César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

I'll come off sounding "stupid" and "ignorant" with this post to some, and probably a hater who doesn't see what is really going on in the game, but... Azpi is overrated. This has been my general feeling since we got him. Sure, you can say he plays out of position or whatever, but he isn't good enough to play on his natural side, and the guy we have playing on that side hasn't been much better the last year.

He offers absolutely nothing going forward, is terrible at link ups, and honestly, at times, struggles to trap a ball if it isn't played perfectly to him. This isn't just based off last night like I said, but actually on his entire time here. Yes, he has had good games, but he isn't cut out for starting every week. He simply isn't good enough on both sides of the ball. I can't believe we didn't use Luis when he was here... Give him a few games to get accustomed to the team and we would be mint right now. Frees up Hazard so much, and gets great swinging balls in, etc.

Gets too much praise for shutting down his wing... of course he does, he doesn't move out of defensive position, since he knows he can't help out...

Our LB and RB pairing are two of the biggest things holding us back... They are both infuriating to watch at times.

I'd agree that going forward he offers very little, but even so, he has been known to put some crucial crosses in for us - Branna's winner against Villa came about through Dave's sheer persistence, for example. Don't forget he has serious shackles on. When he played for Marseilles, he used to maraud down the wing so often, because his stamina enabled him to get back. At Chelsea, he has to cover for JT's lack of pace and that fact that usually, when we're being hit on the counter-attack, he gets next to no help from Fabregas or Hazard. He makes up for that by being the best one-on-one defender we've had at Chelsea since Carvalho. I don't think Azpi will ever be as good as Ashley Cole was at his best, but let's remember Cole was the best LB of the last 20 years. That doesn't stop Azpi from being a fantastic defender.

However that's just my opinion, I respect yours as you made some excellent points!

He's one of the best man markers for fullbacks, and his mental strength is very good.

But he rarely tries to use his left-foot for some reason. So he always ends up passing the ball into Matic/fabregas instead of hazard. This limits the number of times hazard gets the ball to the barest minimum.

He should also try running behind the defence after passing, instead of just standing there. When I was watching the game, I was complaining to my brother that he doesn't make forward runs and minutes later zouma came on and started attacking ferociously on the left like it should be.

Maybe Mourinho tells him to not move so that he protects Terry's speed but we'll see.

with a bit of luck , baba will be insanely good, forcing jose to choose between ivan and azpi, hopefully choosing azpi. partner terry with stones or zouma , and maybe he will be able to keep his place.

He was never a Dani Alves going forward, but he was perfectly capable going forward when he played on the right side. Could link up fine and would get involved in the build up oftentimes.

On the left side, I agree, he's non existent going forward. Definitely hurts us.

His taking one for the team playing as LB in Jose's system without sulking. Last season he was one of the best fullbacks in the world. His left foot isn't too bad either but of course would be a lot better in his natural RB position.

I would say he should be the starting RB in front of Ivanovic next season. Yes he made two significant defensive errors in pre season but I think he will get stronger as the season starts with more competition with our new iminent LB signing.

I rate Cesar very highly. Playing RB he would be the top 3 in the world for this position.

Not sucking on him, just pointing the obvious, that our defence might just lack balance with the level of Iva-Cahill lately and with Azpi on his left foot.

He is really pacey and strong on duels, no reason he won't be good offensively on the right, and I'm pretty sure he would be even better defensively on his strong foot.

Him being an offensive liability has nothing to do with JT. Ashley Cole played for us remember and routinely excelled especially in that magical 09/10 season.

Ashley Cole in his prime was magnificent. What a player.

I'd agree that going forward he offers very little, but even so, he has been known to put some crucial crosses in for us - Branna's winner against Villa came about through Dave's sheer persistence, for example. Don't forget he has serious shackles on. When he played for Marseilles, he used to maraud down the wing so often, because his stamina enabled him to get back. At Chelsea, he has to cover for JT's lack of pace and that fact that usually, when we're being hit on the counter-attack, he gets next to no help from Fabregas or Hazard. He makes up for that by being the best one-on-one defender we've had at Chelsea since Carvalho. I don't think Azpi will ever be as good as Ashley Cole was at his best, but let's remember Cole was the best LB of the last 20 years. That doesn't stop Azpi from being a fantastic defender.

However that's just my opinion, I respect yours as you made some excellent points!

See I just can't see the JT line as an excuse. Zouma came on, and I'm not sure if he is a right or left footer, but immediately offered more going forward. Not to mention, as clumsy, big and awkward as he is at times, he looked more comfortable with the ball at his feet than Azpi as shown me in a long time here. There is only so much that can be blamed on playing on the wrong side.

And IMO Hazard has been great at tracking back and helping the last year. We need someone who can go forward and cross the ball in and link up, and not stagnate our movement. At times there is a channel of space for Azpi, but due to being uncomfortable on that foot, he doesn't take it. Holds it, and passes across or back. His relentlessness and determination to keep crossing is great, but at times it will be rendered uselss if he isn't good enough at doing it. I think we all remember some of the absolute pearlers that Luis used to produce, and not to mention link up play. But, not to make this a reminiscing thread, or one where we look sour over a player that is already gone, my point is, he doesn't provide enough to the team, to be a automatic pick. The problem though is, he doesn't give away much on the defensive end, hence a player who is far better offensively, but gives away slightly more offensively will never be looked at.

• 3 weeks later...