Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Financial Fair Play

TacticalBlues
Followers 2

Good point.

But to me what keeps standing out is this:

However, it's important to note that had Chelsea not sold David Luiz, Juan Mata, Kevin De Bruyne and Jeffrey Bruma, Chelsea would've taken a £47m loss. The club earned £65m in profit from player sales (which is not included in the £319m in turnover, by the way), and for what it's worth, the underlying numbers make that loss look quite a bit less scary, especially through the lens of FFP accounting and UEFA's break-even calculation.

This why it baffles me that people think we can afford Messi....if we didn't sell those players we would barely make it with FFP.

And this completely justifies our loan system.

Buy a player - loan them out - sell for profit - meet FFP criteria.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good point.

But to me what keeps standing out is this:

However, it's important to note that had Chelsea not sold David Luiz, Juan Mata, Kevin De Bruyne and Jeffrey Bruma, Chelsea would've taken a £47m loss. The club earned £65m in profit from player sales (which is not included in the £319m in turnover, by the way), and for what it's worth, the underlying numbers make that loss look quite a bit less scary, especially through the lens of FFP accounting and UEFA's break-even calculation.

This why it baffles me that people think we can afford Messi....if we didn't sell those players we would barely make it with FFP.

Or even Falcao for that matter.

And this completely justifies our loan system.

Buy a player - loan them out - sell for profit - meet FFP criteria.

Yeah but that assumes we are successful every year.

Now it's a good thing to have to push up our numbers, but here is when Commercial and stadium are costing us.

Thankfully to the new sponsorship you have told us about it should help us a bit more.

Looking at these numbers makes our transfer policy of 2014 even more phenomenal.

We got what we need, improving our squad massively and making a profit of 18m in the process. A profit that was necessary to comply with FFP, but still we sold players for a very good price (probably more than they were worth) and got players who are all a succes and whose value is increased. I'm not exaggerating when I say it is the most remarkable piece of transfer business I've ever seen by a topclub. I mean by this; getting what you need, selling what you want and for the price you want and this all with the knowledge that you had to sell.

And because of this profit complying with FFP will be considerably easier for the coming years. The loss of 2012/2013 'counts' for the last time this season. While in 2015/2016 (starting per 1 July 2015) and 2016/2017 we can spend more because of the profit this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming Schurrle's £20m initial fee is true, we have now raked in more than £150m in transfer fees ... in just 3 windows since 01/01/14!!!

Mata £37m, De Bruyne £17m, Luiz £50m, Lukaku £28m, Ba £5m, Schurrle £20m. 3 of those 6 deals are worth more than our previous record transfer income (Robben £24m). Bear in mind these all were either unwanted or wantaway at the time. We've essentially bought ourselves the best part of a new spine (Matic, Cesc, DC) by selling our fringe players.

Phenomenal business by the club.

Assuming Schurrle's £20m initial fee is true, we have now raked in more than £150m in transfer fees ... in just 3 windows since 01/01/14!!!

Mata £37m, De Bruyne £17m, Luiz £50m, Lukaku £28m, Ba £5m, Schurrle £20m. 3 of those 6 deals are worth more than our previous record transfer income (Robben £24m). Bear in mind these all were either unwanted or wantaway at the time. We've essentially bought ourselves the best part of a new spine (Matic, Cesc, DC) by selling our fringe players.

Phenomenal business by the club.

unfortunately, luiz's transfer fee is "just" 37mil pounds.

Since we're now operating on the 'Buy 1 Sell 1' policy because of the FFP rules, wonder who'll be sacrificed next to improve the squad further...

dont think we will go for any "big money" strikers or AMs.

what jose expects to do in defence, only he knows.

but in CM position if we go all out for pogba, i can see oscar being sold and cesc given the no.10 role. if not oscar then definitely willian and a lot of other fringe players to make up the numbers (mikel, mvg,romeu,kakauta, marin etc etc).

dont think we will go for any "big money" strikers or AMs.

what jose expects to do in defence, only he knows.

but in CM position if we go all out for pogba, i can see oscar being sold and cesc given the no.10 role. if not oscar then definitely willian and a lot of other fringe players to make up the numbers (mikel, mvg,romeu,kakauta, marin etc etc).

