinion of course but...

If both are at maximum level I pick Jed. Twenty minutes of full on Boga destroys teams but it hardly ever happens. Charlay is more balanced because he has a better passing game and is equally comfortable in the deep laying play maker role. In fact based on what I've seen, that may be his best position. The top two performances I've seen from Charlay came when he played the Modric position. The two games were many months apart mind so it does not seem he's being considered seriously for that role.

Both players have talent but they have to learn effectiveness. Neither has scored sufficiently highly in that regard during development games. Indeed there was a time when that lack of effectiveness led to Charlay being regularly selected on the bench or being subbed off if he did start. I would not say that he is the complete package. Not yet anyway.

On 08/02/2016 at 0:32 AM, DaddysHobby said:

Absolutely fantastic. He was brilliant. The dribbling from 5:28 is just insane :clap:

I assumed because it was his first game, he would have started on the bench and be brought on but the fact that the manager started him straight away and played the full game shows how much of an impact and impression he has made in training and the game itself. Looking forward to Betis game next Saturday against Deportivo already.

Hope he can maintain a good form and consistently start for Betis. If we couldn't sign the world class quality players during the summer, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to give the chance to players like Musonda, Christensen, RLC, Pasalic, Kennedy, etc. 

Our best talent. Roman should use the money for the academy elsewhere if Loftus Cheek and especially him don't make it here. This kid has the mentality and is an absolute gem for a guy who just played his first professional game.

Firstly, thanks to @DaddysHobby for finding and posting this video.

There are some nice things here although none of them occur in the first 4 minutes of the video. Yes, those 240 seconds contain some evidence of Charlay's silky skills but that's something we know about him already. We also know that such skills do not, in themselves, make you a player. I didn't notice how much game time it covered but that opening section of the video contained nothing that was both productive and above average. It is, I think reasonable to put that down to a young man making his first-class debut but it's a mistake to then ignore it and say that the performance was fantastic. It would be a more sober judgement to say that Charlay did well, for a debut. To go beyond that is, in my opinion, pure honeymoon syndrome.

As I said, there are some impressive things here, particularly the run at about 5:28 which @Stats described. The flick leading to the goal however is not special in my view. Most players in that situation would try it and most times most of them, including Charlay, would not get it exactly right. Charlay did get it right and he deserves credit for it but Oscar pulls off things like that more often than most yet none of us would say he's a good player because of it.

I know this post reads fairly negatively but I don't think it does Charlay any favours to allow him to think that what he did yesterday is all he needs to do.

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Firstly, thanks to @DaddysHobby for finding and posting this video.

There are some nice things here although none of them occur in the first 4 minutes of the video. Yes, those 240 seconds contain some evidence of Charlay's silky skills but that's something we know about him already. We also know that such skills do not, in themselves, make you a player. I didn't notice how much game time it covered but that opening section of the video contained nothing that was both productive and above average. It is, I think reasonable to put that down to a young man making his first-class debut but it's a mistake to then ignore it and say that the performance was fantastic. It would be a more sober judgement to say that Charlay did well, for a debut. To go beyond that is, in my opinion, pure honeymoon syndrome.

As I said, there are some impressive things here, particularly the run at about 5:28 which @Stats described. The flick leading to the goal however is not special in my view. Most players in that situation would try it and most times most of them, including Charlay, would not get it exactly right. Charlay did get it right and he deserves credit for it but Oscar pulls off things like that more often than most yet none of us would say he's a good player because of it.

I know this post reads fairly negatively but I don't think it does Charlay any favours to allow him to think that what he did yesterday is all he needs to do.

Yep, the game till about 35 minute was really boring, nothing was happening, both team couldn't string 3 passes.

1 hour ago, Kieran. said:

Musonda >>>> Boga

His mentality alone puts him above Boga. He is always willing to take on his marker at any point in the match, either in possession or counter-attacking. 

That's the type of wingers we need in our team on both flanks to take our attacking play to the next level.  Ribery and Robben combo...... 

Seems like he needed a full 30 minutes to adapt to the La Liga level, got bullied quite a bit in that period, but by the second half his rushes could only be stopped by fouling him, eventually getting someone sent off. 

Looking at the poor quality of players Betis has, he'll probably start most games and get a year and a half of experience playing some of the world's best teams. He made a very smart move. 

Really happy Charly could finally show his talent on senior level! 

Creds also to the Betis Manager for dropping him in for the whole 90mins in his first game!

The video showed he was really hungry to show the world what he's capable off. Some really great dribbles, 2 yellow cards for his direct opponent and a lot of freekicks won in dangerous areas! BUT also shows Charly is only 19 and is still has a lot to learn. Bad choices of few times, overdribbled himself and poor decision taking a shot from long range when he could have passed it to the side.

This only shows why he's out on loan => to learn and to gain experience! Even with this mistakes... the Betis crowd still loved him, praised him and will push him forward in his progression! Imagine he would play at the bridge in the same way. Some would say he played really well... others would think he brings nothing to the team and loses the ball far too often. It's not unthinkable he might even got booed at times if this happened at the Bridge!

So I think it's a really good thing he's out on loan, where he can slowly progress to a real star player instead of a kidstar!! Only thing we should ask ourselves... why didn't this happen last season :rant:

Musonda didn't really get bullied. He's just playing on a poor team that couldn't string passes together hence why I compared them to a Championship team. They only had 1 win at home all season before yesterday. He didn't get a chance to showcase his ability because he simply couldn't get the ball.

Anyone downplaying his dribbling ability and being dismissive of that performance isn't being very smart. First thing you look at for players like Charly making the leap is if their technical ability can translate at the senior level especially for someone of his build. Any average young player can score a goal or make an assist. The key is seeing just how good his first touch, flair, intelligence, close control, dribbling and ball retention skills can be against first team opposition, & if he has the fearlessness to attempt them. The likes of Messi, Neymar, Hazard (not comparing him to them yet obviously) all had that early on, it's the mark of a special player. That's what I'm looking forward to seeing the most over these next couple of months.

All in all it was a very good professional debut especially considering he was playing out a position

26 minutes ago, Atholy said:

Really happy Charly could finally show his talent on senior level! 

Creds also to the Betis Manager for dropping him in for the whole 90mins in his first game!

The video showed he was really hungry to show the world what he's capable off. Some really great dribbles, 2 yellow cards for his direct opponent and a lot of freekicks won in dangerous areas! BUT also shows Charly is only 19 and is still has a lot to learn. Bad choices of few times, overdribbled himself and poor decision taking a shot from long range when he could have passed it to the side.

This only shows why he's out on loan => to learn and to gain experience! Even with this mistakes... the Betis crowd still loved him, praised him and will push him forward in his progression! Imagine he would play at the bridge in the same way. Some would say he played really well... others would think he brings nothing to the team and loses the ball far too often. It's not unthinkable he might even got booed at times if this happened at the Bridge!

So I think it's a really good thing he's out on loan, where he can slowly progress to a real star player instead of a kidstar!! Only thing we should ask ourselves... why didn't this happen last season :rant:

Because of Mourinho. 

Being saying it for a while, even when Mourinho was first appointed. I want a coach that takes more gamble on youth. Instead we went for Mourinho. 

Now we got Hiddink.....if we do the same shenanigans this summer we will never have a coach that gambles on youth. The two coaches I know that definitely takes chances are Bielsa and Pochetino. 

29 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

I would love to see something like this next season for a couple of games:

Costa

Boga - Hazard - Musonda

RLC - x

Baba - Christensen - Zouma - Azpi

Courtois

Fixed 2 positions, of course its pure dream, even I wouldnt believe in such a lineup :)