That may be true but in terms of squad numbers, it's a slightly different issue. Mourinho, after all, doesn't like having a big squad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the light of this Yokohama deal, on which I'm still shaking my head, there's more to that. People forget but there's new TV deal in Europe which kicks in from 2015/16. UEFA sells rights separately to each country and gosh, England again pay exorbitant money.

2012-2015 deal from Sky was worth ~400m£, the 2015-2018 deal from BT is worth ~900m£. That's 125% growth. Missieur Platini said that club's can expect on average about 30% growth but clubs from England can expect 50% or even more.

Add to that we're expecting to finish 1st in domestic league so it will be the biggest slice of the cake for Chelsea.

Overall from Yokohama deal plus new Champions League money (enhanced TV rights + finishing 1st instead of 3rd) Chelsea will receive like 40m£ more next season comparing with this season. Well, annual costs of Hazard+Diego Costa+Cuadrado are around that amount.

Duncan Castles wrote that Chelsea seek training-kit sponsor and also work on "possibly others". I read somewhere that there's a talk about selling stadium name or at least training ground name.

Thorgan Hazard, Petr Cech, Mikel, Moses, Remy, Marin, Romeu, Piazon possibly leave and from my estimation about their fees, wages that they free and remaining book values it will give Chelsea +50m£ with fight against FFP.

Oh, and Premier League give Chelsea over 50m£ but that's from 2016/17.

All in all, there's heck load of money to spend. I hope that Jose will be the one who picks the players to arrive.

In the light of this Yokohama deal, on which I'm still shaking my head, there's more to that. People forget but there's new TV deal in Europe which kicks in from 2015/16. UEFA sells rights separately to each country and gosh, England again pay exorbitant money.

2012-2015 deal from Sky was worth ~400m£, the 2015-2018 deal from BT is worth ~900m£. That's 125% growth. Missieur Platini said that club's can expect on average about 30% growth but clubs from England can expect 50% or even more.

Add to that we're expecting to finish 1st in domestic league so it will be the biggest slice of the cake for Chelsea.

Overall from Yokohama deal plus new Champions League money (enhanced TV rights + finishing 1st instead of 3rd) Chelsea will receive like 40m£ more next season comparing with this season. Well, annual costs of Hazard+Diego Costa+Cuadrado are around that amount.

Duncan Castles wrote that Chelsea seek training-kit sponsor and also work on "possibly others". I read somewhere that there's a talk about selling stadium name or at least training ground name.

Thorgan Hazard, Petr Cech, Mikel, Moses, Remy, Marin, Romeu, Piazon possibly leave and from my estimation about their fees, wages that they free and remaining book values it will give Chelsea +50m£ with fight against FFP.

Oh, and Premier League give Chelsea over 50m£ but that's from 2016/17.

All in all, there's heck load of money to spend. I hope that Jose will be the one who picks the players to arrive.

Indeed

I'm glad you spelled out the way UEFA has adjusted the distribution of Champions' League TV money. Ever since the BT deal was announced I've been really unhappy about the way they are going to be handing a bigger share of the English contract to non-English clubs. Not because they don't have the right to do it but because it's English football fans that will be paying for it. For example, I'm pretty sure that, once their coverage begins, BT will announce that their sports channels are no longer free with my broadband.

Anyway, the part of the Yokohama launch video that most caught my attention is where Bruce Buck talked about further sponsorship arrangements that were in the pipeline. The question will now become how the club should use the elbow room all this extra revenue will give them under FFP. The answer of course is simple. They should read the Transfer Talk section of this forum and sign every player recommended there. :) :)